The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 16, 2015, 07:07 AM   #1
grantman

Thoughts on Sig 556XI Russian

Wanted to get people's input on getting a new 7.62 x 39 rifle. Been looking at the sig version of this on line. Although more expensive than the AK it has the benefits of an AR. I will definitely want to mount a scope or red dot on it. Some of the reviews I've seen online however state that it's real finicky with magazines and for the cost it may not be worth it. Unfortunately none of my local gun stores have any in stock for me to actually lay hands on and look at. Anyone have any ideas pros/cons on getting this versus an AK?
Old May 16, 2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Lurch37

I have an the older SIG 556R and after a very quick look on SIG's web site they both seem fairly similar. Mine does not have that cheek riser for the folding stock but I might have to see if it would fit my older model. Mine came with a SIG red dot optic that's ok... I have mounted a 1x4 Vortex on it as well. It DID NOT come with iron sights which I thought was silly with a $1200-$1500 rifle, so I had to order some as I like to have back up sights.

Mine runs great on everything I feed it, which to be honest is mostly cheap TULAMMO from Wal-Wart or some other steel cased stuff. The cheap ammo was one of the big reasons I bought it. That, and at the time, 5.56 ammo and AR Mags were getting hard to find and were expensive. I've never had any malfunctions with any of my mags, and I use steel and plastic ones.

I'm no SIG fan boy but they do make nice stuff, and they are proud of it. I do have an AK but the SIG is of course more refined and I can put an optic of my choice on the SIG much easier. It's accurate, fun, reliable, runs clean and takes cheap mags/ammo.
Old May 16, 2015, 01:02 PM   #3
noonesshowmonkey

There's a lot of mixed reviews out on the internet. I've been wanting one of these for a while, and from what I've gleaned among the shooting community that I'm in touch with, the Gen 2 556R is the surest bet for reliability. The later manufacture dates of the 556xi R seem to have solved most of the reliability problems--ie the mag-well problem was due to a 'bad batch', and is not an issue anymore.

As is, it's about the only 7.62x39 platform that can ring steel plates out to 600m with reliability straight out of the box.

Sig's customer service reputation is a bit schizophrenic, but I think that if you remain politely insistent, as with most things, you get what you want (eventually).

If I had the money to spend on toys, and I were getting into 7.62x39, I'd be getting a 556R gen 2 or an Xi.
Old May 20, 2015, 09:39 PM   #4
dvdcrr

I have owned some AKs and a couple SIG gen 2. The SIG offers a solid top rail for mounting optics. This is its only real advantage. It is no more accurate than my SLR 107. It is not chrome lined. It cannot be as reliable in the long term as the AK.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:26 PM   #5
noonesshowmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcrr
It cannot be as reliable in the long term as the AK.
Huh? It can't?

What reason do you have to say that?

As far as the barrels go, the Sig556 series have nitrided barrels, which is arguably a better, stronger, more resilient surface treatment than adding and reducing chrome to the barrel.
Old May 21, 2015, 02:56 PM   #6
Fishbed77

MAC's videos on the US-made SIG 556 and 556xi rifles have made it clear to me that I should steer far clear of them.

4 out of 4 of his SIG rifles have had major issues.
Old May 21, 2015, 02:58 PM   #7
bfoosh006

While the Sig sounds like an awesome version of 7.62x39... I have read to many crudy reviews to risk it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c5M66da820

Frankly I am not sure what to think of Sig rifles anymore... I want to love them, but even my friends 7.62x51 AR wouldn't run right... the XM80 FMJ bullets would not engage the feed ramps... as in ram into the flat below the feed lips, something that basic, should have never been an issue.
Old May 21, 2015, 04:56 PM   #8
Fishbed77

With the good optic mounts available for AKs these days (such as the excellent RS-Regulate series), one of the only excuses for preferring the SIG rifles has dried up.