The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 1, 2008, 11:42 PM   #26
King Ghidora

123kiwi wrote:
Quote:
Great looking rifle! Dont forget to bin the 2x30rd mags too, youll only ever need the factory one.
I don't get this. Why not use the high capacity mags? If his SKS is a Norinco the high capacity mags will work great. I've never had a FTF or FTE with my Norinco in 15 years of shooting it. I took the factory mag out the first day and it's never been back in. The high capacity mags are great IMO. Not all SKS's work well with them though. But it's worth a shot to see if his does. My Norinco is clearly labelled a Norinco FWIW. I've never seen a Chicom SKS that didn't say Norinco but that doesn't mean there aren't any. They could still have been made by Norinco and maybe by someone else.

BTW an SKS was never built to be a fully auto rifle. Converting one over would involve almost totally rebuilding everything in it. If you want to be dumb enough to do your own conversion get an AK47. They convert to full auto but it really isn't that easy either from what I hear. I've seen them converted but not often. I certainly wouldn't own one or suggest anyone else convert one. It's a super bad idea to go to jail for 10 years just because you wanted full auto. Most of the conversions of AK's are hold the trigger and empty the clip anyway. Very rarely someone figures out how to make them selective fire. But it certainly isn't worth the risk. And for pity's sake don't mention it on the net if you do want to make that mistake.
Old August 2, 2008, 12:07 AM   #27
dssigma

HI Cap Mag

King Gihdora

yes i will put 30 rnd mag & try it out at range, i just dont like that with 30 rnd mag you have to hold the bolt Open (manually) & load the Mag, same with removing the Mag

is there any way to get around this, i mean with 30 rnd mag is there a way to keep bolt open like Fixed Mag.

On the AUTO conversion, i am just going to buy some nice AK But will not convert it to auto just use it like that. that will be more fun

also i want to ask all of you, i came across some AK PART KIT, can i built the AK from Part Kit ?
How Difficult is it ?
Do all the needed part comes in kit to built functional AK ?
Is it legal for me to buy parts & make Gun out of it ?
is it common for people to buy parts kit & Built Rifle out of it ?

i am lil bit on budget & trying to save some bucks hear & there

thanks

Dssigma
Old August 2, 2008, 12:23 AM   #28
FireMax

I was talking to a guy who recently returned from Iraq. We were talking about SKS rifles. He said of the Iraqis he saw killed, the majority of them were carrying SKS rifles with the original 10 round mags. He said he wasn't knocking the SKS, except that he thinks a battle rifle with only a 10 round capacity is at a huge disadvantage against an opponent with a 20-30 round capacity rifle.

Get the Tapco 20 round mags for your SKS. They work fine if you are comfortable doing minor filing adjustments to the magazine.
Old August 2, 2008, 12:32 AM   #29
CGSteve8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssigma
King Gihdora

yes i will put 30 rnd mag & try it out at range, i just dont like that with 30 rnd mag you have to hold the bolt Open (manually) & load the Mag, same with removing the Mag

is there any way to get around this, i mean with 30 rnd mag is there a way to keep bolt open like Fixed Mag.

On the AUTO conversion, i am just going to buy some nice AK But will not convert it to auto just use it like that. that will be more fun

also i want to ask all of you, i came across some AK PART KIT, can i built the AK from Part Kit ?
How Difficult is it ?
Do all the needed part comes in kit to built functional AK ?
Is it legal for me to buy parts & make Gun out of it ?
is it common for people to buy parts kit & Built Rifle out of it ?

i am lil bit on budget & trying to save some bucks hear & there

thanks

Dssigma
First things first, you cannot convert a semi auto AK/AKM into a select fire rifle. Doing so will land you in federal prison. No "machine guns" can be manufactured or registered post 1986. I put machine gun in quote because technically, an AK/AKM is not a machine gun, but anything select fire is defined as such by the BATFE.

To answer your question about AK parts kits. Yes, you can build a rifle from a parts kit. You will need to purchase a US made receiver, and have a to have a certain number of US made parts in it to comply with section 922(r).

The difficulty level is pretty high, it is not rocket science, but it is definitely not putting together an AR 15 rifle, which is like a Lego kit. You will need a good degree of skill working with your hands, and with machinery. Tools other than hand tools are also needed to press in the rivets, barrel pins, barrels, etc. Special clamps are also needed if you are going to bend receiver flats yourself.

Please do a search on Google for 922(r) and on AK building.
Old August 14, 2008, 08:15 PM   #30
dcoffman222

My SKS

My sks has a triangle w/26 in it, and also has chinese letters. The stock has a triangle w/2 in it. It was made in china by norinco. I'm wondering if this was used in a war. It was passed down to me in working condition has age but fires excellent and on target.
Old August 16, 2008, 12:20 AM   #31
Ignition Override

An Army veteran is spending over two years in a Minnesota prison after his AR-15 accidentally went full auto at a range.

The problem is that people can hear such a burst and they will talk-some people always assume the worst.

One can imagine just one stranger hearing a disturbing sound down an old road (an "insurgent cell" or "meth lab") and then seeing a guy quickly get into a car with an AK etc.: "Officer, his license plate number is *******".
Old August 16, 2008, 07:03 AM   #32
King Ghidora

Yes there is a method to hold open the bolt while you load a mag. Inside the chamber where the original mag fits against the back wall toward the butt stock there is a piece that will slide up and hold your bolt open. It automatically gets raised and holds open the bolt if you empty the mag you're using. It's really simple to reach in and push it with the bolt open and then just let the bolt come forward against it. Once that's done you can easily load a detachable mag on a Chinese SKS.

The Chicoms made about 8 million SKS's from the 60's right on up through the present time. They still use some SKS's for ceremonial drills. They were used heavily in the Korean and even in the Vietnam wars. The Chinese experimented with making the SKS better even going as far as making some fully automatic. But there were other mods like the famous D model which was made to accept AK47 mags.

Many Chinese SKS models have a triangle shaped marking that tells a lot about the gun. There will be different symbols inside the triangle that tells exactly what model SKS it is and where it was made sometimes. The most common triangles indicate the common model 56 but there are many, many others. The Chinese tried very hard to make the SKS into an improved weapon. That's why you see the different types of bayonet lugs also. Plus the sights are different on some models and the internals are different. Some Chinese models tried to adopt the SKS to use AK47 parts. That's why you see the D model which accepts AK mags.

Other countries used similar markings as the Chinese but they didn't have as many different types of SKS's and they had relatively few different markings as a result. There are websites that try to identify many of the markings but some are more detailed than others. This web page describes some of the country codes on SKS's. This web page details many of the codes on the Chinese models. It's a complicated business with all the different symbols and number codes involved really. But it can tell you if you have a rare version of a Chicom SKS. It might also give you info on exactly what mods were done to that particular gun.
Old August 16, 2008, 09:22 PM   #33
Teppo Sensei

my first gun was a new in box norinco SKS right after i turned 18 i paid $120 for it. 12 years later it sits in my safe and collects dust
couldnt afford the AK at the time and now i have 3AKs
2 i built from parts kits. rommy G sidefold pistol grip & AMD65 custom
kept the sks cause it uses the same ammo
i changed the wood stock to a plastic pistol grip one and cut the wings off the bolt so i could change mags with bolt closed
mine has a triangle 26 and says (56type) in chinese (go ju roku shiki)
japanese wife says so
my sks shoot 2 shot bursts sometimes when i pull the trigger slow
i guess its a flaw in the trigger group
has a milled trigger guard

i think the type81 is a SKS AK hybrid short stroke AK47
the type63 used detachable mags

Last edited by Teppo Sensei; August 17, 2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old August 16, 2008, 10:36 PM   #34
FireMax

Quote:
my sks shoot 2 shot bursts sometimes when i pull the trigger slow
i guess its a flaw in the trigger group has a milled trigger guard
SKS slam fire. Get a firing pin fix from Murrays http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm or, disassemble your firing pin and clean it out real well.

Tags
chinese , sks