The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 28, 2005, 06:44 PM   #1
Rovert

1911 Trigger BOW Only?

Howdy, folks. Where would you go to find a trigger BOW only for a 1911 for those of us who want to experiment with making our own custom triggers?
Old May 29, 2005, 12:26 PM   #2
Lycanthrope

STI sells trigger blanks. Or.......

Go to the nearest gunshow and find some old triggers with the plastic shoe and just melt it off.
Old May 30, 2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

Trigger Bow:

Dear Shooter:
Sir, may I most respectfully say that if you're going to use this gun for COMBAT use I would not recommend this; I'd get a Videki (or clone) of their 3 hole trigger. Usually people want a super-lite trigger to prevent "following" with a TOO LIGHT trigger-pull. More "following" on a 1911 package is caused by "trigger bounce" than all other reasons combined!
I cannot recommend a trigger lighter than four lbs' on a combat gun, and five is better! When you really see the elephant trigger pull has NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING!
The same with a DGR rifle like my .416 Taylor which I left the good Mauser two stage pull on at five lbs'. I want to know when that thing goes off in African hunting! Also on my 9.3X62.
I hope I've not offended your choice and if you want it, go for it.
Harry B.
Old May 31, 2005, 01:43 AM   #4
guntotin_fool

i believe that brownells has some.
Old May 31, 2005, 01:13 PM   #5
Rovert

Gentlemen, I'm still looking.

Harry, no, this is definitely NOT for a combat application.

Lycanthrope, I'm looking for the bow only. To demill a trigger "adds insult to injury", because I'm spending more for a part only to grind off what I just spend more money for.

Guntotin', I looked on the Brownell's website, but didn't find anything. Do you happen to have a part number for me? I don't have a hard copy catalog, so you have me at a disadvantage.

Thanks!
Old June 1, 2005, 08:50 AM   #6
brickeyee

"To demill a trigger "adds insult to injury", because I'm spending more for a part only to grind off what I just spend more money for."

You will likely pay as much (and maybe even more) since the demand for trigger bows without triggers is pretty small.
Triggers for a 1911 are $20-$50. There is at least one ‘system’ with the ability to change the shoe for length and curve.
Old June 1, 2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Lycanthrope

The last gunshow I went to had a bucket of old 1911 triggers fro $5 a piece. I figured that'd be worth trying.

The changeable insert is the SVI system.