The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 6, 2010, 08:18 AM   #26
rattletrap1970

Dragon flies at a little pond with a Crosman 1377 pump pistol.
Old April 6, 2010, 02:33 PM   #27
4INCHSMITH

Little green army men + .22 air rifle = A happy little kid(me) that didn't bother Mom all day.
Old April 6, 2010, 02:47 PM   #28
davlandrum

OK, all you dragonfly shooters - I was told, and have no way to prove or disprove it, that all you had to do was get a "slow" moving bb (think red ryder) close to a dragonfly and they will commit suicide on it. They feed by grabbing bugs from mid-air and think the bb is a bug, but it is too hard and fast and kills them.

Anyone else ever hear this?

This is not meant to disparage anyone's "wing shooting" skills

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 6, 2010, 02:52 PM   #29
troy_mclure

i would never kill a dragon fly! they eat too many skeeters! my arch nemesis.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 6, 2010, 03:10 PM   #30
aroundchicago

One night last summer my wife woke me up to inform me we had a bat flying around our house, and insisting that I dispatch this critter immediately. Understand that unless I've got an intruder halfway though the back door, I'm not getting up. I told my wife to go back to bed and that I'd take care of the bat in the morning. Not able to sleep with the bat flying around, my wife armed herself with a tennis racket and set out on a short mission to dispatch this bat herself. Minutes later, dressed in ski pants, ski jacket and a hood to protect herself, she came back in hysterics informing me that this bat was making dive bombing runs at her. Not taking no for an answer, my wife insisted I take care of the bat immediately. I opened my safe, loaded my scoped RWS pellet gun, and located the bat attached to some crown molding along the ceiling of an upstairs bedroom. The RWS took care of the bat, left blood and a hole on the molding. Whats a guy gotta do?
Old April 6, 2010, 04:30 PM   #31
langenc

Is there an 'approved' load for cornmeal in a 20 ga??

Make sure you wear eye protection which might save your eyes when she blows. Might not!!!
Old April 6, 2010, 04:49 PM   #32
Webleymkv

I managed to vaporize a bumble bee with a .32 ACP once. The nasty little sucker was bothering be while I was at the range and was foolish enough to hover a couple feet in front of my Walther.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:04 AM   #33
towelie

You havent had fun till you've had a Drozd.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:21 PM   #34
markj

Years ago I was tending bar on Fathers Day, a friend came in that carries a black powder .44 cap and ball shooter. I asked him if I could see it, he handed it over and we went outside. I saw a starling in a puddle flipping water onto it. I aimed for the tail and pulled the triggfer. I shot that birds butt off. Didnt kill it as it tried to fly off. That gun was loud and smoky.

Ol Jim was killed in his kitchen, someone shot him and tried to make it look like suicide but he didnt have any center fire guns. Sure do miss him.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:42 PM   #35
POKEYJOE04

I used to shoot into ant hills with a .410. Caused quite a stir.
Old April 13, 2010, 12:54 PM   #36
Bwana4

What Simonkenton said. We have a contest all summer between my dad, brother and me. Dad is still in Florida so I have a jump on the carpenter bees with a tennis racquet. Saturday got me on the board. We can usually knock off a hundred by mid- summer.
Old April 13, 2010, 01:12 PM   #37
ScottRiqui

A big, fat, wet, cow patty that my friend was standing next to. Juvenile, I know.
Old April 13, 2010, 11:54 PM   #38
dla888

As a kid (in PA) I'd put these Japanese beetles down the muzzle of my air pistol. They made great ammo. When I'd shoot them at the side of the barn they made a satisfying splat! Needless to say, My grandparents didn't have a Japanese Beetle problem that year!