The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2005, 01:29 PM   #1
chris downs

colt 45 case wrinkles during seating

I finished reloading some 45 colt using Hornady 255 gr FP (.454) #12458. They have no canelures and are covered with a powdery type lube and the sides of the bullet have a friction type surface. All loaded fine. I'm going to be testing them later today.

But I finished those 200 bullets and then started with some other more conventional bullets. These have two canelures with the bottom one lubed and the top empty. Seating these are causing large dents/wrinkles in the case about half way down the case. Seating depth looks OK as the crimp is right in the top canelure.

What am I doing wrong?
Old January 30, 2005, 04:13 PM   #2
tlm225

I can think of three possibilities:
- Make sure that the case mouth is flared enough to give the bullet base a clean start (not catching on the edge of the case mouth).
- Check the depth of the seating stem. If it's set too deep it may be trying to push the bullet deeper in the case while it's being crimped in place.
- Look closely at the crimp. If it looks a little flattened rather than a smooth curve into the crimp groove you may be over doing the crimp.
Old January 30, 2005, 04:33 PM   #3

I agree with what tlm225 said. The only other thing's I can think of, is the cartridge overall length the same and are the bullet tips the same shape and size?
Old January 30, 2005, 06:27 PM   #4
Rodger Peterson

I would agree that you are over doing the crimp. Try backing off some.
Old January 31, 2005, 12:36 AM   #5
Nnobby45

Hmm

If you check things over after the bullet is seated and they're ok up to that point, then check them after crimping. If they're "wrinkled", then I think you've isolated the problem to the crimp stage. If the problem occurs at the seating station, then you probably need to expand the case mouth more. Not an uncommon problem to see bullets with beveled bases seat ok, then have those flat based bullets ruin the case--usually at the mouth. The latter simply would require more expanding.

However, since your problem seems to occur at about where the bottom of the bullet would be, (middle of the case?), then that adds a bit of mystery. Unless the case is buckling--but when? A bulge could occur when the bullet is seated down to the thicker portion of the tapered case where the diameter of the case is smaller than that of the bullet. Make sure you check the COL from the Manual. Are you sure the top cannalure is the right one to crimp? Your bullet is seated deeper that way. Be careful. If the bullet is seated out more by using the other cannalure, will it still fit inside the cylinder ok?

Since we're curious now, be sure to let us know what you come up with.