The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2002, 12:00 AM   #1
APSAC

Extended magazine tube and muzzle blast.

A friend of mine and I went to the range tonight. Yesterday, he installed a Choate Parkerized extended magazine tube on his 20 inch barrelled 870. He had two problems. One was the Parkerizing at the end of the tube started to wear away after only twenty or so rounds of Winchester slugs. This is one of those tubes that extends past the barrel for an 1/8 of an inch or so. I told him it was probably the muzzle blast, which can be kind of severe. The second problem was the follower hung up around where he had to drill out the magazine dimples. We'll probably smooth out the tube tomorrow at work. Has anyone else had these problems with the extended magazine tube? I told him he didn't need it but he was all excited to have all the bells and whistles.
Old February 15, 2002, 01:06 AM   #2
APSAC

Erick, I'm not sure, I'll take a look in the morning.
Old February 15, 2002, 03:13 AM   #3
Intel6

Also could be a sheen from deposited lead that was vaporized off the slug. I get a shiney lead deposit on the end of my mag tube on my 11-87 Police when I shoot a lot of slugs.
Old February 15, 2002, 08:55 AM   #4
Hemicuda

My Marine Magnum, with a stainless factory extension sticks out about 1/8" beyond the shorty barrel...

it gets alot of powder/lead deposits on it, in a small crescent below the muzzle and on the front face...

they clean up with a bit of Hoppes on a patch... no biggie.

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old February 15, 2002, 04:30 PM   #5
Meowhead

I have the same problem, with magazine follower sticking. Dimples have been removed; it's actually getting caught where the extension ends and the magazine begins.

Haven't had a chance to work on it yet, though. :/
Old February 15, 2002, 05:14 PM   #6
2minkey

my winchester 1300 has the choate extension. recoil is ridiculous, but never had the extension tube damaged by firing it.
Old February 15, 2002, 10:10 PM   #7
wb880

Have same problems

I have had the same problems you had. The follower on my 870 kept getting caught on that section where the extention begins. After looking at it for a little while I figured out that the sides of the follower are cut to a 90 degree angle and getting hung up in that small area. So what I did was take a dremmel tool and sanded down the sharp angle just a bit so it is smooth and rounded, and since then I have never had a problem. If you want a better follower you can pick one up from Wilson Combat's Scattergun Tech. I didn't though, cause I'm on a College student's budget.
Old February 15, 2002, 10:58 PM   #8
Edward429451

You do have to ream it out after you drill the dimple. I didnt have the dremel yet when I did mine, I just used one of those inside pipe reamers, the twirly ones for copper pipe. Never had a problem at all with sticking.
Old February 16, 2002, 01:42 PM   #9
APSAC

Wb 880, He did exactly like you did. The functioning is now fixed. The parkerizing is actually wearing off. The unburnt powder must have burnt it off. We aren't too impressed with the Choate quality. This is the second item he has bought from them in the last two weeks and both have been extremely poor quaility. I hope they will stand behind their product as he is planning on sending it back. Wb 880 I am going to order a Scattergun magazinne extension right now.
Old February 16, 2002, 11:30 PM   #10
C.R.Sam

Finish comes off
The part is hangin out in the muzzle blast.
Warrenty situation ?
Would suprise me.

Sam