The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 10, 2009, 08:07 AM   #1
45Marlin carbine

crushed glass blasting?

anyone have knowledge of what crushed glass as opposed to beads is suited for? considering blasting s/s pistols for a nice re-finish.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
HisSoldier

Interesting concept, is someone using that? It would seem like beads would prolong nozzle life over the more aggressive crushed glass media. Speaking of this, using 80 mesh beads I've found hardly any texture. What's the recommended size?
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old March 10, 2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Playboypenguin

Glass bead is more of a polishing material. It will give you a soft pearlescent finish like on most Taurus Revolvers. Crushed glass is like using a garnet mix or sand. It will give you a smooth flat finish like on the underside of a Colt 1911.
Old March 10, 2009, 02:08 PM   #4
longrifles, Inc

I'll share my experiences with blasting media.

First, I've never used it as an attempt to hide surface inclusions. Dings, scratches, and tool marks need to be removed prior to application. I sometimes will blast a part just to be able to see all the "uglies" so I make sure not to miss any. Think of blasting media as paint, you must prepare your surfaces first. I use a fine grade of silicon with no more than 80psi at the gun. It gives a satin smooth finish that is non glare. I don't care for heavy media because it is just too "industrial looking" for me and it turns the finish into a dirt and fingerprint magnet. Water will get in there and I've seen 400 series SS barrels rust before waay down south where it's hot and muggy in the summer.

Here's what it looks like on barrel steel and receivers. This action is made from 15-5PH SS.

Hope this helps.