The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2008, 08:56 AM   #1
CowTowner

7mm WSM deburring tool

OK, this is beginning to drive me crazy.
I'm going through case prep for my 7mm WSM. Tumble the brass, decap, size and then deburr the inside of the neck, but can't do the outside with my Lee tool.
I have NO desire to buy the electric RCBS tool.
But I do need to know what tool I can use that will finish the job.
Thanks in advance.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 14, 2008, 11:57 AM   #2
somerled

Lyman makes a case prep kit that can be used with any power screwdriver. It sure saves some wear and tear on the hands.
Old March 14, 2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I gather that the Lee tool is running into the shoulder before it reaches the neck? The RCBS hand cutter will, too, then, I expect. Hmmm. I think the simplest approach will be to buy a fine triangular file and lay the outside neck up against it at 45° and place your thumb against the opposite side of the neck, and turn the case using light pressure from that thumb. The outside deburring won't require exact matching evenness unless you crimp the case mouth. If you are not crimping or are crimping with the Lee Factory crimp dies (which works below the case mouth) then just removing the wire edge (burr) the trimming left behind is good enough. Practice with the file will make it about as quick as a special tool.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 14, 2008, 01:45 PM   #4
CowTowner

The File Trick Works

Unclenick, you hit the nail on the head. I have been using a small, fine, flat file. I'm just wondering if there might be a hand tool that fits these cases correctly to speed the process up a little. I don't load them a lot, but when I do, I'll load a couple hundred.

somerled, I'll need to see one to verify it fits these cases.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 14, 2008, 04:29 PM   #5
mrawesome22

I wonder if a 50BMG tool would work?
Old March 14, 2008, 08:24 PM   #6
somerled

The Lyman Power Chamfer and Deburring tool set comes with 8-32 thread adapters. The outside deburring tool, the inside chamfering tool, neck cleaing and primer pocket cleaners can be threaded on the adapters and then used in a power screwdriver.

The outside deburring tool resembles the rear end of a RCBS or Wilson hand deburring tool only it has a broader, more shallow opening. I can deburr anything from .45-70 to .17 Rem with it. It has the central post that fits into the case mouth.

Here is a link to it at Midway USA--the outside deburrer is at the bottom right.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...805&t=11082005
Old March 15, 2008, 08:51 PM   #7
CowTowner

And Lyman is the Winner!

somerled, I now have one on order. And with the St. Patrick's Day savings, it was a good deal indeed. Thanks for the advice. I await it's arrival to test.