The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 19, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Jacobie

new to bp, a few questions.

With fathers day coming up I was thinking of ideas for my father, I know he has been looking for a few revolvers, but he has mentioned how much he used to shoot bp. He has quite a gun collection but no black powder ones anymore (sold them off many years ago according to him) anyways, time for the questions.

I have been reading up on them a bit, but no idea where to start as far as what is a good brand.

More than likely going with a revolver not rifle, any particular brand to look for? Stay away from? Are the ones Cabelas carry any good? What can I expect to pay for a decent one? I don't really have a budget set, but would rather not drop a grand if he decides its not quite as fun as he remembered.

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
wap41

A ruger old army is as good as you can get.No longer mfrd but you can find them on gunbroker,still some new in the box ones floating around if it has to be new.[used priced about $4-600.]
Old May 19, 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Hawg

A Pietta from Cabela's is the best bang for the buck.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4
bn12gg

Jacobie-- I'm 64 y/o and came to BP approx 5 years ago -- started shooting as a kid. If you are looking for a nice revolver in BP for a gift, I'd suggest reviewing the options via Cabela's. I happen to own a Colt/Walker 44 built by Uberti. It was purchased thru Cabela's-- shipped to my home, no FFL transfer needed to Florida. Cabela's carries other revolvers most being lighter than the Colt/Walker. Stay away from the brass built revolvers re the manufacturer.

Just my .02

David
Old May 19, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Jacobie

Bk12gg, thanks. I'll take a look at it.

What else will I need? Sorry, totally new to the bp.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Poindexter

While the cap and ball revolvers are a gas to operate, don't overlook plain old .45Colt.

Perhaps a little more to deal with than loading directly into the cylinder but you can do almost anything worth doing in the Lower 48 with BP under a 250gr Keith style bullet in 45 Colt.

Just saying.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Before your buying.
I'd casually try and find out why He gave up on B/P pistols in the first place? Guns in general are always interesting to look at and talk about. But He may have a private reason for not wanting to own another.

S/S
Old May 19, 2013, 10:42 PM   #8
North East Redneck

Above suggestions are all spot on. I would suggest staying away from brass framed guns as was said before. Pietta and Uberti are both fine. As much as I like ROAs, you can find something cheaper and just as reliable. I like SS guns. Some people don't. I also like blued guns, just prefer SS. An 1860 or an 1858 would be my preference. Good starting points. The Walkers, Dragoons etc etc are nice also, and many people start with the 1851. Personally, '58 or '60 would be my bet.
You will need a powder measure, nipple wrench, balls, caps, powder, cleaning kit and perhaps over powder wads. Also lube (crisco is fine). I suggest you read the sticky 'so you want a cap and ball revolver' found at the beginning of the Blackpowder Forum.
I got my dad into BP a year or two ago. I sold him (yes sold, he aint the type to take free stuff, and yeah I lost money on the deal ) an 1851 Pietta. He has 8 years in the armed forces and is in his 60s, been a gun owner since the 1950s. He had never shot a black powder gun before this one. He still likes modern stuff, but the BP is growing on him. I think you're idea is great. Get your dad one. Makes for fun times.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:37 AM   #9
Pahoo

Choices !!!

Jacobie
Right now you are showing two good choices. ....
Quote:
A ruger old army is as good as you can get.
Yes, and they have gotten pricey and for very good reasons. These are getting to be collector's items and investments. Depends on you personal circumstances.
Quote:
A Pietta from Cabela's is the best bang for the buck.
Once again, Yes as they are more practical and very serviceable and won't break your bank. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 20, 2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Noz

Keep in mind, that although the cap and ball guns are by far the most fun to deal with, there is a learning curve involved. They can be extremely frustrating for a beginner.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:33 PM   #11
brazosdave

I gotta go with the previous posters, any of cabela's offerings is good. I wouldn't shy from the brass, maybe your dad doesn't want to shoot elephant loads. I have lots of b.p. revolvers, both brass and steel frames, and some of the brass frames are my favorite shooters. But it might be a good reason to ask why he got out of it. Or not. Hell, you know him better than us, lol! I'd find a nice remmy, 1860 or 51 on the Cabelas website, brass or steel, and go with what feels like a good choice and what is right for your wallet. ROA's are nice guns, if you like Rugers and such, but still nice guns. So are Porsches. There is a reason why I don't have a Porsche anymore. Same thing with a ROA.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:47 PM   #12
Beagle333

Definitely agree with Cabelas 1860 or '51 in steel frame. Both good choices and good resale value if he doesn't like it.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Rigmarol

I agree that you should find out why he gave up on BP in the past. He may not enjoy it.

I shot with a fellow who told me of a tale of his Mother being one of the soldiers who fought the Germans while defending Stalingrad in Russion during WWII. He remembered her telling him of her trusty Mosen Nagant carbine rifle and how well she could shoot it as a girl.

He found one on sale and bought it to surprise her with it. (His mother was still an active shooter).

He gave it to her for her birthday and the first thing she said was "Oh my, I had hoped I'd never see one of these ever again! They kick like a (bleep) mule!".

See if he would actually like one before you get him one.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Wild Bill Bucks

Jacobie,

Almost every hunter and fisherman I know will tell you that there is two things that you don't buy them for Christmas. Their Rods & Reels, and their rifles.

Most everyone is different, and as far as I am concerned, I won't buy a Rod & Reel or a gun of any kind without being able to put my hands on it personally.

The way it feels may be to your liking but the person you are buying it for may not like the way it feels at all, and because it came from you, he could not say anything to you about it.

It's OK to get a Fisherman a new Plug or bait of some kind and a hunter some kind of accessory for a gun he owns, but when it comes to the actual gun, that's something else.

My suggestion would be to ask him to go with you to the local gun shop, and let him put his hands on a few, and see what he really likes before purchasing anything for him. You might find out that he likes something totally different from what you had in mind.

I have 3 boys that I have raised and I figured out after buying them guns, and several years down the road, see them trading them off for something else, that has always been a good policy for me, and as I recall, I don't think they have traded one off that they picked out on their own.

Cabelas has quality stuff, and I would not be afraid of ordering anything they sell, but I would go to a dealer with your dad, and find out what he likes before I ordered.

Just my opinion, and I know 5th graders smarter than me.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:21 PM   #15
Dan_D

Jacobie,
You've gotten some good advice. Are you anywhere near Louisville? If so, it might be worth taking him to the Cabelas there. The added bonus of doing so around Father's Day is that they often run some of their best BP deals the week of....and if it's on sale online, but not in store, they'll match the price.
Let us know how it turns out...I wish my dad was into BP.
Dan
Old June 1, 2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Gatofeo

I would NOT buy a brass-framed revolver. Period.
I've been shooting cap and ball revolvers since about 1970, and only rarely have I seen a brass-framed revolver made with the same attention to detail as a steel-framed gun.
There is a reason why brass-framed revolvers are cheaper: lesser materials and less time are put into them at the factory.
Brass-framed revolvers are also weaker than their steel counterparts. Hodgdon 777 cannot be used in them because it is a particularly strong powder. Black powder and Hodgon's Pyrodex P are okay to use, but not full strength.
Sometimes you simply want to shoot a cap and ball revolver at its maximum load, for pure enjoyment or to demonstrate to others. Not a good idea with brass-framed revolvers; full-strength loads will eventually damage the frame.
I had an 1860 Colt brass-framed revolver in the 1980s. Got it for a song. Not knowing better at the time, I loaded it with full-strength loads. Within 100 rounds the ratchets on the rear of the cylinder had left their impression against the rear of the frame, and the gap between cylinder and barrel was widened.
Only then did I learn from a gunsmith that this was common among brass-framed revolvers when used with full loads. I felt I'd been cheated by the factory that made it (Armi San Marcos). Still do.
Buy a Pietta or Uberti, steel-framed revolver. If you can afford it, get a stainless steel Remington.
Many shooters new to cap and ball revolvers love to load and shoot them, but hesitate to clean them properly if at all. I can't count the number of cap and ball revolvers I've seen in pawn shops with rusted bores and chambers, because they were fired and not cleaned, then put away for years.
Stainless steel will eventually rust, but is more forgiving.

But others make a good point: shooting and fishing gear is very personal. You may wish to rethink your gift.

Some of the best buys on high quality cap and ball revolvers may be found at Buffalo Arms, though they are frequently out of stock. Check them first. Dixie Gun Works is typically higher priced than anyone else.
Midway and Graff & Sons, I believe, sell cap and ball revolvers. Not sure how their prices compare.
Good luck!
Old June 1, 2013, 10:34 PM   #17
oldmanFCSA

Ruger Old Army

I love my Ruger Old Army which I purchased back in 1979 in Cedar Falls, Iowa at Scheels Sporting Goods.
I shot lots of round balls until I figured out a load using 45ACP jacketed projectiles over a unspecified charge of Pyrodex. Worked great for me, but your methods may vary.
Old June 4, 2013, 07:43 PM   #18
reinert

Jacobie,

I'll stand by my Uberti, 1858 Remington New Model Army revolver with the 8" barrel. Mine's the standard blued model, which I've had for about 7 or 8 years now. If all of them made before or since are on par with mine, they are all exceptional handguns. The lock-up, timing, trigger pull, accuracy and fit and finish right out of the box is fine indeed. My dear wife got me one back when they were under 150 bucks, and it's one of my bona-fide keepers. Lots of fun, and easy take-down for cleaning. Be sure to check them out.

reinert