The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 4, 2009, 09:36 AM   #26
Dwight55

I tend to give everyone the benefit of doubt when it is reasonably possible, but if I had been Skywalker, . . . about 30 seconds into his "presentation" he would have been given a terse, . . . straight forward, . . . "No thanks, I am not interested", . . . period.

And, yeah, . . . the door would have closed. In our area, . . . door to door folks are generally clean, . . . no hoodies, . . . pleasant, . . . and just more or less "Would you like to buy,......................................" is their sales pitch.

Anything else, . . . especially the hoodie, . . . would be very much suspect in my neck of the woods.

Just my $.02

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 4, 2009, 05:15 PM   #27
besafe2

I agree they were selling magazines. Without opening the door I would've told them not interested.
Old April 4, 2009, 06:14 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Actually the firms that do this type sales pitch are known to do very little to hire anything but the nefarious. Some go so far as to recruit ex-cons. I once watched a crime documentary of one such salesman who ended up barging on an elderly woman, murdering her and stealing her money/credit cards and car. Had her daughter not panicked at missing her routine call, and called the police he may have gotten away with it. I think he may have gotten on a bus and had they not tracked it down he would have ended up in NYC where finding him would have been very tuff! Some links to substantiate the threat from these types...
http://www.wowzio.com/pulse/501241_traveling-salesman
http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourmoney/s...r-to-door.html
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA71151S66.DTL
http://www.news12.com/Login/home_login?id=170583
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/oran...PQLEH957AHABH7
http://www.kbmt12.com/news/state/42271357.html
This is all from the first page on google following a search for "magazine salesman kills woman" So I am sure there are more cases.
Don't let anyone blow smoke up yer butt saying "it was just a magazine salesman... no worries..."
Brent
Old April 4, 2009, 07:20 PM   #29
Mike in VA

I find that when I answer the door with my 1911 or H&K on my hip they all take the first "no, thank you-", regardless of whatever they're pitching.

The only problem I had was back in VA when there was a new Mormon church in the neighborhood and it seemed like every other week a fresh bunch of 'missionaries' would come thru, some very persistent. I finally got fed up and called the church and had a chat with the head elder. I introduced myself (name & address) and explained that although I respect their right to proselytize, I seriously resented the fact that I had to be rude to uninvited people on my own doorstep because they didn't respect my wishes, i.e. 'no, thanks, not interested . . . ',and taht I really just wanted to be left alone. I asked him if he could take care of it - put me on a "do not call" list or whatever, or did I need to get my lawyer and the police involved, as I would have the next pair that showed up and didn't leave after the first 'no thankyew' arrested for treaspassing. He said he'd handle it and we weren't bothered again.
Old April 4, 2009, 07:28 PM   #30
skywalkrNCSU

I don't really know how I feel about answering the door with a gun on my hip. I don't really want anyone knowing I have guns in my place because then it could become a target for a thief for when I am gone.

Granted that might scare them away, but it also might make them think if they scout it out then they can score some guns when I am at work
Old April 4, 2009, 07:37 PM   #31
Renfield

some of the responses in this thread made me laugh out loud literally, thanks guys

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old April 4, 2009, 08:12 PM   #32
Nnobby45

Quote:
First mistake is talking to him too long. When you checked him out first time, you should have said no thanks and closed and locked the door.
I agree. When you're answering his questions, he's in charge---not you. It's called being "interviewed", "sized up", or use your own term.

Criminals do it, used car salesmen do it, panhandlers, etc. All people who want something from you.

Interesting that so many assume that he was a magazine seller just because he said he was. Or that, even if he was, that's all he was.

Most outfits hire clean cut kids, not dingy looking "ghetto types".

I remember an episode of Dale Hinman's show, (Body of Evidence) Court TV, in which a man with a long criminal record signed on with a magazine subscription company just to gain access to women's homes. The rape and murder he committed after casually walking thru the neighborhood, and TALKING his way in, was the subject of the episode.

Magazine subscription selling gives people a good opportunity to case your place and check you out in case he/she/they want to do a burg sometime when you aren't (or maybe are) home.

Yes, I know, I'm paranoid in my later years. I live in a semi-rural area and don't approach the door without a pistol real close, and don't answer strangers' questions.

Of course, I can be a sucker for Girl Scout cookies, or helping school kids raise money for a good cause.

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 4, 2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old April 4, 2009, 08:15 PM   #33
MikeGoob

why is he only doing one of two things? Good entrepreneurs multitask. Yes he could have a crappy job selling door to door, and he could be scoping out places where little old ladies live with lots of jewelry, to pass the info along to an interested friend.

BUT based on your story, I say he definitely has a side business of selling pot. Ive learned when strangers bring up drugs (or sex) out of the blue, they are looking for visual cues of interest so they can offer a deal. An instant scowl or look of disgust saves them from getting in trouble.
Old April 4, 2009, 08:16 PM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

HMMMM Girl scout cookies!!!!!!
Them and un-aged corn liquor are a right fine meal!!!!!
Brent
Old April 4, 2009, 09:39 PM   #35
snevensmores

Odd that others have a similar story as mine...

I had just bought my first handgun, and was sitting right beside the front door cleaning it. I'd called my friend (who lived down the street) for him to come look at it. Five minutes later, as I'm holding the gun, there's a knock at my door. I open it, expecting none other than my friend.

... and there stood two hot Jehovah's Witnesses.

They were brief with their spiel, I apologised, took their pamphlet, and they beat feet out of there.

GO CARDS!
Old April 5, 2009, 01:42 AM   #36
bullspotter

Hard to say what he was up to. I dont trust anyone i dont know at my door, EVER and i never awnser the door with out my 9 freinds handy. Had one of those guys show up at my moms one day while i was their, I couldnt see them at the door but i could hear them, things got serious pretty fast when i herd my mom say let go of the door..........
Old April 5, 2009, 01:53 AM   #37
Carryabigstick

The other thing you may have to consider is that he was not intending on robbing an occupied home. Home-Theft is most common in daylight. He may have only been ringing to see if you were home. If you hadn't answered he may have proceeded to break in your door.
Old April 5, 2009, 10:41 PM   #38
B.N.Real

I don't know you and you come to my door,it get's closed very quickly.

You try to keep it open and tyou r toes or fingers will be hurting.

My door,my property,I don't know you,goodbye.

The gun is always close just in case too.

Rush my door and get six 38 rounds in your eyeball.
Old April 5, 2009, 11:06 PM   #39
Nnobby45

Quote:
I don't know you and you come to my door,it get's closed very quickly.

You try to keep it open and tyou r toes or fingers will be hurting.

My door,my property,I don't know you,goodbye.

The gun is always close just in case too.

Rush my door and get six 38 rounds in your eyeball.
Nice way to treat someone who just wants to let you know that a car knocked over your mail box, or your dog was last seen running down the street, or lots of other things.

Perhaps you could be slightly less hasty in assuming that if you don't know some one they have no business knocking on your door.

Don't care for your tactics any more than your manners. If you put six slugs thru Bubba's eyeball, you'd be unloaded when his bros come in right behind him.

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 5, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old April 5, 2009, 11:18 PM   #40
Beetmagnet

I hate to say it...because I believe in being courteous as the old scout law says...but if someone shows up to my door unannounced, and I don't know them I act like a real horses a$$ to them on purpose. I just don't like the idea of somebody I don't know feeling comfortable about being at my house.

But seriously the one thing that I found that works well is a small note posted inside your front door that says: Third Shift worker, sleeps during the day, Do Not Disturb". It doesn't matter if you are a third shift worker...most people respect that sign and don't bother knocking. It's much more effective than you might think
Old April 6, 2009, 01:27 AM   #41
Nnobby45

Quote:
I had a very , very persistent magazine salesman one day and told him "No, not interested" and he kept on. So I told him he could ask Mr. Smith or Wesson if they were interested and he could not leave fast enough.
I expected the cops to show up next but they never did.
I hate door to door sales people.
A similar incident happened to a friend, and the cops did show up. My buddy said no thanks, he wasn't interested and the salesman? opened his screen door and actually put a foot in his house and was on his way in when my buddy drew his 1911, pointed it at him, and ordered him to get out. The fellow called the police from his lawn, for cripe sakes. They weren't sympathetic to his argument, no complaints were filed, and no arrests.
Old April 6, 2009, 02:00 AM   #42
bcarver

Sprinkle

i HAVE A MOTION ACTIVATED SPRINKLE THAT DOES WONDERS ALONG WITH THE "NO SOLICITORS" SIGN.
I think it was 50 bucks and made by HAV A Hart.
Found it in a Harbor freight or Northern tools... can't remember which.
Also keeps dogs from crapping in yard.
Old April 6, 2009, 08:24 AM   #43
butterboy

Ive had the exacty same guy come to my house, the same story about winning a trip.
He shows me something about what magizines I could order for subscipion, and when I finaly tell him no and turn him away , he turns his back and calls my a putz or something I cant remember, it took all my strength to hold myself from kicking his ass down a huge flight of stairs he had to walk down to leave my property.
He wasent about to try and come in the house I had my dog that recently passed but he was a 120 pound beast you would never ask if it was ok to pet him , he was a complete bas ass dog, as you can see I miss that old boy.
No one would ever come in my house with that dog inside.
Ive seen a thing on 20/20 about these people.
They travel around like gypeeze but I feel like they are really up to no good..
Old April 6, 2009, 08:40 AM   #44
buzz_knox

Quite a few of the door to door salesmen are convicted criminals. There have been several incidents where they have reverted to their prior career path.
Old April 6, 2009, 12:24 PM   #45
brj

Quote:
Nice way to treat someone who just wants to let you know that a car knocked over your mail box, or your dog was last seen running down the street, or lots of other things.
A good point. As a rule I usually don't answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone. But their presence at your front door could be justified.

Assuming you could at least observe the individual(s) on your front porch, what would you base your decision on prior to opening the door/refusing to open the door ?
Old April 6, 2009, 04:27 PM   #46
armedandsafe

I live in the county, so don't have many door-to-door people except for Jehova's Witnesses. Couple of nice old ladies, usually. I tell them I get my pamphlets from my daughter and that's that.

Once, one of the little old ladies spotted my carry because I wasn't wearing my vest. She asked "Is that the P89?" I told her it was the P85 and she ooooooohed. The other little old lady was not the least discomforted as the first one and I compared the relative merits of the P8x series with the P9x series she shoots. That is living in the country.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old April 6, 2009, 04:58 PM   #47
LoneWolf22056

LOL at all the jehovah's witness stories.

I have a killer JW story.

One time I was at a gas station, filling up my tank, when a big blue van pulled up and parked along the side of the station by the air compressor/vacuum. They all piled out, toting stacks of pamphlets. I was only about 1/4 of the way full and was praying I wouldn't have one of them hassle me. Sure enough, JUST AS I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA BE ABLE TO MAKE A GETAWAY, a large black woman asked me if I had a minute to talk. I was halfway into my truck and clearly was ready to leave. I still had the window open so she came up and asked me if I read the Bible. Trying to be a wiseguy, I said I read the "Koran" and "Suicide Bombing for Dummies" She went to hand me a pamphlet and said "Well, here's some interesting reading for you.." and I cut her off and said "That's the writing of the infidels!!! Alalalalalala (chanting)"

She got mad at my mockery of religion and she threw the stack of pamphlets at me!

So I gathered them up off my seats and took them to the manager of the 7-eleven. I told them that they were littering, and that a woman had dropped these all over the ground. The manager read the cover of the pamphlets and stormed outside and told them to get lost.
Old April 6, 2009, 05:29 PM   #48
curt.45

I just yell "GO AWAY" and continue to watch TV.

worked so far, kinda bummer to chase off some good looking women.
Old April 6, 2009, 07:05 PM   #49
sparkysteve

A simple "NO SOLICITING" sign fixes those problems. No cookies, meat, magazines, candy bars, vacuum cleaners, political supporters etc.

Dont tread on me.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:32 PM   #50
Mr. Davis

I have a bad habit of entertaining these door-to-door types for far too long. I'm not confrontational, but should know better.

Thanks for the stories. Reading situations like these helps my mental preparation.
Closed Thread