The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 6, 2009, 11:31 PM   #51
laytonj1

Quote:
Jim, I gotta ask?

These are coming into your shop or something right? Their like,....... not all yours.......
No. Not my guns. I've never blown one up. And if I did, by my own fault, I would not post it on the internet for the world to see.

Jim
Old November 7, 2009, 12:37 AM   #52
smleno1mkIII

HOLY CRAP!!! must have been one of those idiot hillbilly handloaders that thinks oh I can make my 357 shoot with the power of a 44mag just fill the case all the way up with uniuqe I once overheard someone say those exact words in sportsman's warehouse a few years back yeah I told him to go right on ahead and blow yourself up idiot. I taught myself how to reload and I have been doing it for over 6 years now without a single mishap. God its called reading the book all the way through and listening to all the warnings people. gp 100 factory load YFR when pigs fly oh s@#$ swin flu hahaha

Last edited by smleno1mkIII; November 7, 2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old November 7, 2009, 02:36 AM   #53
smleno1mkIII

factory load bbbbBS
Old November 7, 2009, 03:17 PM   #54
TRX

A friend blew the topstrap off a Taurus .44 with PMC ammunition. Taurus replaced the revolver and PMC gave him a whole case of ammo in exchange for what was left of the box he'd been shooting from.

He never heard back from the companies, and it wasn't readily apparent whether the gun had failed or the ammo was out of spec.

I don't blame either manufacturer for acting swiftly to avoid a lawsuit, but it would have been nice to know where the problem was.
Old November 7, 2009, 05:35 PM   #55
Piper Cub

Has to be a Taurus
Old November 13, 2009, 01:04 AM   #56
laytonj1

Quote:
I don't blame either manufacturer for acting swiftly to avoid a lawsuit, but it would have been nice to know where the problem was.
When a topstrap is blown off and / or cylinder grenades it is almost certainly from an overloaded round.

Jim
Old November 14, 2009, 04:36 PM   #57
m.p.driver

Not a kaboom but a disturbing Colt story.They were bringing out the magnum carry and member at our range was testing one for an article.Not one to pass up a free chance to shoot, myself,my wife,and a friend all took turns.I shot six only got two on the paper and noticed that as i opened the cylinder it was binding. I attributed the 2 out of 6 to the front sight being cocked to one side.Wife and friend did worse and as firearm instructors i started questioning their shooting abilities.Couldnt get the cylinder open after the last six,so after looking at it i said i found the problem.I handed it back to the writer,revolver in right hand barrel in left hand.As we were shooting the barrel was unscrewing and you could take it apart by finger pressure.As much as i wanted one i passed on the magnum carry and havent bought a Colt since.
I think my 1909,1917's,and Official Police Positives must have been made in better times.
Old November 14, 2009, 05:20 PM   #58
hickstick_10

+1 on the pmc ammo

I bought some 44 pmc ammo and it was the wickedest hardest kicking stuff i ever shot, this was before i got into handloading, but i was suspicious since the jacketed hollow points were expanding immensly and the cartidges were sticking
Old November 14, 2009, 05:38 PM   #59
guy sajer

Customer brought this one in . He figured Ruger should give him a new one . They did offer to sell him one below wholesale .

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .
Old June 23, 2016, 04:48 PM   #60
Chickenthief

You called for a Colt.
This is a Norwegian Kongsberg Colt 1911 in 45 ACP:

A new barrel and it shoots just fine ;-)
I think a double charge but could be bullet set back, we'll never know.
Old June 24, 2016, 04:49 PM   #61
roaddog28

Here is what happens shooting 100 rounds a week with hot frame throwers on a GP100.

Old June 24, 2016, 05:05 PM   #62
ammo.crafter

Colt Boom

I had a kaa boom with a Colt Delta Elite about 20 years back.

I was using PMC ammo mat an indoor range and with the first shot I felt a bee string-like feeling in my hand and my face was burning.

Apparently the fired round was triple charged. The slide locked (thankfully) and most of the gases were directed via the grip...blowing off both grips.

Colt acted immediately and replaced the gun.

I later discovered that the PMC ammo was known to have been manufactured incorrectly and was to be destroyed but was sold to a distributer instead.
Old June 24, 2016, 06:39 PM   #63
Ocraknife

What years did RedHawks suffer from the barrel problem? Mine is an '88 I think

-Jimro
Old June 25, 2016, 11:28 AM   #64
briandg

I feel really smart. I came up with the same things as March.
Old June 25, 2016, 03:02 PM   #65
Jbar4Ranch

I did this one two weeks ago today at a Cowboy Action match. Armi-Jager .38-40 - most likely a double charge of Clays, which would have been 53% over Hodgdon's max. After 45 years of reloading, I finally made a wall-hanger.

SASS 47015
Old June 26, 2016, 01:40 AM   #66
deerslayer303

Quote:
Something interesting here: you notice how these things aren't spitting metal back at the shooter?

From top to bottom: we know what happened with the bad batch of Redhawk barrels. The wrong lube was put on barrels on Friday, dried out by Monday, barrels got over-torqued.

The second is damned impressive. A bad round blew but NO pieces scattered. Very cool from a safety perspective.

In the third, we see a fairly typical Ruger blowup. The topstrap bends buts holds, cylinder cuts loose. Metal goes sideways, not straight back.

In the fourth it was worse but wow, it STILL won't throw metal backwards. Nice.

These pics are I presume in response to a blown-up S&W pic recently. Which lost it's entire topstrap which went God only knows where, possibly straight back. Not as cool.

You can blow anything up. Worst case, a Ruger is less likely to hurt you in doing so. These pictures aren't a condemnation of Ruger but rather a vindication of their metallurgy.

I trust my life to a Ruger daily, and nothing in these pics causes me to re
Ruger FAN BOY post of the decade award goes to Jim!!! Sorry Jim I couldn't resist.
Old June 27, 2016, 06:44 AM   #67
TxFlyFish

They do that by design...it's called "break action"
Old June 27, 2016, 07:55 PM   #68
Joe_Pike

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2016-06-27-19-55-28-31660062.jpeg (8.8 KB, 733 views)
Old June 28, 2016, 01:51 PM   #69
EnoughGUN

kaboom

As for issues with factory ammo...
I was in the middle of a carry class shooting lake city ammo in a pretty new FN FNP .45
Fired several rounds then CRACK! and a slight buzz in my hand. Blew the mag out and decocker lever off but seemed ok otherwise. We stopped everyone firing, reloaded and fired another magazine. Performed perfectly. Afterwards we found the case with a rupture at the rim. Sent it back to FN and was sent a new gun and entire shooters package free.
Old July 17, 2016, 06:44 PM   #70
pathdoc

I have been reloading for eight years, but my fear of creating a disaster like this stops me from ever wanting a true progressive press - I know I'm not ready for one yet. As soon as I bought my Lee classic cast turret press, I removed the auto indexer (I'd previously been using an RCBS Partner press). I use it solely for the ability to keep the dies screwed in and settings preserved when I change calibres and nothing else.

The cylinder of that third blowup way back on page 1 looks like a refugee from a mutant tap and die set!
Old July 22, 2016, 09:33 AM   #71
Clark

Here are 3 Colt revolvers I have blown the cylinders on.

I have bought a lot of guns to try to blow them up. It is much harder than I thought, especially compared to calculating the stress on steel. It seems the yield strength for steel vs RC harness is not based on a 0.001 second pulse.

In 2001 for destructive test I bought (5) Colt police positive police surplus 38 specials for $80 ea +$19 shipping and FFL = 5/$495.... bargain.

But I loved the design, and have been collecting more. The Python cost me over $1400. Colts have not been a cheap date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38 special revolvers blown up.jpg (69.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Colt 32 blow up.jpg (36.2 KB, 85 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 22, 2016, 11:46 AM   #72
jackmoser65

Quote:
...but my fear of creating a disaster like this stops me from ever wanting a true progressive press...
Progressives are no different. I do the same thing with my Dillon's that I do with my single stages. Just visually check the powder charge before seating the bullet. Their powder check buzzer also works well.
Old July 22, 2016, 12:09 PM   #73
Guv

What 357mag GP100 load burns 22grs of H110?
Old July 23, 2016, 07:50 AM   #74
Salmoneye

Quote:
What 357mag GP100 load burns 22grs of H110?
I assume it was the 110gr XTP...
Old July 23, 2016, 03:29 PM   #75
Guv

Yeah, I think your right. I've been loading heavy bullets in a Max for some time and that seemed a little hot to me. That light bullet load should be reserved for a rifle or Contender, the forcing cone looks like it's been through hell.