The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2011, 10:16 PM   #26
frumious

If you can swing it I'd say go progressive. But buy a good one (i.e. not a Lee). Lee makes great everything, except progressive presses.

As Farmland indicated, you can run a progressive like a single stage, running a whole block (50) of cases through one station, then the whole block through the next station, etc.. You can also run it progressive, just one round at a time. Then you can run it full blast. This way you can get used to the steps of reloading, how the press operates, etc. There is nothing wrong with going straight to a progressive if you are careful and somewhat mechanically inclined, and you get a good one. You have enough going on without having to worry about the press being wonky.

Me, I started with a Lee Loadmaster and grew to dread reloading. Only after I sold it and bought a decent progressive (RCBS Pro2000) did I start to enjoy reloading.

I have a little single-stage as well, but I bought it after the Pro2000. I wanted something to do super-precise bullet seating on for rifle rounds, and something I could use to deprime any brass I had (using a universal decapper).

You are doing the right thing by watching YouTube videos IMHO. They are very helpful for you to get a feel of what goes into reloading.

Oh, and I load .45ACP for about $6.50 per box with 5 gr Bullseye, 200 gr purchased lead semi-wadcutters, CCI primers (usually), and mixed brass picked up from the range. Although it can be as high as $7.25 per box depending on whose bullets I buy and whether I buy 500 or 1000 at a time.

Good luck and be safe!

-cls
Old June 25, 2011, 07:35 AM   #27
CrustyFN

I forgot to mention I load 45 acp for $1.25 per box of 50 with my own cast bullets.
Old June 25, 2011, 08:49 AM   #28
Ike666

Most of the advice and guidance you've gotten so far is solid. Which simply illustrates that there is more than one way to get started.

I don't question or doubt the recommendations to start with a single stage press. The rationales provided are well grounded. That said, I started reloading 25 years ago with a Dillon RL550B progressive. My interest at the time was in reloading .45 ACP and 9mm for practical shooting (training and competition). I would reload in 1000-round lots.

At the time I was pretty sure I'd never reload anything else other than these two pistol calibers. Oh, the folly of youth! I'm now well addicted and load for about 10 different handgun calibers and 6 different rifle calibers.

Ironically, my second press was a classic Rock Chucker. I bough it to help with case prep for .308 rounds, then with cases prepped, moved them to the Dillon for priming, powder, seating, and crimping.

Now I reload all my rifle ammunition (except the 5.7x28 - rifle, pistol can't make up it's mind) on a Forster Co-Ax (single stage).

My next press will be a turret. Many will tell you I've gone about this the "wrong" way. But you know what - I am thoroughly addicted to the art of hand loaded, precision ammunition; and I can still load in bulk when the situation calls for it.

So, enjoy the journey. The production of your own ammunition is its own reward, any financial savings is just collateral damage.
Old June 25, 2011, 09:41 AM   #29
TXGunNut

As someone already said, get a balance beam scale, not an electronic one. -zxcvbob
An electronic scale doesn't replace a bb scale, IMHO. I have two standalone electronic scales and one as part of an auto powder measure but I still keep the bb scale around, just like I do my ss press. I don't trust digital calipers for some silly reason so a good dial caliper is as fancy as I get. More sophisticated equipment does not replace the simple stuff on my bench, merely supplements it.
I think it's time for me to log off and go make those new Lee bullet molds pay for themselves. 200-300 swc's should do the trick, after that they're almost free. Right, Crusty?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 25, 2011, 11:08 AM   #30
CrustyFN

Quote:
I think it's time for me to log off and go make those new Lee bullet molds pay for themselves. 200-300 swc's should do the trick, after that they're almost free. Right, Crusty?
You got that right TX. Have fun casting.
Old June 25, 2011, 11:19 AM   #31
TXGunNut

Kinda hot out there today. Cast a few round balls because the furnace had PB in it. WW in there now, came in to cool off while it heated up.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.