The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 28, 2006, 10:27 AM   #1
THENASH

Newbie Got a ?

New to the 1911 world. Had a general and embarassing question. I was curious about which direction the receiver in my colt is supposed to sit. It has a rounded side and a v-shaped cut on the other. Is the v-shaped cut face upwards or downwards? I've seen illustrations and they show upwards. However, mine is currently set with the v-shaped side down. Help a youngin'!
Old April 28, 2006, 11:39 AM   #2
hoghunting

I am assuming that you are talking about the recoil guide rod. Does the recoil spring slide around this piece? If it is the guide rod, the rounded end goes down into the frame and the "V" shaped end fits under the barrel.

If this is not what you are having the problem with, Post again.
Old April 28, 2006, 01:47 PM   #3
THENASH

You answered my embarassing newb question. Thanks you.
Old May 2, 2006, 08:55 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

Newbie:
Welcome to the forum - you will find most all the guys will help you.
I will tell you thsat NO question is embarrassing or stupid - we, on the forum learn that way!
Harry B.
Old May 3, 2006, 07:04 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

No question is dumb, and folks here will try to help. But it does help to know the nomenclature. If you don't have a factory manual, send for one, or check one of the many sites that have drawings, diagrams and takedown instructions for the M1911. It is probably the most discussed pistol in the world, with whole web sites devoted to it.

Generally, a "receiver" is the term used for the main part of a rifle or shotgun, the part the barrel is attached to and which contains the bolt and operating mechanism. The corresponding part for a handgun (I don't know why) is called a "frame". The part you mention is the recoil spring guide, which fits into the front of the frame.

Jim
Old May 4, 2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

Right on Jim - Indeed I got the same feeling.
I once tried to make a firing pin for a CZ52!!!
Failed!
The diagragm sure helps.
Finally ordered one from a guy in Florida and even had to shorten it!
Harry B.
Old May 4, 2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Echoing the earlier point: it is important that everyone here feel no question is too foolish or embarassing to ask. This matters because firearms incorrectly assembled are potentially as hazardous as firearms incorrectly handled. Indeed, I would go so far as to say it is the responsibility of gun owners to their friends and families and to the strangers next to them at the range, to be as certain as possible that their weapons are safe for use as intended, no matter what questions they have to ask to make it so.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 5, 2006, 01:48 PM   #8
THENASH

Thanks folks! I have the manual but when I looked for the number reference I read the wrong title. 36 looked like 38. I need glasses. Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement.