The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2008, 10:17 AM   #1
roy reali

Favorite Bullet Company

I just did a quick inventory of my reloading supplies. One thing I noticed is that I have bullets made by just about all the manufacturers. I guess each of the companies have certain projectiles that I like or have good luck with. But that got me to thinking. Which is my favorite bullet maker?

This isn't the brand that makes one or two bullets that I like, but one that has many good ones. In other words, most of their bullets work quite well. This would be one company that I could get all my bullets from and be pretty happy about it.

My favorite bullets tend to come from Sierra. Regardless of cartridge or application, their bullets always seem to do well. Maybe the not the best, but rarely have I tried a Sierra bullet that was a real dud.

So, what company would you consider to be your favorite when it comes to bullets? Not the company with one or two good bulets, but the one that you seem to have the best, overall success with?
Old March 8, 2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Well, you said my favorite. Sierra, hands down my favorite. This is not taking into consideration of price, but application.

I think if I were an avid hunter, Barnes may be up there. However, I love punching paper at a distance. Sierra's MatchKing rules the roost in my bullet storage area.

As far as pistol, Remington bulk ammo takes the cake (Winchester a close second). Unlike rifle shooting, I want an easy loading bullet that gives me no grief. I'm shooting my pistols for combat accuracy and reliability, not trying to hit a target at 25yds. with 1" spread.

I thought Rainier was going to top the list, but the price of it is going through the roof also and I have to expand the mouth of my cases more than I care for in order to keep from stripping the plating. So, they're actually at the bottom of my list....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 8, 2008, 12:03 PM   #3
TexasSeaRay

For cast bullets, it's no contest. . .

Mastercastbullets.com produces the most consistent and best shooting lead bullet I've loaded in over twenty years. The fact that Mike is a retired cop, extremely knowledgeable and experienced in both casting and reloading and will pass advice and suggestions along only sweetens the deal. Flat rate shipping is the frosting on the cake.

For factory bullets, in handgun calibers I like Hornady XTP. For long guns, I like Nosler for accuracy shooting and Hornady, along with some Speer products, for general shooting.

For hunting, hands down it's Barnes.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 8, 2008, 12:08 PM   #4
CPTMurdoc30

I have two that I will go to every time I look at midway. Hornady for their V-max bullets and match bullets and Sierra for their match bullets.
Old March 8, 2008, 06:06 PM   #5
DWARREN123

For JHP's in 40 S&W it is Magnus Bullets. They do very well for me. I especially like their 165gr JHP's.
Old March 8, 2008, 06:27 PM   #6
somerled

In rifle bullets, I use mostly Sierra and then Hornady runs second. I'm not fussy about jacketed handgun bullets. Usually I buy the bulk Remington or Winchester bullets.
Old March 8, 2008, 07:02 PM   #7
45Marlin carbine

pistol jacketed I like Remington regular and Golden Sabre, GS is the most accurate by an edge shooting out of my Marlin Camp Guns.
I also like MasterCastbullets for practice slugs.
Hornady for rifle sometimes I'll spring for Sierra or Nosler.
Old March 8, 2008, 08:26 PM   #8
Darren007

Most of my rifles are Milsurp and for whatever reason I cant explain, Hornady always and consistently shoots the most accurately out of all of them. I've used Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, you name it. All the other brands shot decent in the various styles and weights, but again the Hornady bullets I use just seem to shoot a bit more accurately.

My pistols and revolvers are the same. Although with my pistols, I will say that Sierra and Hornady are just about even.

I guess what im trying to say is....Hornady all the way for me!!!
Old March 8, 2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Ken O

I shoot compititions, so my expeience is with paper punching. For mid and long range matches (600 and 1000 yards) I shoot mostly Sierras, but also shoot lots of Burgers. My short line ammo (200, 300 yard) I like Hornadys. I guess this could get into a Ford/Chevy type thing.

For IDPA, ISPC, Steel Challege, I cast my own, but for my 625 revolver that doesnt like lead, I feed it FMJ whenever its on sale, Winchester, Remington etc.
Old March 8, 2008, 09:10 PM   #10
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
I guess this could get into a Ford/Chevy type thing.
Not with me, because whatever works best for the shooter/reloader is what works best.

The thing I love about reloading is the freedom to experiement with the variables such as which bullet with which powder with which primer, etc.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 9, 2008, 12:32 PM   #11
mrawesome22

Accurate. Deadly. Dependable.

Hornady.
Old March 9, 2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Ruger4570

I have used Sierra a lot, I took my last 4 Elk with the Sierra .35 cal 225 Gr Bt's. I have read several threads condemning the Sierra as "blowing up and not pennetrating" I dunno, all 4 Elk had complete pennetration with no bullets recovered and one of the Elk it was darn near a Texas Heart shot, I still never recovered a spent bullet. I also have had great luck with the Nosler Partitions.
Accuracy wise, my gun will get 3/4" groups with the Sierras at 100 yards all the time.
Old March 9, 2008, 03:36 PM   #13
Sigma 40 Blaster

mastercastbullets.com is my favorite cast bullet supplier.

I can't offer any opinions about FMJ bullets as I don't do anything important enough to justify the extra expense.
Old March 9, 2008, 06:08 PM   #14
hodaka

For pistols, the Remmy jackets bullets seem to have the best cost/performance ratio, for rifles, I was once a Sierra shooter, now I buy mostly Bergers. I would love to shoot lead in my pistols but they are not accurate out of my Glock and P7 so I pay more.
Old March 9, 2008, 07:14 PM   #15
jamaica

For my rifles, Hornady.

For my handguns, price is the big factor, not fussy about the brand.
Old March 9, 2008, 08:16 PM   #16
taylorce1

Quote:
I have used Sierra a lot, I took my last 4 Elk with the Sierra .35 cal 225 Gr Bt's. I have read several threads condemning the Sierra as "blowing up and not pennetrating" I dunno, all 4 Elk had complete pennetration with no bullets recovered and one of the Elk it was darn near a Texas Heart shot, I still never recovered a spent bullet. I also have had great luck with the Nosler Partitions.
Accuracy wise, my gun will get 3/4" groups with the Sierras at 100 yards all the time.
+1
Got to love Sierra's, I use them in much of my hunting, varminting, and shooting loads. I've never had a Sierra bullet blow up either but of course I don't try to use the lightest possible bullet to get the job done either. If I feel the need for a more durable bullet I step into Nosler Partitions, I generally use them when I try and take elk with smaller than .308 calibers.
Old March 9, 2008, 11:13 PM   #17
Hello123

Nosler and Sierra. Have yet to try Hornady.
Old March 10, 2008, 09:08 AM   #18
gunrac

Ford vs. Chevy or Dodge................Toyota.....Just a lucky flyer!
Old March 10, 2008, 01:10 PM   #19
BigJimP

I use Montana Gold exclusively - very consistent and high quality product in my experience.
Old March 10, 2008, 01:54 PM   #20
Shoney

RIFLE
Target - Sierra
Game getting ability - Nosler Partition
Harvesting Game for meat quality - Hornady Interlock

HANDGUN
Target Jacketed - Montana Gold
Target lead - several shoot well, Rainier, Berry's, Oregon Trail
PD - Gold Dot and XTP
Hunting - varies
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 10, 2008, 04:26 PM   #21
elkman06

+5...Hornaday out of my rifles. Not sure on pistol as I am fairly new to these in reloading.
elkman
Old March 13, 2008, 12:30 PM   #22
mick0311

This is my first post over here, but I've been lurking for a long time. Thanks for all the info and contributions from everyone here. Pretty good crowd. I am also another happy shooter of mastercastbullets.com Mike makes great bullets and backs them up with his service.

Thanks again.
Mick
Old March 13, 2008, 02:19 PM   #23
azredhawk44

Rifle: Hornady
(ETA: Mike @ Mastercast wouldn't make me any 7.62x54R bullets )
Handgun: Mastercast