The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 7, 2011, 01:59 AM   #1
bspillman

i have a question about a taurus .357

I have a chance to get a taurus .357 mag stainless, or a taurus pt 809 9mm semi auto. I know this is a revolver forum but i need to ask if taurus revolvers any good. i am pretty new to fire arms and i see alot of taurus bashers on the internet. but i also see alot of people that swear by them. I have not been a member on this forum long but so far the info has been spot on. what do you guys think.
Old December 7, 2011, 02:11 AM   #2
Desertfox

I own numerous guns, from Sig to S&W to Taurus.
I own a Taurus Tracker in .44 Mag. It is not exactly a pleasure to shoot. It is a 5 shot revolver in a light frame. It is made for high power in light weight frame. I got it for back-up in bear/wolf country. I have put 9 1/2 boxes of shells through it so far. I had to put Pacmeyer grips on it. The ribbed grip was too small and crappy for my hand. No failures yet on going bang.
I wouldn't hesitate on buying another Taurus wheel gun. I know nothing about the semi's. For the price, it works and cleans up nicely.
Old December 7, 2011, 02:22 AM   #3
Jim March

A lot of people will give you their personal experiences with bad ones, or they'll have tales of woe regarding their customer service.

Look...next time you have that revolver in hand, swing the cylinder out and look at the "star" at the back of the cylinder. That's a critical part - a thing called the "hand" pushes on that and makes it spin. If it's a Taurus, odds are it will look like it was chewed into shape by a very small drunk beaver instead of being properly machined. This is, sadly, normal.

Look down the inside of each chamber in the cylinder. It might be rough as hell...we've seen that a lot.

Spend a little more on a used Ruger. You'll have a gun you can bet your life on.
Old December 7, 2011, 02:23 AM   #4
bspillman

.357 question

thanks for the reply one more question. will a revolver hold up to 2000 rounds of shooting. not at one time but i plan to keep this gun for a long while.
Old December 7, 2011, 02:58 AM   #5
Lost Sheep

It depends

A lightweight gun (of any design, revolver, semiautomatic, single shot, what have you) designed to be carried much and shot in dire circumstances w+has been designed for not so many rounds. 2,000 rounds on such a gun might require a gunsmith to give it a tuneup. Great for someone who has to carry all day long every day for years, but is not required to shoot except in those dire circumstances. A more robust gun, made not so delicately, but capable of thousands of rounds is inconvenient to carry for a long workday, as many law enforcement officers and others do, but will handle 2,000 rounds without breaking a sweat. Almost any Ruger will do 20,000 rounds, as will the Smith & Wesson N-frames, L-frames and X-frames. The K-frames and J-frames won't hold up quite so well, and the aluminum framed guns may well begin to experience frame stretch of you put 5,000 rounds through one.

Caveat: My figures may be a bit off (high or low), but the principle is the same. The lighter weight guns are generally made to be carried, probably on some kind of security or law enforcement job and must be reliable, but will in all probability not be shot very much. Such guns are designed for convenience and reliability rather than high usage durability. It is a trade-off, balancing cost, convenience and longevity. Rugers have always tended to emphasis longevity and reliability. Smiths have a reputation of emphasizing convenience at the cost of some durability and strength. Tauruses have not gotten a reputation for the durability of the Rugers, nor the convenience and fine tuning of the Smiths, but do have an edge in economy (cost) and carryability (in their lightweight models), but at the trade-off of ruggedness.

You have to find your own balance point and I wish you luck slogging through all the testimonials, advertisements and bashing.

Personally, I eschew Smiths because they have, like, twice as many small parts in their lockwork as Rugers or Dan Wessons. I understand what all the parts do in all my guns. I don't understand all the parts in Smiths, so don't own any. I do own a Taurus 22 revolver that shoots just fine, but it is over 30 years old, pre-dating the births of many Taurus owners, so maybe it isn't representative of their current production.

Check out the "sticky" thread by Jim March at the top of the revolver section entitled (something like) "How to check out a revolver". If a gun passes all those inspections, Taurus, Ruger, Smith or Korth, it will probably serve you well in its intended design function. Just don't expect an aluminum framed revolver to last like a steel one.

But 2,000 rounds should not stress a well-adjusted revolver (unless you are running very hot loads in a super lightweight). Anything that expires after what amounts to a break-in period for a Ruger isn't worth looking at in the first place.

Factors like throat erosion, frame stretch, forcing cone cracking, flame cutting can happen to any gun, depending on the loads being shot through it, shortening the gun's life. Be reasonable and 2,000 rounds is just a warm-up.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old December 7, 2011, 02:59 AM   #6
Jim March

A Ruger (any model) has just finished it's break-in at that point . Seriously. The very best DA trigger I've ever felt in my life was on a Ruger GP100 that had been a range rental for about 10 years. That thing probably had upwards of 50,000 rounds on it, and may have hit six digits. The trigger was absolutely, positively "like butta". Just astounding, DA and SA. Bone-stock springs, bone-stock gun, never a bit of work on it other than a total teardown for cleaning once in a while. It was one of their most popular guns, and had been ever since it got the trigger to that point over five years ago that the owner could remember.

And they're designed to be taken totally apart with just a single screw.

Understand, the GP100 is normally NOT known for a perfect trigger. Not when you first get 'em. 2,000 dry-fires while watching TV for a couple of weeks helps a lot.

Don't try that with a Taurus.
Old December 7, 2011, 04:33 AM   #7
dascottsman

For real, don't dry fire your Taurus.

I had a ported Taurus .357 that I usually only shot .38's and some +p .38's out of that failed me after 200 rounds. Something internal failed and the cylinder would not swing open any longer. I had a bit of a time explaining to them when trying to ship it that is was not loaded, but finally got it back to them. Taurus fixed the weapon without question. But I figured, it failed once, I won't give it a second chance in a defensive situation and off to the gun show she went.....

Just my $0.02.........
Old December 7, 2011, 08:16 AM   #8
bspillman

thanks for the info

i think i will pass on this gun.
Old December 7, 2011, 08:59 AM   #9
Quincunx

On a positive note....

I bought a Taurus 431 back in the early 90's, and except for a loose cylinder latch (easily fixed w/a drop of Loctite) I've never had a problem with it. It's now the wife's primary carry gun; she likes it so much that I bought her another one about 2 years ago as a back-up. I doubt it would stand up to industrial-strength 20k+ round use (e.g., Ruger), but it works well for what it is.
Old December 7, 2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Deja vu

If a gun needs a tune up after 2000 rounds some thing is wrong. Such a gun would only last me about a year.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 7, 2011, 09:34 AM   #11
roaddog28

Like others have said, stay with Ruger or S&W. A GP100 or a S&W 686 is a good choice. Both of these revolvers can handle 357 magnums. Another option would be a Ruger Security Six 357 magnum. The Sixes series of revolvers is as tough as nails for durability. They are a little smaller in frame size than a GP100 or a S&W 686 but stronger than the lighter frame S&W revolvers. The Security Six shares a similiar trigger group and action as a GP100. Security Sixes can take thousands of rounds before needing any work.
Good luck with your decision,
Howard
Old December 7, 2011, 09:53 AM   #12
Jim March

Yeah, the "DA Six" series Rugers rocked. They were basically equivalent to the S&W K-frames the way the GP100 is in the same ballpark as the L-frames. The GP100 and L-frames like the 686 are pretty close on strength but the Six series was significantly tougher than the Ks.

To me the coolest Ruger DA wheelgun ever was the Speed Six, esp. with the 2.75" barrel. Factory rounded grip frame, fixed sights, one of the best "streetfighter" wheelguns ever made by anybody. Expect to pay $400+ for a cherry specimen but they're just superb guns if you're looking for a street carry piece.
Old December 7, 2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Newton24b

youll get lots of variable answers no matter where you go. here is general consensus

1. ayoob says the taurus model 85s sunb noses are GOOD quality for the price and more then good enough for the cash strapped person trying to get into self defense who wants good quality, dependability, with a low price.

2. berretta clones are their best semi auto, pretty much hard to mess those ups.

also what is the actual revolver model your looking at? some are better then others in regard to aftermarket grips and so on.
Old December 7, 2011, 10:41 AM   #14
khegglie

I had a model 651 357 (used) that failed to lock up after 50 rounds of 357. The seller took it back for what I paid for it towards a Ruger LCR.
I have a model 85 that has never given me any problems at all.
Old December 7, 2011, 10:42 AM   #15
OkieCruffler

Yeah yeah yeah, out come the "taurus sux" horde.

My wife and I both carry (and shoot) Taurus 650's. I have over 5K thru mine and it still hasn't blown up in my hand. I might add I don't load lite 357's.
Old December 7, 2011, 11:14 AM   #16
pesta2

Quote:
Spend a little more on a used Ruger. You'll have a gun you can bet your life on
Yep.

HAD 4 Taurus revolvers, 2 went to factory for repair, one to order parts for, 75% failure rate for me. Note I said had. I HAVE 6 Ruger revolvers, not one problem.
Old December 7, 2011, 12:12 PM   #17
kinggabby

Have a Taurus 617 7 shot 357 snub and I just love it even love shooting full loads. And I have it as my EDC for now.And one of my next purchases will be a Taurus 817 7 shot 38SPl . What model of 357 were you looking at ? I think people get hung up on names.
Old December 7, 2011, 01:07 PM   #18
AirForceShooter

if it's a model 689 GRAB IT.

They're fantastic and as good as any S&W you'll ever shoot or own

AFS
Old December 7, 2011, 02:15 PM   #19
khegglie

I don't see a "Taurus Sux " thing going here. I've only had the described prob with ONE out of the 5 I've owned.
Old December 7, 2011, 02:33 PM   #20
new_scopeshooter

i have never had a problem with the revolvers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i did have an issue with the 24/7 9mm....the polymer frame cracked.. they fixed it free and had it back to me in 2 weeks...
Old December 7, 2011, 04:21 PM   #21
thedaddycat

"To me the coolest Ruger DA wheelgun ever was the Speed Six, esp. with the 2.75" barrel."

Jim, that is the one I have. It's a nice gun but a little short for my tastes, at least for fun at the range with my daughters. They're still learning so a heavier longer barreled wheel gun is better.

I have a couple of S&Ws, a couple of Rugers and a Taurus. I regularly shoot the first ones, not so much the Taurus. Maybe I need more range time with it...
Old December 7, 2011, 07:42 PM   #22
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
i think i will pass on this gun.
Good call. You can't go wrong with a Ruger or a S&W.
Old December 7, 2011, 08:18 PM   #23
Mike Irwin
Staff

Duplicate of thread posted in General Handguns (the correct place for a "semi-auto vs revolver" thread).

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread