The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 24, 2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Dusty Dan

Robar, anyone?

I'm new to shooting and am just starting to narrow down the list of what I would like to own. In my investigations I came across the website for the Robar company, and discovered it's like six miles from my house. Anyone have any experience with their refinishing processes, or have any other work done by them? Just curious.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:10 AM   #2
jrp09

Robar is one of the top firearms refinishing and gunsmithing companies in the USA. While, to date, I have not had any work done by them, some of the top firearms people in the country highly recommend them. Their NP3 and Roguard finishes are proprietary and have proven themselves over the years.
You are fortunate to live so close to them.

HTH
John
Old May 25, 2006, 12:22 AM   #3
Dusty Dan

Nice to know...I'll add that to my very short list of positives for this town. Looking forward to checking them out.
Old May 25, 2006, 04:00 PM   #4
RJay

I've had several guns worked on by Robar and I am pleased with the quality and service they provide.
Old May 25, 2006, 05:50 PM   #5
RsqVet

Dan -- Phoenix is something of a hub for small arms because it's a gun friendly state, also in Phoenix are McMillan Rifles and Stocks, Yost-Bonanaiz Custom (A top 1911 custom smith) , Nelson Ford Gunsmithing (a top 100 per the gunsmith guild), and a few others that are slipping my mind, Plus Gary Reeder is up north as is Vang Comp systems, both places I'd like to buy things form in time and when you figure shipping costs it's probibly more economical (not to mention more fun to go pick it up.). I have not used Robar myself but have seen their finished on friends guns and it's first rate work.
Old May 25, 2006, 05:51 PM   #6
RsqVet

Forgot to add if you reload Dillon is just up in Scottsdale, someone I work with was also featured in his catalog.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Dusty Dan

Thanks for the info--I know this is a great town for gun people; I've just lived in the desert way too long. Some green and temperatures under 108 in the summer would be nice.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:50 PM   #8
RsqVet

Yeah --- you could try for a job like mine which send me to ND for the month of july... jsut a though, plus it's a dry heat --- oh and since I'm doing some at home gun coating and ahve parts too big to fit in the oven I think I cent get to the right cure temp if I leave them out in the sun on alunimum foil.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:52 PM   #9
Dusty Dan

First rule of working in the summer--metal tools or anything black sit in the shade. If not, you'll know it in a hurry.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:22 PM   #10
steelheart

I have two Glocks (21 & 30) that I sent off to Robar for their grip reduction work. They rounded off the trigger guard up front, undercut it at the rear and removed the godawful camel hump at the rear of the magazine well, and recontoured the whole grip area.

They also applied a texture to the grip that is similar to Rhino liner for pickup truck beds. Now both my Glocks actually fit the human hand!

I would highly recommend these modifications to any Glock - the pistols fit my hand SO much better now, and they are much less blocky.

I am very happy with Robar's work and would recommend them to anybody.
Old May 29, 2006, 09:30 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

long time many rds later

I had Robar NP3 my custom Caspian 1911; perfect.