The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 18, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
gilfo

Floida Sen. Bill Nelson's reply to my e-mail

Here is Nelsons reply to my e-mail to him

Thank you for contacting me about policy proposals that seek to reduce gun violence in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown.

I am a hunter and have always owned guns. I support the Second Amendment. But when assault rifles are used to kill children, it's time for America to act.

Solutions for reducing gun violence must address many areas, from protecting law enforcement and keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals, to school safety, access to mental health services, and confronting a culture that sometimes glorifies violence.

I support reinstating the assault weapons ban and restoring the 10-round limit for ammunition magazines. And, I support universal background checks so that we can know if person buying a weapon has a criminal record.

I appreciate hearing your views on this very important issue, and I will keep them in mind in the days ahead as the Senate debates gun control issues. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,
Bill Nelson

And my reply back to him after receiving it

Dear Mr. Nelson,

Thank you for response. While I agree that the tragedy in Newtown was horrendous I do not think a ban would resolve the issues leading up to and including this tragedy. Therefore I regret to inform you that I will NOT be voting for you in your next re-election bid as I have done in the past. It is clear to me that you are not in step with what the Second Amendment was intended to be. I will work tirelessly to do whatever I can to make sure you are not re-elected for another term when the time comes. You are not a friend of the Constitution therefore not a friend to me.

Sincerely

I suggest we all in Florida to the same now that we know his position.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Punisher_1

At least you received a response and he had an opinion, not that I agree with but at least he told you his stance. I won't be checking his box either. I'm still waiting for a reply from my representative, Nugent, from an email I sent him over a month ago.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:16 PM   #3
tynman

Good reply to his letter.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Sodbuster

Just another politician-hunter. A couple notches below hunter-gatherer, as they could hunt without benefit of a Beretta shotgun.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old January 18, 2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Punisher_1

I wonder if we do universal background checks on individuals in other countries when we deliver pallets of M16s to them.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:02 PM   #6
tmorone

I wrote him too.

My letter was more of a, "I noticed the poll on your senate page shows that 96+% of people do not support an assault weapons ban. Do you plan to listen to the people who elect you or leave us out to dry? Blah blah blah, you've been anti-gun in the past but I hope not this time... blah blah... remember what happened in '94...blah blah"

No response yet, but my letter was clearly pro-gun, and a firm reminder that voting to ban a specific set of firearms would cost him his job (hopefully).

Looking forward to the response, probably will be word for word what you received.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:26 PM   #7
spacecoast

I understand he's going python hunting, let's root for the snakes... Errrr... Pythons
Old January 18, 2013, 10:47 PM   #8
surveyor

thanks for posting this..
I have sent him a "remember the election results after 1994" reminder..

I can't see how someone that says "I support the 2nd amendment" thinks this way..

Best response was Congressman Jeff Miller..
Old January 19, 2013, 08:35 AM   #9
jason_iowa

Gah there is no such thing as gun violence. Its just violence!! Anyone who uses the phrase gun violence has signaled they have no interest in real solutions
Old January 19, 2013, 04:54 PM   #10
5.56RifleGuy

I got the same BS reply. I dont think they even read the emails before they reply.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:07 PM   #11
CUBAN REDNECK

NO REPLY

I wrote to him, but received NO reply. I probably put him in a quandary by stating that I'm a minority gun owner...
Old January 20, 2013, 10:55 AM   #12
Carry_24/7

I have had this conversation with many, and most appear not to understand that this is truly a constitutional issue, "shall not be infringed." I continue to hear "change the law" but not the constitution; it is ignored.

I truely believe that in the public, the average Joe does not see the value on 2A, not at all. This battle has to be won at the political level. Even then, as referenced above, many politicians still attach hunting and sport to 2A.

We gotta vote those guys out as previously said. While we may be outnumbered, our numbers may be enough to tip the scale....that's if a better candidate is available....and that's a big if in states other than the likes of TX, FL, etc...
Old January 21, 2013, 02:04 PM   #13
RamItOne

Yeah they've got that reply on a boiler plate

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0