The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 11, 2015, 06:54 PM   #1
mesabi

CZ 550 feeding issue

Hi there, I just picked up a used CZ 550 American in 6.5x55. When i push the bolt forward the round does not want to feed. It appears to not want to be picked up all the way and requires some force to finally lift into the bolt and enter the chamber. I am wondering if this is something that can be resolved running the bolt with a snap cap or dummy round, or is this something that will require a gunsmith to resolve?
Old May 11, 2015, 08:26 PM   #2
mete

While I was a great fan of the 6.5x55 it's now confusng . Are chamber and ammo the latest European specs ? That is 6.5x55 SE .Or are they SAAMI American specs with .308 sized diameter . Or do you use ammo of one spec and chamber of the other.
I've always thought it was dumb to have two different specs.
Anyway my great 6.5x55 deer rifle has been retired with honors after 25 years of giving me venison !!
Old May 12, 2015, 12:23 PM   #3
precision_shooter

Can you post pics of the bolt face, extractor, etc?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 12, 2015, 01:38 PM   #4
amflyer

If it is marking the brass circumferentially and binding at the lip of the chamber, it is the extractor tension not allowing the rim to slip under for smooth feeding. You can either set the tension on the extractor, or re-contour and polish the extractor itself. The former is probably the correct way to go about things. I did the latter on a 375 years and many rounds ago.
Old May 12, 2015, 06:37 PM   #5
mesabi

I will try to post pictures of everything going on. It has smoothed up a little tonight. I should have mentioned this. The problem only occurs with a slow push on the bolt. If I cycle it fast it does not hang up but you can tell exactly in the quick push forward when it would have.

I have some federal blue box and even with the slow push it does not hang up nearly as bad as Nosler Trophy Grade. Both cases and all under sized according to my Nosler reloading book. It does appear that the Nosler brass is .010 narrower in the extraction groove according to some calipers.

Thanks for the info guys. My 1903 and CZ 527 have zero issue with feeding. I want my new girl to be just as smooth.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:49 PM   #6
chris in va

CZ's can be a bit rough when new. They age like wine and cheese. Lube the bolt well, cycle it vigorously a couple hundred times and it should break in.