The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 9, 2007, 05:13 PM   #1
mstrainpt

Wesson Rifle

I currently own a genuuine, not reproduction Wesson black powder, cap and ball rifle. It is in 45 cal. missing the side plate, hammer, forearm, and ramrod. It apprears to have a german silver butt plate and silver patch box on the stock. It has the double set triggers, in tact and appears that adding a hammer would be all that is needed. It's not in pristine conditon but is original. There has been some rust but it's still in salvageable shape. I need to find a value and buyer for this rifle. I understand they are quite rare. Can anyone out there help?
Old July 9, 2007, 07:14 PM   #2
BILLDAVE

Can't help, but I love to see a pic. Never heard of the gun.
Old July 9, 2007, 07:15 PM   #3
arcticap

It sounds like you have something there that would interest the more serious collectors.

The first place that I would to go for information about market value is:

http://americanlongrifles.com/americ...-BBS-frame.htm

There's a lot of custom BP gunmakers and restorers there who have a wealth of info. and interest in antique ML'ers. They also have for sale ads but you need to accumulate 25 posts first. Try posting about it under the "antique gun collecting' heading. Many folks there will be going to the Dixon's Gunmakers Fair in PA at the end of July so don't wait too long.

Here's my personal referral link to another BP website to ask & gather information. It's the largest traditional ML website in the world, and offers free classified ads too, just complete the free registration. Try posting under "percussion rifles" to ask about its value, or under the "gunbuilder's bench" for info. about who could possibly fix it. There's a wealth of info. on both sites.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu...referral/4225/

Last edited by arcticap; July 9, 2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old July 9, 2007, 09:33 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Here's what I wrote (for my book)

Quote:
...Edwin Wesson of Hartford, Connecticutt. Edwin was the older brother of Daniel Wesson who apprenticed under him and later entered a partnership with Horace Smith to form Smith & Wesson. Before taking his brother as an apprentice, Edwin operated a small gun factory in Northborough which he closed when he moved to Hartford in 1847. Edwin continued making guns until he passed away in 1849.
Edwin's rifles were of the period that they could have been used by some Civil War sharpshooters. I have a photo of one .45 cal. Wesson rifle that will appear in my book. Unfortunately, the rights granted to me by the owner does not include reproducing it on line. Post a pic if you can.
Old July 10, 2007, 09:09 PM   #5
mstrainpt

Wesson Rifle

Thanks to all those who replied on the Wesson rifle. I will take all and any advice and hopefully find I have something of value and a buyer. I'm a cowboy shooter who is always in need of another gun or two.
Old July 12, 2007, 08:35 PM   #6
mstrainpt

Wesson

Some have asked for a picture of the rifle in question, Wesson so have enclosed them. any help, values, places to sell this would be appreciated.
Old December 15, 2008, 01:22 AM   #7
joelaw99

wesson rifle

if you still have pictures could you send them to me...thanks......joe