The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 28, 2004, 04:17 AM   #1
DevLcL

20 gauge stupidity

Why would anyone buy something like a 20 or 28 ga shotgun?... If you're gonna buy a shotgun then buy a shotgun. Don't mess around with small stupid shells. If you cant handle the kick of a 12 ga then you shouldnt be shooting it. Also, chances are, if your the type of person that cant handle a 12ga kick you're not gonna be the type of person that would need the protection of a shotgun. Im sure alot of the old guys that frequent this forum will argue with my opinion (even if only to themselves). I just feel like 20ga is one of those things where someone tried to reform an old invention just for the purpose of comfort or to make it easier to use. I think this idea is a VERY bad one. I think the fact that shooting a gun is not the easiest thing in the world probably deters many people from actually using them for the wrong reasons. Furthermore, when using a firearm you must first (before you even buy the weapon) realise and understand that this is something that people have been doing for hundreds of years.

Try to picture this. A few guys are huddled together at a campfire talking about the day over a bottle of wiskey. The year is somewhere in the mid-1800's. Noticing a noise in the bushes they all get a little nervous. One of them grabs a 20GA!!! to investigate??????..... I THINK NOT.
Old December 28, 2004, 06:13 AM   #2
steveno

I will grab the closest shotgun regardless of whether it is a 12 gauge or the 28 gauge. the 28 gauge is a really nice for hunting. I'm surprised I wrote this much in regards to your comments
Old December 28, 2004, 06:30 AM   #3
dr.magnum

What was it Freud said about people needing the biggest things, they were compensating for something---?
Old December 28, 2004, 06:48 AM   #4
dfaugh

When I used to hunt

I always used a 20 gauge...killed everything I shot just as dead ...Main reason I liked it was not because of reduced recoil, but because it was significantly lighter than a 12, and at the end of a day tramping thought the fields that made a big difference. Recoil was only a factor when I used to bust clays with it for practice, usually 100 in one session, but I did that with a 12 once, and was only slightly the worse for wear. Were I to buy a new shotgun today, specifically for hunting, it would be a 20.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old December 28, 2004, 07:35 AM   #5
Doerdie

I guess my 10 year old son shouldn't be shooting since he cannot handle a 12 gauge. I suoose small framed women and even older children, when threatend with a home invasion should just give up to a BG since all they have is a 20 gauge. We should all sell our .22 pistols and rifles since they don't kick hard enough. And all you mousy men out there with muzzle brakes should be ashamed of yourselves! As for you shotgunners...don't you dare put a recoil pad on. While were add it, lets get the military to switch from .223 to .50cal in the M-16, then we will have a military force of REAL MEN!
Every gun has its place, same with lighter load shotguns
Old December 28, 2004, 08:21 AM   #6
GUNSMOKE45441

Dang! I apoligize to all the pheasants I have killed with a .410.
Old December 28, 2004, 09:27 AM   #7
wudjalike2no

dev, stop being such a dumbass
Old December 28, 2004, 09:48 AM   #8
9mmMike

Yeah! And why are there .22's or .228 or 30-30's? All rifles should be chambered in .308! And don't get me started on pistols, I mean .357 Sig, 10mm, .38, 9mm? What's up with that? All pistols should be in a manly 45 ACP!
While we're at it, why aren't we all driving V8's?
We should also only allow dogs over 90 pounds. Schnauzers, Dauschunds? Blah! Everyone gets a Rotty or Shepard!

Or as wudjalike2no put it, "dev, stop being such a dumbass"

Kind regards,

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 28, 2004, 09:57 AM   #9
cookhj

well, some people consider it more of a challenge to hunt with a smaller gauge because you have to be more accurate with your shots and you have to take those shots at a closer range than with larger gauges. hope that clears some things up for you.
Old December 28, 2004, 10:20 AM   #10
Striker

Hmmmm...

Last time I tried to compete in the 20 and 28 guage categories with a 12 guage on the skeet field, I couldn't understand why they wouldn't let me.

Go figure!!

RLTW
"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."
Old December 28, 2004, 10:29 AM   #11
johnbt

I think the smaller framed 20s kick more than the typical 12. They work just as well for most uses though.

Imagine a bunch of guys drinking around the campfire. Then they get out the hitech laptop and start posting on the web.

John
Old December 28, 2004, 10:32 AM   #12
CJNies

I smell a Troll :barf:

What is a troll?
A new member with only 15 posts, who isn't asking a question or contributing to this forum in any way is only attempting to stir things up with a ludicrous and self serving statement. I’ve seen many trolls on many forums and if ignored most go away, but in more severe cases they end up reforming or getting banned.
Old December 28, 2004, 11:45 AM   #13
Edward429451

Some guys are huddled around the campfire. One of them wants a SG but isn't totally comfortable or experianced with a 12 and the other guys say why not get a 20 instead? The guy takes it as an insult, thinking they're slamming his manhood. They're really not, just giving him a viable option, but he has a small ego and loses sleep over it. He winds up staying up late pining over the supposed insult posting inane things on the net out of loss of sleep & frustration. ?

< you have to be more accurate with your shots and you have to take those shots at a closer range than with larger gauges.>

Thats just what I told my kids when we went skeet shooting with their 20. Don'tcha know they proved me wrong? They was hitting those pigeons waayyy out there with some regularity. They did it enough times that it at least proved that they were not a fluke. We hadn't patterned it but think we may have just got lucky with the loads and the choke combination. This they were doing with the 870EY and didn't accomplish the same feat with the SS. Never say never!
Old December 28, 2004, 12:40 PM   #14
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Why are you messing around with that wimpy 12ga---be a real man and get a 10ga.

Ya buy em books---and all they do is look at the pictures.

And if the 20 is so bad---are you willing to volunteer to be shot with one------I didn't think so.

Numbskull is too nice of a word for you.
-------Metallica
Old December 28, 2004, 12:59 PM   #15
chris in va

CJnies has it. Troll.

New to this forum, but I can still sniff one a mile off.
Old December 28, 2004, 01:04 PM   #16
wudjalike2no

you are all girly men, use the 4 gauge, and if you dont, you are stupid, why use something tiny like an 8 or 10ga?
Old December 28, 2004, 03:10 PM   #17
DevLcL

.22's are ok
Old December 28, 2004, 03:19 PM   #18
DevLcL

Honestly I wanted to know what people think. Just wanted to ruffle a few feathers, not looking for insults haha

also 9mmMike, my .45 ACP is hiding quite well in my room, and my german shepard is pretty big altho in her old age she couldnt catch more then a few hours of sleep
Old December 28, 2004, 04:02 PM   #19
RevolverLover

DevLcL, I say sell your wimpy 12ga for a 10ga.
Old December 28, 2004, 04:10 PM   #20
DevLcL

Arn't them shells hard to find though?
Old December 28, 2004, 04:44 PM   #21
jerryd

10 ga. reloader,it will solve all yoir problems! Also if you do some reading on shotgun patterning you will see the 28 ga delivers its shot string in a tigher pattern then the 12ga.
Old December 28, 2004, 04:52 PM   #22
sm

12 ga is the most popular, has the most versatile loadings. Loads can be found on the side of the road and in gas stations here in the South..

As stated above , for some reason they won't let a fella use a 12 bore in the 20ga, 28ga, and .410 events tho'.

Thats okay, 'cause I used the 28 ga in the 12, 20 and 28 ga events, then broke out the little critter - for the little critter event. Many a time

My best scores were ALWAYS in the 28 ga events, or when I used a 28 ga.

he, he, he...should I mention the 32 ga -or would that really screw the pooch?
Old December 28, 2004, 05:58 PM   #23
CB3

Colin is new here and doesn't really even know what to ask other than everything that comes to his mind. See his numerous other beginning posts/questions. They are somewhat troll-like, but probably he is just a person excited to have found a forum where he can seek answers to basic questions, poorly expressed, the answers to which he has no clue.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157772

CB3
Old December 28, 2004, 06:29 PM   #24
Invicta

So the gun companies should only make 3 different types of ammo. 12 gauge shotgun shells, 50bmg rifle ammo, and 500 S&W handgun ammo. Everything else is just too weak. Why make so many redundant calibers.
Old December 28, 2004, 06:48 PM   #25
Ozzieman

Yes and the only hand gun I will carry

Is a 12 inch smith 44 mag
The only rifle I will own is a bolt action 50 BMG.
What I just wrote makes as much sence as saying there is no place for a 20 gage.
Closed Thread