The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 20, 2015, 08:37 PM   #1
amvet

Savage Scout 7.62x39 info needed

I have a chance to get a Savage scout in 7.62x39 at a very good price. I have a very large stock pile of steel case ammo and thought it would be nice to have a bolt action besides my semi auto guns to shoot it. Does anyone have any experience shooting steel case ammo in a Savage 7.62x39? I understand the difference in bore size of .308 and .311 and it's effect on accuracy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old August 21, 2015, 02:34 AM   #2
bamaranger

bolt gun

Sorry, I cannot help you regards shooting steel case from a Savage bolt. I will comment that an x39 bolt rifle is a fairly useful and practical item. My Ruger 77MKII so chambered is a delight to carry and shoot, usefully accurate within the cartridges practical range. Purchased originally as a youth rifle for bamaboy, I now hunt it frequently during our long whitetail season.

But, I do not shoot steel case from the Ruger bolt (nor its cousin the Mini30, anymore) based on the rather flimsy logic of...."steel on steel, ist nein gut." Yeah, I know cases are mild steel, and the steel jackets are mild as well, but, can the mild steel be AS mild as brass or copper? I'd suspect Savage has a manufacturer stance on the issue, have you checked with them?

Be prepared to get some grief over the x39 not being a "true scout" due to its milder chambering. But irregardless, an x39 bolt does much of what many of us do with rifles, at a fraction of the noise, fuss and expense. If you buy it, I believe you will not be disappointed.
Old August 21, 2015, 04:08 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

I had once inquired about steel-cased ammo through .308 bolt gun and whilst I share Bamaranger's reluctance to shoot such cartridges, the general consensus as I recall was that in a bolt gun, it really isn't that big of a deal. The case just sits in the chamber before and after firing until you choose to eject it with as much or as little authority as you please.

I would be more concerned if the ammo was steel-jacketed, but at x39 velocities, that too is less of a deal.

I second the motion to buy it. A good price is a good price. You can always find other ammo that suits it better or reload if the current stock doesn't suit!
Old August 21, 2015, 04:47 AM   #4
amvet

I'm wondering if the Savage extractor is up to the job of dealing with the steel cases. Have read about broken extractors in Zastava Mini Mausers M85.
Old August 21, 2015, 06:23 AM   #5
Pond, James Pond

Would putting a little lube on the outside of the cases help?

I have no idea if this is good practice or not, though.

I have read a number of threads over the last year or so singing the praises of bolt actions in the x39 calibre namely the CZ 527, I believe.

It seems a shame to miss out on a good deal on a similar rifle from what many claim is an excellent manufacturer because your current stock of expendable ammo might not be the best in that rifle. You clearly have a semi to shoot that steel ammo if needed.

Is it your only viable supply of x39?

I can empathize if that is the case as over here the only affordable x39 is Barnaul which is steel cased and steel jacketed!
Old August 21, 2015, 06:53 AM   #6
amvet

Pond, only real reason for me to get a bolt gun in 7.62x39 is that I have so much of it. I have just gotten interested in bolt actions. I don't hunt and really don't care about dime size groups at 300 yards. I just thought it would be fun to have a bolt gun to shoot. Hadn't thought about luring the case. I guess one of the problems with much of the steel case ammo is the finish used on it sticking to the chamber when fired.
Old August 21, 2015, 07:27 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Would smearing a little ballistol on each case as you load a mag be bad for the gun? I am sure it would aid any extraction issues...

I'd be interested to see what other members have to say when the North American side of the board wakes up. I am sure that shooting such ammo in bolt guns has happened a lot and they can advise more thoroughly...
Old August 21, 2015, 10:43 AM   #8
chris in va

The 527 is actually designed to shoot steel case x39 and .311 bullet sizes, but not sure about the Savage.
Old August 21, 2015, 11:39 AM   #9
smee78

I say go for it, if you can get it at a good price. If you try it out and don't like it then send it on down the road at a good price. I was looking for one before I built my x39 AR. Let us know how it shoots if you do get it.
Old August 21, 2015, 11:50 AM   #10
precision_shooter

From what I've read, these have a .308 bore, not .310-.311.
Not sure what the problems will be if shooting .311 diameter bullets (your steel cased ammo) through a .308 bore. Maybe someone with more knowledge on it can chime in?

For me, I would see that rifle as a "hand loaders" rifle. 7.62x39 brass cases using .308 bullets in appropriate weights. That may not be a bad thing considering the overwhelming number of bullet choices available in .308, and relatively few choices in .311. But it is a bad thing if wanting to shoot cheap surplus steel cased ammo since they are all .311 bullets.

I'm extremely happy with my CZ 527 in 7.62x39...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old August 21, 2015, 12:15 PM   #11
amvet

Sounds like the CZ 527 is something I should look into.
Old August 21, 2015, 12:25 PM   #12
Mosin-Marauder

With the money you save shooting steel case ammo, you could buy 13 extractors.

Exaggeration, of course.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 21, 2015, 03:38 PM   #13
Dr. A

A fellow by the name of ranch dog has one and used quite a bit of ammo types including steel cased ammo and even cast bullets. Most of his reports are on another forum easily googled. It does have the 308 bore, but has no problems I can recall. All that said, I love my CZ 527 as well. The cz was made for that type of ammo, unlike the Mini and Savage.
Old August 21, 2015, 06:55 PM   #14
ATCDoktor

I have both the Savage Scout Rifle in 7.62X39 and the CZ 527 in X39 as well.

The Savage Scout will shoot anything I feed it and not balk.

It will shoot Wolf Russian steel case Hollow Point/Soft Point/FMJ's into 1.5-2 inches at 100 yards no problem.

That said, my CZ 527 chokes on Wolf steel case ammo and shoots it poorly (which is disappointing as I have about 20,000 rounds on hand).
Old August 21, 2015, 10:58 PM   #15
TX Hunter

I didn't know Savage made a Bolt Action in 7.62x39. I am glad they do. I don't see how Steel cased ammo could hurt a Bolt Action. The Steel used in the case is much softer than the Chamber. I would not put Lube on the Case. That would interfere with the ability of the Case to expand and could actually cause stuck cases.
Old August 21, 2015, 11:17 PM   #16
celtgun

Don't lube ammo

Lube on cases will give you thrust against your bolt!!!
The CZs are designed to shoot steel ammo per inquiry I made to factory.

Celtgun
Old August 22, 2015, 01:38 AM   #17
chris in va

That is one drawback to the 527, it doesn't like Wolf primers. Despite everything CZ and myself have done it still gets light primer strikes.

I handload for mine so I have better success with my techniques.
Old August 22, 2015, 01:48 AM   #18
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Lube on cases will give you thrust against your bolt!!!
Good to know. Learn something every day on here!!
Old August 22, 2015, 02:48 PM   #19
Model12Win

I love the by three nine round, but the by five one round is even better in a boltie.
Old August 23, 2015, 06:40 PM   #20
bigdaddy123

amvet, I have a CZ 527 7.62x39 carbine,you would not be disappointed with it.It really lets that caliber shine.I just wish CZ included scope rings with the rifle,they are a little pricey.I can't speak for the Savage Scout 7.62x39,but I do have the Savage Scout in .308.It's a real shooter.
Old August 23, 2015, 08:01 PM   #21
precision_shooter

Bigd, get a DI Products rail for your 527. Then you can use any weaver style rings you want. That's what I did.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old August 23, 2015, 08:41 PM   #22
johnwilliamson062

Good point on bolt thrust. Obvious once pointed out, but easy to overlook and cause a dangerous situation.
Old August 23, 2015, 09:06 PM   #23
TX Hunter

That makes sense, the case trying to expand, causing Hydraulic Pressure with the trapped Oil. Serious Over Pressure.
Old August 24, 2015, 04:38 PM   #24
DPris
Member Emeritus

I do understand you were asking specifically about the Savage & I don't generally do a switcheroo in responding to such questions, but I'm making an exception here: the CZ is twice the gun, and in that caliber if you're looking for a compact & easy-to-carry boltgun, there's no contest in my mind.

Genuine walnut, STEEL mags, set-trigger, good sights, trim dimensions, controlled-round feed, and easy spare parts from CZ, all put the 527 way ahead.
And I'm not knocking the Savage, but they're really two different categories of gun.

The most recent 527 in 7.62x39 I had here last year had no problem with steel-cased Red Army brand imported stuff.
I almost kept it & would have had I not been already buying two other CZ loaners at the time.

CZ says shoot all the steel-cased ammo you want in them, and the bore size is set up for the caliber, not a .308.

Denis
Old August 24, 2015, 06:24 PM   #25
TX Hunter

Dpris

I did a quick search and the price for the CZ and the Savage were close. I would buy the CZ. In My Opinion, for the same Money Your getting a better buy with the CZ at the prices I found. In the $700 Range for both Brands.