The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 17, 2015, 10:46 AM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

Let's be real - as long as we have rampage shooters, someone will look askance at someone coming near them carrying a gun.

Don't say that you don't take a second look at such a person because you are an advocate of the RKBA.

If you are in a mall or Starbucks and someone walks in with an AR - you would be remiss if your alertness level and a contingency plan didn't come to the fore.
Old June 17, 2015, 11:28 AM   #27
TheNocturnus

I have only been "made" once (that I am aware of) and it was in a walmart parking lot. I was getting out of my car and didn't realize my shirt had rode up over my holster. I saw a woman walking by my car heading inside. She looked at me with very wide eyes and quickened her pace.

In the same town, my favorite tattoo shop has a sign on the front door that says "we encourage lawfully carried handguns in our establishment".

Point is that there are anti's and pro gunners in every area. It's up to us as lawfully carrying individuals to set a good example and show the anti's that they have nothing to fear from us.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old June 17, 2015, 11:34 AM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm afraid that in many folks biases won't be overcome in any foreseeable future. You just need one Aurora theater incident to reinstate such in the public's mind.

The OC issue is contentious. It seen as tactically useful for some but that is highly debated. It is seen as educational but some but that is debated also. It is an in your face by some passed on the carrier's personality.

What more is to be said?
Old July 19, 2015, 08:29 PM   #29
Brit

Cops on average, see holstered Pistols, they are not to worried, holsters do not scream bad guy.

I was putting gear in my Jeep, feel my shirt getting pulled down, looked around, female Deputy walking away, waved.

Walk into a Mall, with a slung Rifle? You are an idiot!
Old July 19, 2015, 09:39 PM   #30
Doc Holliday 1950

At 67 yr. old I still say "yes sir or no ma'am" to my elders. Always hold the door open for any woman & always say thank you. My parents were very strict about social manners and by the way, I have carried since 1970 & I am from NJ. Am I an aberration?? I Don't think so.
Respectfully,
Doc
Old July 19, 2015, 10:38 PM   #31
Mike38

A few years ago I was turkey hunting in a state park here in north central Illinois. Hunting ended at 12:00 noon. I unloaded my shotgun and was walking a trail back to the parking lot. Came around a bend in the trail and a man and woman hiking met me. The woman screamed GUN and was visibly shaken and her breathing became rapid and labored. The man was noticeably concerned, but not as bad as the woman. I smiled and said good afternoon to them and continued walking. When I got to the parking lot the only other vehicle there besides mine had a city of Chicago sticker on the windshield. I then knew the reason the couple were panicked over seeing a person with a firearm. Funny how attitudes change in only 100 miles distance, let alone state to state.
Old July 21, 2015, 12:09 PM   #32
Stevie-Ray

I've moved to a far gun-friendlier section of a blue state. Away from the Detroit area, where guns are needed the most, and yet seemingly are the most highly vilified. I was so sick of some idiot screaming gun, and the police not saying, "Yeah? So what?" at those times when they know perfectly they should have. Up here, I'm constantly asked to get things down from upper shelves for the vertically challenged. I don't go overboard with cover garments, being this is an OC state, and consequently I generally expose my weapon for a few seconds during those times. There has never been a change in the demeanor of anybody that asked, upon seeing it. Almost like they expect it. So much nicer.
Old July 24, 2015, 11:33 AM   #33
Brit

My Sons Security Company had a Big Jewelry Chain store for some 6 months, I was the first Security Uniformed Officer.

It was near the Florida Mall.

The English Tourists were a entertaining group! One Posh Lady, with her lap dog Husband, asked him, to ask me if my Glock 19 was loaded!

They, according to their accents, were from the South of England, London?

I said of course, it would be no good unloaded, would it.

The Woman said "A Scouser, with a gun!" Quite concerned, Scouser, some one from Liverpool, we have a totally earned bad reputation.

Once they wondered off, the Son, around 14? Came back. I let him hold a magazine, gave him a run down on shooting, nice young guy.