The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 29, 2009, 04:57 PM   #1
azredhawk44

Movie Gun: DA Revolving Rifle

I saw a movie several years ago, I don't remember the name of it...

At one point a bad-guy sniper was setting up position to take a shot at someone (the movie is really fuzzy to me at this point) and the gun he was using was a Ruger Super Redhawk with a buttstock attached in place of a standard revolver grip and a long barrel. I think it was longer than the standard 9.5" barrel, but I might be wrong.

Anyone know the movie I'm talking about, and does anyone else remember this gun?

How would you go about getting a DA revolver converted to be an SBR? Would that be an NFA request and a custom build from Ruger's custom shop, or can you do it with an existing handgun?

While it obviously has drawbacks (forward hand placement due to the cylinder gap being foremost), I'd like to have something like that in my collection just for oddity's sake.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Cosmik de Bris

I've seen that movie too, it wasn't the Jackal movie was it?
Old October 29, 2009, 06:42 PM   #3
SDC

I haven't seen the movie you're talking about, but you could almost be describing this thing by Knight's Armament:

Built on a GP-100, firing a silenced 30-calibre cartridge, and able to be disassembled and carried in a briefcase. The Tsarist Russians also built stocked versions of their 1895 Nagant revolver for use by border-guards, but they didn't have the range necessary, so they ended up dropping them.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:43 AM   #4
azredhawk44

That's probably it, then.

This link says it's a .44 though...

http://www.gods-inc.de/macavity/Isle...h/sr_Wr09.html

Quote:
"Starting envelope for the revolver rifle is a Ruger caliber .44 Magnum Super Redhawk revolver. The crane/cylinder assembly is essentially the same. All stainless steel components have been finished by the black-oxide process."

"The factory barrel has been replaced by a four grove, 30 caliber barrel, 10 inches in overall length, with a right hand rifling twist of one turn in 9 inches. The front cylinder gap is adjusted to a maximum of 0.005 inch and a minimum of 0.003 inch."

"This is an exceptionally fast twist for a bullet weighing only 145 grains. However, the muzzle velocity is only 1,025 fps. The twist is required to stabilize the flight path of such a light weight projectile moving at such a reduced velocity, and to provide the necessary accuracy potential. To further minimize the tendency of the slow moving projectile to yaw in flight, "driving" or "rotating" bands have been milled into the flat based solid brass bullet in the manner of many artillery shells."

"Screw-turned with a needle sharp point, the bullet is encased in an aluminum piston with a black plastic front face seal. Both are loaded into a Federal .44 magnum case. Powered by an undisclosed propellant of undisclosed charge weight and upon ignition, the piston moves forward a small amount and its beveled face interfaces with the rear end of the barrel to seal the front cylinder gap. A rubber O-ring on the piston seals the case from propellant blow by, so that all of the propellant gas is driven into the sound suppresser attached to the barrel".
Suppression system sounds similar to a Nagant revolver. Odd.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:57 AM   #5
azredhawk44

Paper-patching a .429 inner diameter case to accept a .308 diameter projectile, and putting a .308 barrel onto a Super Redhawk frame: Possible?

Would a paper-patch give a similar result as the sealing method described, or would it just bind up the gun?

I suppose I could come up with some re-usable aluminum sabots and fit a rubber o-ring around the end to cushion the impact on the forcing cone and have the sabot bounce back a bit and not tie up the cylinder, otherwise. It's not like the sabot goes down range.

Would you expect such a weapon tends to stretch the frame from the sabot impact, even with a paltry 150gr bullet at a mere 1000fps? It's barely a .38 special when you really think about it...

What would be better in your opinion: A recreation of the Knight's revolver rifle, or a NFA SRH rifle in .44 or .454? The Knight gas system seems like it eliminates the forcing cone gases and makes it possible to use a forward grasp of the rifle stock. A regular .44 or .454 SRH would be impossible to grasp forward, I would think.
Old October 30, 2009, 11:13 AM   #6
azredhawk44

In general terms:

Given the fact there are kits to convert Glock receivers into SBR weapons as long as you have the tax stamp for an SBR...

http://www.hera-arms.com/gcc.php

Could I obtain a SRH and an SBR tax stamp and convert it into an SBR? Is the order of operations:

1. Get the SRH and leave it as a handgun,
2. Get the tax stamp,
3. Put a stock on it?

I'm really digging the idea of a DA revolving rifle. I might not even SBR it and put a real 16" barrel on it instead, so I can hunt with it... I don't think I'm allowed to hunt with an SBR in AZ. Depends on if I decide to do the .44/.308 sabot suppressed thing or just leave it as a .44 or .454.
Old October 30, 2009, 02:51 PM   #7
glockopop

I think it was the Dirty Harry movie with the vigilante motorcycle cops. "Magnum Force", maybe?
Old October 31, 2009, 09:13 AM   #8
SDC

There are a few people who have adapted 1895 Nagants for use with silencers, and if you wanted to do a "one of a kind" thing, you could convert one of those to a stocked rifle, with long ported barrel for use with a silencer.
Old October 31, 2009, 09:46 AM   #9
RAnb

Quote:
How would you go about getting a DA revolver converted to be an SBR? Would that be an NFA request and a custom build from Ruger's custom shop, or can you do it with an existing handgun
If you have the revolver and the stock, then it is as easy, just submit the ATF form 1. If you want to buy it already assembled, then go to an FFL/SOT class 2 or 3 and purchase it on the ATF form 4.

In either case, obtain the ATF forms from the ATF home page and fill them out in duplicate, two sided. Send it in with form 5330.20, your finger prints, mug shot and a check for $200 to the address at the top of the ATF form. The ATF will not deny it as long as it is filled out properly. You also need to ensure that you live in a state where SBR's are legal.

If you do it yourself with an existing handgun, then the serial number used is the existing one on the revolver. There may be people who have done this on the http://www.subguns.com and http://www.silencertalk.com forums.

Ranb