The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 01:57 AM   #1
losixxx

Stoeger condor & Stoeger STF 300 o/u

Was looking at to finding a affordable over and under and I was recomended the Stoeger looked at there website and I found the condor went to Dicks sporting goods website and seen the STF 3000. So hear is a few questions

1) What is the difference between the two?

2) Is there another over/under in ther range of $450 to consider?

3) Are these a decent firearm?

4) Is Benelli the maker of Stoeger?

Thanks for your help and replies

Last edited by losixxx; January 28, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:29 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

In reverse order:

Beretta is the parent company of both Benelli and Stoeger; however they are independent makers. Stoegers are, IIRC, made in Turkey.

Decent? That will depend on what your intended usage is. Their quality has been hit and miss - in short, the ones that work do OK, the ones that don't require repairs. Handling is not what you would get with a better made gun, nor are the triggers as good. You need to check the POI/POA to see how well the barrels are regulated

In that price range, personally, I would not recommend an O/U that I would use for anything serious - whether targets, hard hunting use or HD

Between the two models, the STF is not listed on their site. It is my understanding, it is made exclusively for Dick's. I would suspect they are basically the same
Old January 29, 2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Jimbo-Indy

I bought a Condor Competition about 2 1/2 years ago. Mine was made in Brazil, not Turkey. Overall, not bad for the price, $610 out the door at Dick's. Did have some initial problems: stock not inletted properly, hammer spring for top barrel was dragging, causing light primer strikes; trim covering the space between barrels is glued on, came loose, had to re-glue with better adhesive; after patterning, need to change out the machine screws/spacers to get proper adjustment on comb (simple hardware store stuff). Since then it's worked fine. Triggers aren't bad. About 4000 rounds so far and still gong (I'm just a hobbiest @ trap). If you are handy mechanically, it's probably OK, If not, look somewhere else. For me, I was able to get into trap shooting when I had little $ to invest. It isn't a Browning, etc. but it will do the job if I do mine. Every now and then a friend lets me shoot his Parrazi (we are very similar in size/fit). I always slam it closed as I am not used to the smooth action vs the stiff Stoger.