The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 9, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1
blackwaterstout

Problems with crimson trace lasergaurd

I purchased a used Ruger LCP with a crimson trace lasergaurd. The laser was not very bright so I purchased new energizer batteries and now the laser seems even worse. I checked the battery voltages with a multimeter and the voltages are in spec.

I've heard nothing but great things about crimson trace customer service but have not heard how they treat lasers that are not owned by the original owner.

Do they normally cover these things? The serial number on my LCP indicates it was manufactured in 2012. So likely the laser is less than 3 years old.

Guess it can't hurt to call them but wanted to hear first hand accounts ahead of time.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Rob228

Try cleaning the lens. They ship with what looks like a plastic Q-tip with foam on the end, if yours didn't come with those try some lens paper.

Also, were you using it in really bright light? They tend to wash out a little bit when it is really bright out.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:36 PM   #3
blackwaterstout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob228 View Post
Try cleaning the lens. They ship with what looks like a plastic Q-tip with foam on the end, if yours didn't come with those try some lens paper.

Also, were you using it in really bright light? They tend to wash out a little bit when it is really bright out.
I did not get any cleaning swabs with the used handgun. Ill try cleaning the lens but I'm not convinced that would be the problem. When I bought the gun the laser would come on and seemed reasonably bright but would quickly dim after 3-4 seconds. That's what convinced me to try fresh batteries. But from the minute the new batteries were installed the laser never did get bright even though the voltage on the batteries were significantly higher than the original batteries.

Gonna try cleaning the lens and maybe opening the laser back up to look for a faulty contact or something. If that doesn't work Ill call CT and see if they can help me out.
Old July 10, 2014, 02:37 AM   #4
bamaranger

probs

My outfit went gaga over the Crimson Trace a few years back, say 10 or so, and bought one for any any officer that wanted. I'd say we had about 12 on the road.

They did not hold up over day to day, all weather, patrol use. To my knowledge, there are none on the road today. However....., one common malady was the lens would get clogged with the tiniest bit of crud, and diffuse the laser, so you got a star instead of a dot. That could be fixed with the midget q-tip supplied.