The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 25, 2006, 04:30 PM   #1
coolridelude

got a couple of questions

i have a couple of questions.

what would be better for a side arm a SA or a DA?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/70164

or gp100?

can they both hold hunting loads?

can they both shoot jhp?

or for the SA it can only take cowboy loads?

i have read and seen some of you guys is pics and from what i have seen most use the SA for hunting. is it better? can someone explain why you guys perfer the SA over the DA?

this is something that is new to me and i want to know about it. i have shot a SA but i need help to understand?

can the SA still shoot 38specials?
so i can try to take my mom shooting with it. she has shot the 9mm, but i want her to try others.

i wanted a sp101 but since i will not be carrying, I want a side arm for hunting? when i go dove hunting, hog and deer hunting.
Old June 25, 2006, 05:40 PM   #2
ugaarguy

The Rugers are all brute strong and will handle anything you feed them and any 357 Mag revolver will fire 38 Specials. DA or SA comes down to personal preference. If this will be your only revolver for a while a GP 100 with a 4" Bbl is a good idea. It will be a great hunting side arm and can be a nice carry gun should you decide to do that down the road. Then again there is just something classic about an old school SA wheel gun. I'd go to a gun store and handle them all and see which one feels best in your hand.
Old June 26, 2006, 06:53 AM   #3
TexasCop

IMHO most hunters prefer the SA because it allows for a much crisper trigger pull when accuracy is essential. The DA is better for all around use and safety if you plan on carrying it for any other reason, but just for hunting only I'd go with a SA as well.
Old June 27, 2006, 12:09 AM   #4
coolridelude

thanks, that has cleared things up more me.
Old June 27, 2006, 09:00 AM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Both guns, GP and Blackhawk, are about equally strong, and about equally accurate in general. They can both shoot any .38 Special load I'm aware of, they can both shoot either lead or jacketed bullets.
The Blackhawk is much stronger than a Colt style single-action Peacemaker or clone, and is not restricted to "cowboy" loads.
The .357 is not a dove gun, and it's questionable on hogs, depending on their size and the bullet used.
The DA vs SA thing is entirely personal preference. Some prefer the simplicity of the SA, some like the quicker followup shots and reloading of the DA.
Denis
Old June 28, 2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Pezo

Go with the 3" gp100. YOu may have to order it sight unseen. Bought mine that way and love it. The trigger pull on this thing is very crisp. Unlike my 6" example. (which I'm going to one day work on because my 3" is spoiling me with its noticeably better trigger pull.) The stock grips are the best out there in the 3" example as far as size goes. IMO