The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 19, 2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Colt 70 Series...$600 out the door, yay or nay?

I am sorry I do not have a pic. It was at a gun shop in another county that I was just passing to stopped by to see. I WILL go back for it eventually, that's a bad area and I doubt the people there know the value of that stainless beauty.

It has plenty of character, which is what I like. The bore looks fine everything functions properly...

I was on the way to get a Glock 30 but I stopped with that layaway cause an incident happened and just got a Kahr CW9 which I shot today. Needless to say, I didn't like it. So I might sell that... I can't do anything small than a mid sized gun. Big mitts... Anyways, the dilemma..I have a Walther PPQ on layaway at a local gun shop over here and still owe $345 on that.

I reaaaaaally want the Colt, that won't come up again.

Should I just pay off the Walther first, then go get the Colt 70 later on?

WWYD?
Old August 19, 2012, 03:41 PM   #2
JWT

Price seems OK if it's in very good condition may no be there later. . I'd go for it, but only you know you cash condition. Can't have too many 1911's.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Auto426

Pristine Colt Series 70's usually sell in the $1000 range, usually a bit more if it comes with the original box and papers. For a gun that has seen some use, $600 sounds pretty good. If you really want it, you should jump on it pretty quick. There will be plenty of Walther PPQ's in the future, and I assume that you don't have an impending deadline to pay it off.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

It's not in good condition...looks like it's been in battle! lol that's why I love it. It's not horrible either though. Just looks tried and true. Love that character.

I already have a Colt 1911...the Gold Cup, but I baby that gun and the BHP so much. This one? If I get it..I don't need to! That's the beauty of it!

I'm itching..Visa card is calling me. I don't want to do anything stupid though. At least till I pay off the PPQ first.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
There will be plenty of Walther PPQ's in the future, and I assume that you don't have an impending deadline to pay it off.

True, but don't want to leave it there too long. I can't drop the $600 all at once either. I'd either have to sell one of my guns that I don't use much to get it. Or put it on layaway too, and have both on layaway.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Skadoosh

Quote:
It's not in good condition...looks like it's been in battle! lol that's why I love it. It's not horrible either though. Just looks tried and true. Love that character.
Just cosmetically beat up? Is it mechanically sound?
Old August 19, 2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Just cosmetically beat up? Is it mechanically sound?

Precisely I swear man I love it! I just hate owing money to two shops at a time -___-
Old August 19, 2012, 04:23 PM   #8
WVsig

I would not purchase a beat up Colt no matter what the price. The value of a 70 series would be greatly negated if it is in less than VG to G condition. A beat up 70 series is a $500 IMHO for my money.
Old August 19, 2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

^ Sweet, so should I tell the guy that? The sad part is..If I didn't care about wanting it I would, but I'd look like an ass in the end cause I'll get it anyways :x

It's priced for $595 he told me he can do $570 with tax and all that's approximately $600..Which I'm okay with, but wait.....you're right huh? $500 seems more reasonable.

I can haggle guys..trust me, but I really want this thing.. -.-
Old August 19, 2012, 04:35 PM   #10
DaleA

Constantine - you've been here a while, you know what somebody eventually is going to tell you...life is short.

and...yeah, it is.
Old August 19, 2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

I know.. -___-

Alright, I get paid next week...I'll shut up and post pics when I can. lol thanks..Hope it's there next week.
Old August 19, 2012, 05:05 PM   #12
WVsig

What bushing does the gun have? Collet? If it does inspect the prongs for damage or wear.

Old August 19, 2012, 05:10 PM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

The one on the left. And it has a weird beaver tail styled thing..It's black, and..how do I explain this? It's flat..sticks out about a little less than half an inch?

I don't know...But I fell in love with the darn thing.
Old August 20, 2012, 06:57 AM   #14
Skadoosh

Old August 21, 2012, 03:16 PM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

^^^ lmao

Well just sold my Beretta PX4 Storm..It needs a new non-neglecting loving owner. Plus, that's one polymer less..lol Sold it to my cousin with 2 holsters and some ammo for $400

That's going to my Colt! Can't wait to get it already. I'm itching...Itching so bad.

$200 more.

Hopefully I can talk him down a little more at least..Maybe high $500+ out the door? I know I won't get mid...But I'll try.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:38 PM   #16
Skans

Fair deal.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Agreed..I wish I took pics. Just picture this

I do not OWN that image ^^^^^^^

With give or take a few extra bells and whistles and not with that finish..It's the more, silver like one. A lot more beat up.

I forgot what hammer it had.

It did have the strangest looking grip safety I've ever seen though. I may or may not change that.
Old August 23, 2012, 05:36 PM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / Kahr CW9 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android
Old August 23, 2012, 08:51 PM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

Soooooo....anyone know what's up with the funky beavertail?
Old August 23, 2012, 08:57 PM   #20
Dashunde

Sure looks like a good candidate for a project gun with a fresh blasting job.
I'd also toss those grips in favor of something wood or G10, same for that beavertail.
Old August 23, 2012, 09:04 PM   #21
WVsig

Looks like a decent base gun for a custom build. Lots of after market parts already so I would look to replace them. New properly fit beavertail, thumb safety, slide release etc... refinish and you have yourself a nice custom 70 series.
Old August 23, 2012, 09:11 PM   #22
Auto426

That grip safety looks like an older drip in piece from before the modern upswept beavertail became popular. It might be a King's, but I'm not sure. The good news is that it looks like almost all of the modifications to the gun are simply drop in parts, so you can basically do whatever you want with it now.
Old August 23, 2012, 09:53 PM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

Can't wait

As for "drop in" parts...Nothing is really "drop in" is it? I'm going to have to buy a few things.

A beaver tail, flat mainspring housing, night sights, grips (10-8 performance, love them), bigger ambi safety, combat trigger, skeletonized hammer......then!

Finish......I'm thinking bluing? Guys? Help me out on the finish? Not stainless....the Gold Cup is stainless and thinking about carrying it pains me.
Old August 23, 2012, 10:30 PM   #24
Auto426

Quote:
As for "drop in" parts...Nothing is really "drop in" is it? I'm going to have to buy a few things.

A beaver tail, flat mainspring housing, night sights, grips (10-8 performance, love them), bigger ambi safety, combat trigger, skeletonized hammer......then!

Finish......I'm thinking bluing? Guys? Help me out on the finish? Not stainless....the Gold Cup is stainless and thinking about carrying it pains me.
Some parts my require minor fitting, but what I meant by "drop in" parts is that the gun itself wasn't irreversibly modified to work with the new parts that were added.

As far as finish goes, your gun is made from carbon steel and finished in satin nickle. It can't be re-finished in stainless, as stainless is actually a type of metal that is usually polished and then left without a finish, like your Gold Cup. Since it's carbon steel you have a lot of different finish options available, you just need to pick one that's appropriate for what you intend to use the gun for.
Old August 23, 2012, 10:42 PM   #25
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto426 View Post
Some parts my require minor fitting, but what I meant by "drop in" parts is that the gun itself wasn't irreversibly modified to work with the new parts that were added.

As far as finish goes, your gun is made from carbon steel and finished in satin nickle. It can't be re-finished in stainless, as stainless is actually a type of metal that is usually polished and then left without a finish, like your Gold Cup. Since it's carbon steel you have a lot of different finish options available, you just need to pick one that's appropriate for what you intend to use the gun for.
You rock. Thanks! So I intend to carry it. I even originally planned to leave it the way it is..finish wise. The only reason why I'd finish it is cause of the Technicolor when I swap out all the parts I mentioned.

Either I live with that, or why not..make it beautiful and carry it.

If that's the case, what finishes are good for carry on a 1911? My SIG I think is nitron? My SA is Cerakote. Which I don't like -.- I want a metal based finish. Not paint.

Any ideas?

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / Kahr CW9 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android