The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 4, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Fleet

bolt overriding rounds

I've got a Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. When closing the bolt, more often than not the rounds will feed part way out of the mag and then the bolt will override the case head. Any ideas what could cause this?
Old March 4, 2013, 07:43 PM   #2
dahermit

As I remember, the Remington 700 is a push-feed system. That means the round must pop-up completely loose from the rails (where as a controlled feed system the extractor "captures" the round before it is released by the rails), in order for the bolt face to push it into the chamber. Try watching as you slowly push the bolt forward...at some point, the round should pop-free of the rails. If it does not, the bolt will ride over the round and jam. Note: a rail problem is more likely with a new gun. If this is an old gun that just started having this problem there are other considerations. Are you shooting hand loads or factory? If neck-sized hand loads, the bodies of the cases are slightly larger in diameter than factory, and could be causing some binding in the magazine.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Fleet

This is a factory original rifle, shooting factory loads. In going slowly, the 2nd round isn't coming free of the rails, and is being trapped by the bolt and the feed ramp.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:29 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
This is a factory original rifle, shooting factory loads. In going slowly, the 2nd round isn't coming free of the rails, and is being trapped by the bolt and the feed ramp.
If it is a brand-new rifle (as opposed to one that fed alright until recently), I would suspect that the inside of feed rails need smoothing. If you have metal working skills/experience you could do it yourself. However, a gunsmith is always a good idea.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Fleet

Definitely not a new rifle.....70's production. I'll stone the rails a bit and see what happens.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Bart B.

The first thing I'd check is the hardware that pushes the rounds to the top of the box magazine. Both the follower and its spring need to be free of any binding.

With an empty magazine, does the follower press easily all the way down and come back up when released?

Are the sides of the magazine inside walls and the follower free of corrosion and very smooth?

Is the follower spring weak?

Is the follower spring bent such that pressure on the follower's not keeping the same force on both ends of it?
Old March 5, 2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Sport45

Did it work before? If it did then it probably doesn't need any sanding.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:09 AM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
The first thing I'd check is the hardware that pushes the rounds to the top of the box magazine. Both the follower and its spring need to be free of any binding.
With an empty magazine, does the follower press easily all the way down and come back up when released?
Are the sides of the magazine inside walls and the follower free of corrosion and very smooth?
Is the follower spring weak?
Is the follower spring bent such that pressure on the follower's not keeping the same force on both ends of it?
All good advice. All should be done before altering the feed rails (polishing, smoothing).