The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 18, 2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Hunter_17

Want a new cc, which one?

What do you all carry and why?

I have the following.

9mm browning hi power- I like to carry this gun crazy of the 13 rd clip.

40 cal firestar star- like to carry cause of the size and more knock down, but only holds 7 in clip.

I have two .22 pistols and a .357 mag revolver. But don't carry these unless while hunting.

I am in the market for a new pistol I think I'll go with something like the .380 clip or body guard or like the kahr CW 45 or xds 45. And than you alway have revolvers too.

What do I need next?
Old February 18, 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Niantician

Take a look at the Walther PK380. It's not as small as the Ruger LCP or Taurus TCP, or any of the other micro 380s that have become popular. But it's still small enough for pocket carry. The added size will help with the recoil and follow up shots and it has better sights than the smaller guns too. They run about $350
Old February 18, 2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Indi

Glock 26. My daily carry. I put Pierce +3 grip extensions, now my mags can carry 13 rounds of 9mm.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:27 AM   #4
allaroundhunter

A Sig P238 or P938.... Or a commander size 1911 in .45 ACP is my suggestion...
Old February 19, 2013, 02:42 AM   #5
Mrgoosell

Re: Want a new cc, which one?

Ruger lcr. Like the fact that I can just slip it in my pocket and I like the reliability of a revolver. Plus 38 special is a fine self defense round.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 19, 2013, 03:32 AM   #6
Biner

I had a Bodyguard 380. Worst, roughest trigger I ever pulled. (No complaints about the six other S&W pistols I own.) Nearly impossible for me to shoot accurately, even at SD distances. Plus, the mag release was right where my thumb would hit it when shooting. I dropped the mag more than once. I replaced it with a Taurus TCP. Smooth, even trigger, easy for me to shoot accurately, and the mag stays put until I want it out. So far, not a single failure to feed, fire, or eject after 500+ rounds. I'm generally not a fan of Taurus pistols, but this one has earned a place inside my waistband on the days I'm not dressed to carry one of my larger pistols.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:32 PM   #7
chris in va

I've seen this question hundreds of times. Invariably it results in recommendations of personal carry guns.

Go to the gun store, rent a few and see what works.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I just added another auto to my carry list... my retired builder buddy put together a single stack 9 out of parts & home made pieces on an old Star 1911 looking frame... holds 8 rounds, nice tight lock up mine is very, very thin... it is pretty ugly right now ( could use some sort of finish... it has alot of metal in "the white" ) it was also really cheap...

I think the newer mid sized single stack nines are where it's at... the real thin guns seem to conceal well, even if they are of larger size
Old February 19, 2013, 04:18 PM   #9
TailGator

Quote:
I've seen this question hundreds of times. Invariably it results in recommendations of personal carry guns.

Go to the gun store, rent a few and see what works.
Hit that one of the park, ole Chris did.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:23 AM   #10
Chesster

It's all about what you feel comfortable with. For me, here are a few:

;
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 20, 2013, 10:29 AM   #11
seeker_4

I went with a Bersa BP9cc and really like it. That's why I went that way... cuz I really like it! Find the one's YOU like... handle em, shoot em if possible, and get what YOU like. That way you'll shoot it more, become proficient, and LIKE it.
Ever have a handgun you just like the looks of but don't enjoy shooting? There is a reason you don't have it anymore.....
Old February 22, 2013, 09:14 PM   #12
ClydeFrog

New CC pistol or carry gun....

If you want a simple well made robust CC firearm, I'd look into these models...

SIG Sauer P239 DAK with night sights, SIG P229R DAK, SIG P224 DAK, P290RS 9x19mm(9mm Luger).
The new Walther PPX in .40 or 9x19mm. The Beretta PX4 C format in .40S&W or 9x19mm. The HK P2000 or sub compact P2000sk in LEM(Law Enforcement Modification). The S&W SD40 or SD9(9mm).
Glocks & Kahrs are good but I prefer hammer fired DA only models.
Night sights(3 dot) & white-lights/lasers are good add-ons. New green lasers are coming down in price & could help in a lethal force event.

Only use factory made ammunition too. Even though quality, LE grade rounds are sky-rocketing($1.00-2.00/round, ) it's better to carry factory rounds.

For sales see: www.jgsales.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gilbertsguns.com .
Clyde
Old February 23, 2013, 02:02 AM   #13
Redhawk5.5+P+

Glock 19, and I'm not big Glock fan, as I only have one. A hell of a G20.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:38 AM   #14
Chesster

Quote:
Glock 19, and I'm not big Glock fan
I find objectivity very admirable. In the early 90's, I didn't care for "tupperware" for my personal defense. I was old school BHP. Then I shot a few of the G17/19/22/23 1st and 2nd gen guns. Couldn't find anything to complain about their functioning. All my complaints were cosmetic and I could not call it a "work of handcrafted art". But the second gen G19 became my go to for a step up from my pocket carry revolver to an IWB hi cap when I felt the need.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 23, 2013, 08:39 AM   #15
Mastery

Another +1 for the Glock platform. Easy to shoot, rugged, dependable. You may also want to look at the M&P Shield line, as they get really good reviews and are compact.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Hunter_17

Well I think it's down to the lc9 and shield
Old February 24, 2013, 04:51 PM   #17
buck460XVR

Quote:
ClydeFrog posted;
Only use factory made ammunition too. Even though quality, LE grade rounds are sky-rocketing($1.00-2.00/round, ) it's better to carry factory rounds.

Old February 24, 2013, 10:12 PM   #18
darwins

I've been considering the same thing. I have a Glock 19 but I also wanted a pocket pistol. I considered the following:
S&W M&P Shield
Ruger LC9
Kahr PM9
Beretta Nano

Given the current state of affairs, it's pretty difficult to lay hands on any one of the models. So, I researched a lot of written material and watched YouTube comparisons, which were quite helpful actually. I was leaning towards the Kahr until I watched a video that showed that the Kahr magazines don't drop out when ejected. In the end I chose the Nano, which I plan to pick up tomorrow. Three main reasons for the choice:
- size
- lack of external levers. Very smooth sides
- availability. I could actually find one in stock.
Make that four reasons. The magazines drop out when ejected.

Last edited by darwins; February 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old February 27, 2013, 11:25 AM   #19
Stevie-Ray

I carry 4, though only 2 at once. Primary is a Kimber UCDP .45 ACP for the Detroit area, along with a KT-P32 BUG. At my place in the Huron National Forest, primary becomes a Glock 29 with same BUG. For night biking, it is a Glock 26 and BUG. If I was looking now and didn't have my present choices, I'd probably look at a Ruger LC9. JMO.