The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 18, 2011, 02:45 AM   #1
rmcelwee

Red dot scope - top knob (battery cover and brightness) loose

I have an old red dot scope and the top knob looks like it is about to fall off. It is so loose that you can spin it with your finger (no longer clicks/locks into place). I've searched for some parts diagrams but no luck. Anyone know how to disassemble/fix this?
Old September 18, 2011, 03:17 AM   #2
ogree

Have you considered sending it back to the manufacturer for repair ?
Old September 18, 2011, 06:41 AM   #3
rmcelwee

I bought it used (it was on a gun). If all I have to do is tighten a screw I don't see a need to pay shipping two ways and then pay someone $20 to tighten it 2 turns. I just can't figure out what is making it lose and I am worried about breaking something trying to figure out what to do (vs doing the actual work).

FWIW, it is some off brand called SightX. I cannot even find another one for sale or any info on it.
Old September 18, 2011, 08:26 AM   #4
ogree

I can't seen to find ANY exploded drawings on red dot sights on the web.
Someone with more knowledge about how they are assembled will probably show up and post some info.
If not, I would fiddle with it to try and get it apart and then hopefully get it to a point where it is usable again, otherwise...........it's time to go shopping.
If it is not usable the way it is and can't be sent back for repair then there is no harm in trying to work on it yourself.
Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.

I had been cured though of buying no name brand stuff years ago.
I had one of those types of sights given to me a couple years back and it sat new in the box till 3 days ago when I decided to try it on a rifle.
The dam elevation screw snapped off while I was adjusting the sight......It now resides in the garbage can.

Good luck to you, hope it works out.
Old September 23, 2011, 05:04 AM   #5
rmcelwee

OK, I broke the hell out of it trying to take it apart before I realized how to do it. If anyone else has this problem it is very easy to fix. In the top battery compartment there is a ring with threads on it. It is pretty hard to see but if you feel/look around the ID of the top knob you will find it. Simply unscrew that and an electronic board pops out. Under that board you will find 4 screws that hold the knob on. Tighten up the screws and you are done. I would bet my life that all red dot scopes (in this form) are the same.

Time to go shopping...