The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2008, 12:32 AM   #1
dipper

cast bullets

Hi guys,
I reload but have never used lead cast bullets.
I know there are different brands available.
I was wondering what you all use and what is considered the "best" brand.
I will be purchasing these for 38/357 magnum pistol and .308 rifle maybe others in the future.
So, any help?? What do ya'll like.

Thanks,

Dipper
Old April 21, 2008, 06:34 AM   #2
cdrt

I use a couple of local mfg for cast bullets. You don't say where you're located, so this info may not help.
Check out www.bulletworks.com and www.keadbullets.com.
KEAD is a little slow, but makes a great bullet. Both will ship in USPS flat rate boxes if you ask.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old April 21, 2008, 06:42 AM   #3
CowTowner

Another one in Texas is http://www.precisionbullets.com. The price includes USPS shipping but not sales tax for us Texans.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 21, 2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Sevens

Using cast bullets opens up a whole new world. Quality varies and bullet diameter matters, so if you try one and your results are HORRIBLE, don't give up, but try another. Also, cast bullets in rifle is a whole different game. You won't be making loads that come anywhere near a typical rifle load. They will be very much reduced in velocity and like give you a much different point of aim.

While there are a helluva lot of people casting and even more people using cast lead bullets in pistols and revolvers, it's a much smaller community of folks who shoot them in rifles, and many less folks who cast them in rifle calibers.

Lately, I've been using bullets from a local caster here in Ohio (Vance Bullets out of Rushelvania) but I'm getting ready to order up from either Mastercast.com or Pennbullets.com. I would highly recommend you punch up Penn Bullets' website to learn a good bit about how to use and choose cast lead bullets.
Old April 21, 2008, 10:16 AM   #5
ShootingNut

dipper

Check out Mike at www.Mastercastbullets.com,
top quality, good service, with 8 bucks or so to ship up to 70# anywhere (almost).
SN

Last edited by ShootingNut; April 21, 2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: website
Old April 21, 2008, 05:35 PM   #6
dipper

cast bullets

Thanks guys,

Good info.

Dipper
Old April 21, 2008, 11:33 PM   #7
HOGGHEAD

Cast Bullets

Try to find a local supplier. Freight charges are goingt through the roof. Also if you slug your barrel and need a specific size, a local guy might work more closely with you. Better yet buy a mold and do it yourself. It is a hoot to cast and shoot a deer with your own bullet. Tom.
Old April 21, 2008, 11:50 PM   #8
dipper

casting

Hi Hogghead,
I know shipping costs have gone through the roof---I've been ordering a few things lately and I could not believe the cost to get it here.
I actually have thought about casting my own.
About 20 years ago, I purchased a lot of reloading equipment from my brother in laws father and it included some old Lyman bullet molds complete with directions . The guy was pretty good about saving stuff and took great care of everything he owned.
I know there is some molds in the box for 38spl./.357 magnum and they are in great shape.
I also have a Lee furnace that holds about 8 lbs. of lead---I make my own fishing jigs and sinkers with it--I got a bunch of jig molds too.
I played around with the bullet molds and cast about 2 dozen just for fun--I wouldn't shoot them but they sure looked purdy.
Maybe I'll read up on proper alloy material/bullet material and give it a shot.
Just what I need--something else to keep me at the bench!!
I guess all I would need at this point is a sizer and something for the lube---never done it so maybe I'll check it out.

Rich
Old April 22, 2008, 07:07 AM   #9
qajaq59

Dipper, if you already have the furnace and the other gear you should at least try reloading some of your own cast bullets. It can be a lot of fun. And boy, it's a lot cheaper.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:14 AM   #10
freakshow10mm

Casting for yourself is fun. It's when you cast for others when it looses a bit of its flair. It still is fun, it's something I enjoy doing (nothing like Metallica played real loud and molten lead!).

The money savings is quite a reality. Being able to cast 1000 bullets for under $8-10 is the norm, if you're willing to do the labor.

A few tips on the luber/sizer machine. I recommend the RCBS Lube A Matic 2 (LAM2) for the home caster, it will run about $140 or so retail, bit cheaper used. I just sold mine with a TP and sizer die for $100 shipped. You will need a top punch and sizer die, that together may run $30 or so. I prefer to shoot bullets that just have a single lube groove. The RCBS and Lyman dies and top punches will work in either machine.

The RCBS dies just have one hole for lube to fill the lube grooves on the bullet and the Lyman dies usually have 4 holes. If you shoot a bullet that has more than two grooves, get the Lyman sizer die. Much easier to size a 3-4 groove bullet with a Lyman die that with a single hole RCBS die. The Lyman dies and TPs are also a bit cheaper. Quality is the same, both are good companies.

Get some good gloves for safety, always wear your glasses and wear your mask.

Here's the mask and glasses I wear.

Here's the gloves.

Here's my setup.
Old April 22, 2008, 10:36 AM   #11
dipper

casting

Thanks for the info. Freakshow I appreciate it and you probably saved me some aggravation in the future--- I always like input from someone who has experience---Thanks again,

Dipper
Old April 22, 2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Hawg

freakshow10mm, I'd pour molten lead all over myself if I wore gloves.
Old April 23, 2008, 01:54 AM   #13
HOGGHEAD

Casting

Having a sizer is a good thing, but you do not have to have one to start casting your own bullets. The same goes with a "luber". You can pan lube your bullets, and you can somewhat adjust the size of your bullets by the alloy you use(to try an approximate your bore). To me casting is just a hoot. I have 300 pounds of WW I have to smelt tomorrow. Good luck, Tom.