The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 15, 2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Sgt. Mike

Cooper Rifle, as accurate as they say?

I'm considering the purchase of a Cooper Rifle from Montana. They show a target that has a very tight group. I realize the scope is 36x and shot from a rest. Has anyone found their guns to be top quality and as accurate as described? I'll be getting a centerfire somewhere between a 7mm? and the .338/06. I wish they had more in the .308 Winchester? Thank you in advance for your help. Michael
Old April 15, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2
johnbt

Years ago I was asking at the local gun store about ordering Model 57 Custom Classic. The sent me over to the sales guy who orders from Cooper and he in turn introduced me to a customer who had bought 17 Coopers from them.

He said they were what they claimed.

The targets are shot at 43 yards (the range is in a 50-yard building iirc.) I traded a few e-mails with Dan Cooper after I bought my father a Custom Classic rimfire - no problems, just some info for my dad. It is a very accurate rimfire.

Years ago there was a guy on one of these forums who bought a USED Cooper and it would not shoot straight. They took it back and recrowned it and shot it. No improvement. They rebarreled it FOR FREE. That did it. On a used gun.

John
Old April 15, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
johnbt

My cheap camera flash brought out the red in what is really a darker Model 57 Custom Classic stock, but the quality of fit and checkering and such is there. The rifles look better in person, I don't care who is taking the pics.

Old April 15, 2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
Cooper Rifle, as accurate as they say?
Absolutely! Every Cooper I have ever seen was a tackdriver. They come from the factory built to shoot 1/2" at 100 yds. And very good quality workmanship and outstanding wood.
Old April 15, 2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Sgt. Mike

Cooper Rifles

That is a real testimony to quality when a company backs up their guns like Cooper Rifle seems to. Now the next question will be what caliber do I want? Timber or long range? Decisions, Decisions, Decision, life is fun. Thanks and keep the information coming. Michael
Old April 15, 2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Locoweed

Just FYI... Dan Cooper is no longer with the firm. He made a sizeable donation to the Obama campaign and was driven out of the company. Someone else owns it now. When buying a Cooper you will also want to look at some deluxe wood to go on it -- that's where they shine.
Old April 15, 2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Sgt. Mike

Cooper Rifles

Obama campaign? :barf: Any idea on how the new guns compare to the ones made prior to the election? Michael