The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Dgremlin

.45 ACP Charging Die?

I have been reloading .45 loads for a month or so using the Lee Deluxe Carbide Dies. When I raise the shell into the charging die(?) that spreads the mouth of the shell, it is really hard to get the shell out, especially new cases. It seems like the cases that have been used more get easier. I've tried lubing the cases but it doesn't make it much easier. Is this typical of .45 ACPs or should I try a different die set? ( I have the same Lee die set for my .44 mags and I don't have this problem with them.)
Old March 26, 2005, 10:51 AM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

How large of a bell is it putting on the case mouth? I've been using the Lee powder drop for a while and it does okay. Are you resizing the cases prior to using the powder drop die?
Old March 26, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Dgremlin

I use the resizing/primer removal die first, then clean the primer hole, install a new primer and put it in the charging die. It seems like I do have to put a rather large bell on the cases to get the bullet started. I've actually crumpled a couple cases because I didn't put enough bell on them. And I have the same problem no matter what type or brand of bullet. Maybe I just don't have the feel for the "right size" bell yet. (I'm fairly new to reloading)
Old March 26, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4
DAVID NANCARROW

Try putting on just enough bell so the bullet will just sit on top of the case without cocking. If you are crushing the cases on the bullet seating die, its because of inadequate crimp. I suspect you are loading jacketed bullets. Try this:

First thing is to take the die apart and make sure its clean, then reassemble.
Raise the ram to the top. Back off the lock ring a few turns. Turn the die down until it just touches the shell holder, then back the die off one full turn. Hold the die stationary, and turn your lock ring down snug. After that, try belling a case and then set a bullet on top. If its obviously too small, turn the die in a little bit at a time-about a 1/8th turn until the bullet will sit correctly on the case.
Old March 26, 2005, 02:56 PM   #5
JoeHatley

With new brass, I normaly chamfer the inside case mouth lightly. Makes the belling downstroke much easier and helps prevent lead shaving with cast bullets.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old March 26, 2005, 07:19 PM   #6
Russ5924

I use Lee dies and have found the .45 acp will stick some,all I can say is use the least belling that you can.Sometimes as the bullet goes into the seating die they will tip and then you damage the case. Also it depends on the manufacture Winchester and speer stick,R-P will run almost with no sticking depends on the hardness of the brass???????? When I reload .38 I will NOT use the WCC for that reason and thrown most out.What size is the bullet you are using ?? .45?
Old March 26, 2005, 08:11 PM   #7
Dgremlin

The last batch was .451 (Hornady 230gr. FMJ FP) In fact, I think all the bullets I've used have been .451