The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 6, 2013, 03:55 PM   #1
sirdiealot

help identifying weatherby stock

I was cleaning out my shed of some farm auction purchases i did last summer and came across some rifle stocks that i bought in a box of gun parts, ammo, and case holders. anyway really didnt look at them just took out some stuff that i wanted out of the box and threw them in shed. one of the stocks is a weatherby but know idea what it goes to other then the woodwork on it is beautiful. anyone know what it is or if its worth anything. will make another post with more images but it only lets me put up three at a time, and i dont know how you guys get the pics on here. but anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0272.jpg (243.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0273.jpg (242.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0274.jpg (245.5 KB, 22 views)

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.

Last edited by sirdiealot; February 6, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old February 6, 2013, 03:58 PM   #2
sirdiealot

and some more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0275.jpg (241.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0276.jpg (243.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0277.jpg (243.7 KB, 14 views)

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old February 6, 2013, 04:02 PM   #3
sirdiealot

3 more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0278.jpg (244.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0279.jpg (245.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0280.jpg (242.6 KB, 12 views)

Old February 6, 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
sirdiealot

and the last one, sorry bout the way i did this but dont know how to put them up on the screen like ive seen others do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0283.jpg (242.1 KB, 23 views)

Old February 6, 2013, 04:08 PM   #5
alex0535

Consider contacting weatherby if no one here knows.

That stock begs to have the rest of the parts that make it a rifle. Its beautiful but I have no idea what rifle sat in it.
Old February 6, 2013, 04:11 PM   #6
taylorce1

I doubt it is worth much today, that style of stock isn't popular anymore. Looks like a stock from Richard's Microfit, but could be an old Herters stock. From the pictures I can't tell what action it fits, probably some old Military sporter.

Actually that last picture makes me think it is a Richard's stock, I think they bought up all the old basketweave Weatherby recoil pads when the stopped using them. I've had two Richard's stocks come in with brown Weatherby recoil pads just like that one. I really doubt that is an actual Weatherby stock.

To me it looks like there is some damage to the finish. The recoil pad needs updating and I'm not a huge fan of the white maple spacers or inlay work. Someone with some talent did do the work on the inlays, checkering, and carvings. I might use it if I had a need for a stock to fit something I had laying around, but I'd rather pay more to buy something I'd like better.

Last edited by taylorce1; February 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: auto correct just doesn't understand!
Old February 6, 2013, 06:01 PM   #7
PetahW

It looks like it's a Weatherby Lazermark stock, with some additional inlay options added.

It should fit the Weatherby Mark V, so if it does, the action inletting should be straight, as if for a Remington 700, since the Mark V is shaped similarly, unlike a Mauser 98, etc.

Old February 6, 2013, 07:22 PM   #8
sirdiealot

so if i wanted to use this stock, i would need to buy a weatherby mark v. any year, or caliber or was there any changes i need to know about. this is to good looking of stock to not have a gun attached to it. so i either need to use it, sell it or give it away cause to nice to just sit in my shed.

Old February 6, 2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Another vote for contacting Weatherby. Send the photos, and take a picture from above with a ruler to show the length of the inletting for the receiver. Or, mail the printed-out photos with written dimensions.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:24 PM   #10
sirdiealot

ok i will try that. lol paid 10 dollars for the box of small gun parts, 2 ammo boxes some odds and ends shells and the 3 stocks...on is a fajen 10/22 stock i believe and a blank stock in the middle of being formed for something...actually looks like the receiver is almost the same as the weatherby one. got to love small farm auctions

Old February 6, 2013, 10:11 PM   #11
taylorce1

While it has a similar apperance to a Lasermark stock the checkering and the carvings in it are all wrong. That doesn't mean it isn't inletted for a Weatherby rifle just that without pictures of the inletting it is hard to judge what the rifle stock was for. Don't assume because of the name on the recoil pad that is what the stock came off of.