The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 20, 2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Rojoe67

Yugo Mauser questions...

I purchased a Yugo Mauser a few years ago... It was a gun show deal and just seemed to catch my eye. It came with all the odds and ends which meant little to me. I bought the rifle because it had all matching parts (#'s) and looked to me like new or -issued condition.? I had the head space checked by a good smith and he gave it a thumbs up. I have fired it 3 times since and enjoy this rifle. It was built in Yugoslavia in 1950. The dealer whom sold it to me said it was built for the Egyptian Army but after built the Egyptians cancel the order and so this and many others went into storage. I just guess this guy was telling the true story.? My questions are: Is this rifle something worth putting any money into? I thought a synthetic stock and a scout type mount for a pistol type (LER) scope. IS it worth the $ to get this into a hunting type rifle? or should I leave it as is? I think this Mauser style was a dime a dozen so the value to a collector seems low?- am I right? I see a few manufactures (ammo) load up the 8mm but to a lower psi to cover them on older rifles. Even with the lower psi would this still be a good 150 yard - medium / deer rifle. ? Any help is a plus for me. It is a heavy monster as is now.... I think if I would make it a field gun the synthetic stock would bring the weight down a little and help the recoil? anyone try this and has input fire away...........and thanks for your time spent in informing me.... Rojoe67
Old January 20, 2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Erich

Yeah, those unmarked 48s were for the Egyptians according to everything I've read on the subject.

I don't really think there's enough collector value to justify leaving the gun as is if you want to change it (it's not a S&W 38/44 or anything ). On my M48, I've stripped and refinished the ash stock, and installed front-and-back Mojo aperture sights. I'm fixing to install one of those great aftermarket triggers that that fellow sells over on gunboards.com.

Installing the Mojo sights majorly improved my ability to shoot the M48 with accuracy. I feel that changing the trigger out will bring it up another quantum.

Edited: Here's that trigger -
http://www.huberconcepts.com/review1.htm
Old January 20, 2005, 07:42 PM   #3
Rojoe67

Thanks Erich......... I will look into those too.... Good luck......good shooting
Old January 20, 2005, 11:52 PM   #4
Lawyer Daggit

Jugo mausers

Nothing wrong with them. They are a reputable source and could form the basis for a good custom gun.

I think that the Zastava is mauser that is currently available is from this plant.