The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2006, 06:39 PM   #1
DBski

Correct me if I'm wrong

Am I correct in saying that you cannot shoot any of the new "steel" loads (non toxic) for water fowl in an old Remington 1100. I have a Rem 1100, with 30inch full chole barrel, shooting steel shot would destroy the barrel or choke. Am I correct in this statement?
Old December 21, 2006, 07:04 PM   #2
kudu

It would be very possible that you could bulge the choke of the barrel, or cause a ring in the barrel just before the choke and muzzle. I doubt if it would ruin in totaly, but I'm sure there has been the occassional case of that happening. About the only alternative if you want to hunt waterfowl with non-toxic shot is to use Bismuth loads.
Old December 21, 2006, 08:41 PM   #3
BigJimP

You cannot shoot steel in any gun, old or not, with a choke tighter than Modifed. Steel does not compress like lead does - so you can't shoot stell in Improved Modified or Full Choke barrels - even in new guns.

Go to a local gun shop - and find some books on hunting loads - some put out by the shell mfg's in terms of recommendations on usage of their hunting loads. There will be a lot of info in there about this issue.
Old December 21, 2006, 09:26 PM   #4
DBski

Just looked at the Remington website and they want $253 for a new 30 inch barrel for steel shot, that's more than I paid for the whole gun back in 1972. Back then if I remember correctly I paid a whoping $149 for it. I think I will try to get back into water fowl hunting next season again after a too long of a break.
Old December 21, 2006, 09:45 PM   #5
K96771

In the most recent issue of NRA magazine there's an article about steel shot and I think they said not in pre-80 shot guns.