The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 18, 2015, 11:05 PM   #26
stagpanther

I've bought lots and lots of budget Chinese scopes (yeah--some people never learn, I know)--and one by one they ultimately all have failed--some immediately--some after a while. Nikon is as low as I go usually--even had my first one of those fail recently.
Old November 19, 2015, 12:40 PM   #27
zukiphile

Quote:
This Ncstar 2-6x allowed target acquisition of a closeup target very fast and easily at 2x, and allowed some very nice accurate shooting all the way out to 400 yds.
I have a very clear Bushnell 4x. For closer objects, I am thinking of sticking one of these, a SeeAll open sight, on top of it.

Just another option for skinning the close up v. far away cat.
Old November 19, 2015, 04:14 PM   #28
RAfiringline

I'm the OP, I went to the 100 yd range (bench, sandbags, good ammo) this morning and tested the scope, expecting bad results.

The last group I shot before this, was way low and right of center. I click adjusted to get it to about where it should be, and shot a few 2 rd. groups, got good results, did some more clicks to get just right at 6x. I tapped it to get it to adjust and ran the magnification up and down after each 2 shot group to see if that would mess it up.

The scope performed fine. At 6x it hits good, at 4x it hit about the same as 6x, and at 2x it hits about 2.5" above the 6x center, which isn't great but is acceptable for my usage.

I would assume that I had messed up the click re-adjustments a couple months ago after I had altered the scope for 400 yd shooting, but after I did that, I went back to the 100 yd range and verified that it was hitting ok.

I'll just leave it on the rifle. I do offhand practice at 2x with it every week and if my offhand groups COIs shift I'll dump the scope.

Past that, I don't know what to think

11/20/15 Keeping the Ncstar on this good shooting AR didn't sit right w/ me - I bought a Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33mm for $183. It's compact enough, it's variable, and nobody seems to complain about Leupold quality. It'll be fun to zero it and see what groups I can get with it.

Last edited by RAfiringline; November 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old November 19, 2015, 05:33 PM   #29
BobCat45

A number of years ago I had a Redfield 2-7 scope that seemed to change POI with changing power.

Wrapped a towel around the rifle, clamped it in a Workmate so it was stable. Put the crosshairs on the intersection of a fence post and wire at about 100 yards. Turning the mag up and down, the horizontal crosshair moved up and down.

Sent it to Redfield, they fixed it on warranty. It worked fine and I traded it off.
Old December 10, 2015, 12:49 PM   #30
cotz

Scope is the likely issue

In my opinion, it's much better to put a $1,200 scope on a $30 rifle that the other way around!
Old December 10, 2015, 01:02 PM   #31
stagpanther

Quote:
In my opinion, it's much better to put a $1,200 scope on a $30 rifle that the other way around!
"Everyone speaks gun."--Robert O'Neill
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!