The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 14, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1
Bill Siegle

Ruger Blackhawk front sight question

OK I have a call into Ruger but no response yet. Figured I would try and find an answer here I have a new Ruger BH and the front sight is slightly bent to the left. I am out of adjustmant on the rear for windage and just need a slight tweak to the front sight to get back in the game. The front sight appears to be soldered on as there is no screw head showing.Do ya think it will it withstand a little bend if I clamped it down and applied a little pressure? I'd rather home remedy this as opposed to paying to send it back to Ruger. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old April 15, 2006, 02:59 AM   #2
cntryboy1289

vise and a little touch

Place the blade in the vise and use the weight og the revolver to slightly straighten out the blade. Make sure to not go to far since bending it back and forth can weaken it.
Old April 15, 2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Bill Siegle

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! Got it straightened out in just 1 try I placed the sight in a padded drill press vice and gave it just a hint of torque and I felt it move ever so slightly. Now I just need to finish up sighting it in and life is back to golden. Thanks again for the help
Old April 15, 2006, 07:22 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

Glad it worked for you

Good shooting with it.
Old April 15, 2006, 11:00 PM   #5

Glad you got your problem solved:
So now I can ask another semi-related question.

I have a Blackhawk chambered for .30 Carbine.
It has been years since I shot it because it shoots either way high or way low, I don't remember. The sight is fully adjusted and it is still way off. Does anyone have any experience with something like this. Are other than standard height front sights available for the Blackhawk ? What about rear sight leaves ?
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old April 15, 2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Bill Siegle

If it's too high you can file down the front sight to fix it. Just file a few strokes then fire a few shots. Repeat as needed.If it's too low you'll need a new sight. I don't have any idea if Ruger has different heights available but I do believe Bowen Classic arms does. I'd also suggest trying different ammo before investing any cash or filing just incase the issue is ammo related. Some ammo just won't perform well in particular guns.
Old April 15, 2006, 11:38 PM   #7

In .30 Carbine, I would expect the weapon (rifle OR revolver) to shoot point of aim with the standard GI load for the .30 Carbine. For a handgun, this means point of aim at something like 25 yards.
Mine doesn't even come close.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old April 24, 2006, 11:38 AM   #8
scgunsmith

try this before you file on the front sight.
screw the rear sight all the way down, add more front sight on the target picture. the drop the front sight down in the picture accordingly
Old May 4, 2006, 08:26 AM   #9
steve1589

You remove metal from the front sight to raise point of aim and you add height to the front sight to lower point of aim. Raise the rear sight to raise point of aim and lower rear sight to lower point of aim. To correct for left to right you move the front sight in the direction you want the bullet to go or move the rear sight the opposite way.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:03 AM   #10
629 shooter

How is the front sight attached on the Ruger single actions? My 357 Blackhawk's front sight has just the slightest tilt towards one side. I thought of the vise idea mentioned above but had fears of the sight coming off!

Since Bill's sounded way off and he was able to adjust it to his satisfaction I think I will try it with mine.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:50 PM   #11
Ifishsum

Quote:
To correct for left to right you move the front sight in the direction you want the bullet to go or move the rear sight the opposite way.
Isn't it the other way around? Adjusting the front sight is always opposite direction whether you're adjusting for elevation or windage.
Old May 25, 2006, 06:09 PM   #12
Bill Siegle

629, the front sight on my BH is soldered on. Probably what's called a hard solder. Very secure method. My old Single Six has a screw holding it on. Now when I flexed my front sight it went easliy enough but IMHO unless you need to move it for sight adjustment,I wouldn't mess with it. If you are getting a good sight picture with it now why take the chance? Cosmetic reasons wouldn't be enough to get me to take the risk.