The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2009, 05:44 PM   #26
Wildalaska

Quote:
It is just amazing people post and have NO clue what they are talking about.
yeah, I guess I'm just imagining the 35 some odd tossed out broken ones I have seen over the past few years. Hey, I've been using an RCBS primer tool for like 15 years or so and NEVER BROKE ANYTHING, unlike:

Quote:
I wasted my money on a Lee the on the first 50 rounds it broke in half.
Quote:
I have replaced parts on them (cheap)
Quote:
I broke one and now have 2.
Quote:
Broken two small parts in that time that were quickly and inexpensively replaced.
Quote:
Broke the handle and they sent a new one no charge.

Sorry to dis the primingtoolwoobie, I'm just an ignorant, priming tool snob. How many folks ever broke and RCBS tool by the way.

WildbacktoauditingAlaska ™
Old January 5, 2009, 06:28 PM   #27
floydster

Wildalaska, What is the world like you are living in ???
How many hours of the day do they let you out?

Last edited by floydster; January 5, 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:22 PM   #28
lev83

I have always used the RCBS hand primer. Tried a Lee that a friend owns and did not like it at all. Poorly constructed in my opinion and kinda small for my hand + the shell holder issue. Never seen or tried Hornadys version but will researchit given the number of positive reviews.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:40 PM   #29
Inspector3711

I've got two broken RCBS tools... One came apart on my dad after 1500 rounds. He bought another and I ended up with both after he bought his Lee which has been trouble free for a long time now. Anyway, I was running 500 rounds of .223 not long after he gave them to me (broken one for spare parts) and the other one broke too. Turns out they are different models.

I went a year ago and bought a Hornady.. More comfortable to use than Lee or RCBS and it's built like a tank. No problems to date plus it came with a RCBS shellholder attachment so I didn't have to buy more shell holders..

I found that the Hornady has a great feel to it as well.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:42 PM   #30
oldscot3

I used a Lee for many years, when it broke I switched to the RCBS so I could use the regular shellholders. I will say this though, it's more difficult to switch shellholders with the RCBS tool. The Lee holders just slide in, while the RCBS has to be disassembled.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:58 PM   #31
Sevens

This thread, like so many here and everywhere in the wonderful world of the 'net is a fine example of folks using what works for them. If it works for you, it shouldn't matter if someone else doesn't like it, or if they think it's crap. You like it, there you go.

Which is where my opinion comes in. Of the all different, individual and specialized operations at the bench, of all that is involved with building these loaded rounds, none of them forcibly takes an explosive metal disc and uses strength and leverage to squish it in to a little metal crevice on a piece of brass OTHER than priming cases.

Why anyone would choose to do THAT operation away from the bench and the full attention that it requires is beyond me.

So some of you like the Lee tool, and some of you hate the Lee tool and some of you seem to hate the guy that hates your tool, and that's all good by me.

For me, I don't want to be handling primers in the same place we eat the potato chips. I don't want a box of primers on the coffee table next to the 9-year old's WII remote. I don't want the possibility of running over a live primer sucked from the carpet by the vacuum.

I love the man cave. All the primers are there, powder too, and all the equipment that makes it work. The safety glasses are there, also. The load bench is where the magic happens.

The couch is for watching some bad TV, taking a cat nap or playing with the kids.
Old January 5, 2009, 10:44 PM   #32
ir3e971

I used a Lee hand priming tool for several years, then the actuating handle snapped. I chose to replace it with the RCBS Universal and like it much better.

This is not to say that the Lee tool did not work fine, but it was harder on my thumb and certainly less stout.

I would recommend the RCBS universal tool over the Lee. One nice thing about the RCBS universal is that it does not require individual shell-holders.

YMMV
Old January 6, 2009, 03:18 AM   #33
FrankenMauser

Quote:

Why anyone would choose to do THAT operation away from the bench and the full attention that it requires is beyond me.

So some of you like the Lee tool, and some of you hate the Lee tool and some of you seem to hate the guy that hates your tool, and that's all good by me.

For me, I don't want to be handling primers in the same place we eat the potato chips. I don't want a box of primers on the coffee table next to the 9-year old's WII remote. I don't want the possibility of running over a live primer sucked from the carpet by the vacuum.

I love the man cave. All the primers are there, powder too, and all the equipment that makes it work. The safety glasses are there, also. The load bench is where the magic happens.

The couch is for watching some bad TV, taking a cat nap or playing with the kids.
Understandable, and I completely agree with not knocking your opinion. I prefer priming at the bench, as well.
However, if the man understands the safety risks... I fully believe it is his choice.

I also avoid having reloading components in areas children or pets may be, and always wash my hands (or even change cloths, depending on what I was doing) before contacting things that would possibly transfer contaminents.

Live primers in a vaccuum, though.... I believe that some people may have possibly had one go off, but I have never personally seen it. There have probably been 200+ live primers vaccuumed up in my family. To date, not one of us has had a detonation. Even if one did go off... I don't see any kind of catastrophic damage occuring. I am more concerned about dropping a case of 500 bullets on my foot while reloading, than I am about live primers in a vaccuum.
Old January 6, 2009, 03:57 AM   #34
HiBC

In my experience:The olderRCBS I had worked quite well.Good feel,good duability,etc.But the setup drill is annoying.I also tend to set up two single stage presses at the same time,so now we are talking 3 each shellholders.The universal might be great.
I have used the Lee but never enjoyed it.Rather springy.I must admitif it is not broke,it will seat primers
Then I bought a Hornady.Now,I must say that since I bought that Hornady some years back,a "New and Improved" Hornady came out.Could be the new ones are good.The one I had I tossed.POS! The tray was too big and not flat enough.Primers would flip in the tray,I don't even remember all the problems it had,but my brother was priming away with his Lee,laughing at me.
I have gone back to the Rold ockchucker type primer feed on the bench.

However,maybe I will take a look-see at the Sinclair.

IMO,to load 50 or 100 rds is one thing,but if you I am loading 1000 via single stage press,sitting in a comfortable chair is not bad.Figure they are clean of lube,sized deprimed prepped brassI can look at them,and the feel/seat of a hand tool is good.Then 50 rd blocks of primed brass can be charged,inspected,and corked!!
Old January 6, 2009, 05:19 PM   #35
Wildalaska

Quote:
Wildalaska, What is the world like you are living in ???
How many hours of the day do they let you out?
Gee I must have really offended the primingtoolwoobie

WildtheyonlyletmeouttodisleebersaandwolfAlaska ™
Old January 6, 2009, 05:48 PM   #36
TATER

Double post
Old January 6, 2009, 05:49 PM   #37
TATER

Hey! Wild, What up? my friend,
They let him out about four hours a day this time’o year.
For the remaining 20 it’s dark.........
Old January 6, 2009, 06:10 PM   #38
Sam06

Hey Wild, The sun must have broke and you got out of your cave up there

Quote:
Sorry to dis the primingtoolwoobie, I'm just an ignorant, priming tool snob. How many folks ever broke and RCBS tool by the way.
Now I can understand the snob part coming from a Blaser man but the broke part I never broke my shovel either but I would not want you to have to use it

ihateleestuff2butihavetolivewiththeloadallcasueihaveallthestupiddohickiesthatgowithit

That was in Alaskanese for you...........Have a good one wildandfrozeninalaska Its nice and warm here in NC right next to the Home of the Airborne.
Old January 6, 2009, 08:14 PM   #39
Peter M. Eick

I finally broke down and bought an RCBS after my lee's died again.

Lets face it, Lee's break. They are good for around 10,000 rnds give or take 5,000 and then they break. I got to the point I kept 2 around just so I could rotate them. Finally I retired them and went for and RCBS. It seems to hold up but times will tell.

This is my last two that I have since had rebuilt. They are not expensive but the quality of them has sure changed over the last 25 years.
Old January 6, 2009, 10:00 PM   #40
Chuck Graber

I have a Lee Auto prime that I have used for more than a decade but when I replace it I will go with another brand. Lee specifies that you should only use CCI and Winchester primers as other primers may denonate en masse.

This from the Lee website.
Quote:
Users have reported that the primers in the tray of an Auto Prime can explode for various reasons, some of which include: a cocked primer, or an attempt to prime a case which has a primer already in place, or more than one primer on the punch, or priming a military case with the crimp not completely removed. Should an explosion occur, our tests have demonstrated that safety glasses will normally prevent serious injury to the user if CCI or Winchester primers are used, because the explosion is minimal. Other primers, however, can explode with sufficient force to seriously injure the user, or persons nearby. We do not take any position with respect to the quality or performance of primers available on the market. However, only those primers manufactured by CCI or Winchester are recommended for use in the Lee Auto Prime, and when loading those primers, safety glasses should always be used. No other primers should be used with the Lee Auto Prime.
The manager of my local reloading store told me he reloads Rem and Federal primers in a Lee and he has had about 10 primers go off in his hand with the auto-prime but wasn't enough to cause him any serious injury. He says he never puts more than about 10 primers into the tool.

I have 2k of Federal primers I got from a friend and I am going to buy a new tool for one of these days.
Old January 6, 2009, 10:20 PM   #41
Sam06

I never heard of that. 100 primers going off in your hand sounds kind of fun though Kind of like that 1st shot from a 475 LB. I have loaded all kinds of primers but I stick with CCI, Rem and Win most of the time.

If I was not married to the lee(Due to all the shell holder do-hickies I have) I would think about a RCBS. I have a sinclar but it is slow and a pain to set up(It takes the Lee shell holders also) But the sinclar is a good tool also. I was looking into the RCBS prime strips but I shied away from them.

Mine has looked like Pete's a few times but I can get parts and its fixed quick. Like Wild said its my Primingtoolwoobie
Old January 6, 2009, 11:04 PM   #42
Wildalaska

Quote:
Lets face it, Lee's break.
Alot

WilddoasearchAlaska TM
Old January 6, 2009, 11:26 PM   #43
ronl

RCBS. Never had any problems at all and the thing is old. Still works great.
Old January 6, 2009, 11:42 PM   #44
Crankylove

My father has the Lee, been using it for 8-10yrs? with never a problem. I have one as well, cause it was the only one in stock, and although it feels kinda cheap and ready to fall apart at anytime, it has given me no issues yet. My brother has the RCBS and I haven't really heard any complaints from him about it, but I have never used it so I can't really comment on it too much.
Old January 7, 2009, 01:48 PM   #45
Jkwas

It's ironic for me that this thread should come up. I'm just now decided to try reloading to see if it's for me. I've looked at the Lee hand press kit, that comes with a ram prime, but I saw the lee hand primer (and others) and thought it might be a goof proof way for me to get started. So that I understand, the hand primer tools work independantly of the press, is that correct? Is it worth it to skip the ram prime and go right to the hand primer tool, or is it a good idea to have both? Like I said, I'm a neophite, so be easy on me. Thanks!
Old January 7, 2009, 03:49 PM   #46
floydster

jkwas, wildalaska will tell you what to do.
Old January 7, 2009, 04:03 PM   #47
abber

I have the RCBS hand priming tool. It's the basic one you need to install a shell holder onto. It took a little getting used to, but I really like it. I can't compare it to any other hand primers, but I like it better than priming on a single stage press. A LOT better. I eyeball each primer coming up on the ram to make sure it is right side up before sliding in the case and seating the primer. I learned this the hard way, after getting a few primers stuck sideways in the bottom of a case. This requires disassembly of the tool to rectify. After a few times, you just learn to check. I can sit in front of the TV and do a few hundred pieces, then adjourn to the bench to continue. Easy and relaxing.
Old January 7, 2009, 04:30 PM   #48
hardhit

I had been thinking about one of these three especially the bench mounted jobys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benchprim.jpg (22.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg rcbsaps.jpg (26.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg autoprim.jpg (29.3 KB, 26 views)
Old January 7, 2009, 04:36 PM   #49
grymster2007

Quote:
is it worth it to skip the ram prime and go right to the hand primer tool, or is it a good idea to have both?
I started with the Lee hand press also and never bothered with the Ram Prime. Went straight to the RCBS unit. Works great.

At the risk of incurring a WA dissing (when they next let him out), I now use a Lee turret and usually prime from there, but it don't feel so good as the hand primer.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:21 PM   #50
PCJim

When I am not loading on the 550b, I will prime the cases with either an RCBS hand priming tool or this RCBS single stage ram priming unit which was my first priming tool when I obtained my Special 2 press. This ram unit works extremely well, and provides excellent feel of seating the primer.