The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 12, 2008, 06:08 PM   #1
doctori

Casual dress carry

I live in a semi warm climate and generally wear a tucked in shirt and dress pants. My job will not allow me to carry inside my office unless I carry a badge (which I do not). I do carry my CCW whis is sometimes a Glock 19 or XD and lock it in a vehicle lock box until I get out of work. I do have a paddle that I wear with my CCW. The weather here can get up to 90 degrees. I would look really out of place putting on a jacket. When I come home I sometimes put on my paddle and walk 50' from the street to my house. Would this be considered brandishing? I am not trying to 'show off'. My state is 'open carry' but would be frowned upon in the large 'Motor City' in which I live. It would not look right for me to pull out my dress shirt and walk in. I could try to dress in my parking lot but that may cause unwanted attention since our lot has closed circuit TV's. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you solve it? Thanks.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Dwight55

Depending on the size of your weapon, you might find that a belt mounted camera case could solve your carry problem, . . . especially if you are a photo taker type person.

There are several of these available through a Google search, . . . I personally just wear mine inside my tucked in shirt in a tuckable holster, . . . shoulder holster, . . . or Mexican carry under the shirt (cross draw).

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 12, 2008, 07:46 PM   #3
doctori

Thanks Dwight55. My carry weapon varies between a Kimber UC II and a Glock 19. I tried a fanny pack but that looked way out of place with a shirt and tie. I have a lot of nosey co-workers and security that love to follow me to my car and chitchat. So the quicker I can get out of there the better I will google for the camera bag.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:55 PM   #4
MeekAndMild

Kramer Confidant
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Don Lu

I dress in buisness attire evryday. I pocket carry a snubnose ..Dont rule out pocket carry. With the right holster it looks the same as a wallet or cell phone ect..based on the guns you currently carry it is out of the question, but the convinience and comfort are worth purchasing a snub (if you dont already have one).
Old August 12, 2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Dwight55

Here's one web site

http://www.passport-holsters.com/camtrav-bag.html

But (don't laugh too hard) don't rule out your local camera shop or WalMart. There are real, honest to goodness, camera bags that hook onto your belt, . . . have Kodak or something on the side, . . . and would work very well.

Course, . . . you could make a real statement with one that said Canon and held a Ruger Alaskan in .454

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 12, 2008, 10:49 PM   #7
Sigma 40 Blaster

If you're trying to find a simple way to go from packing to not packing and vice versa when you come to work and leave...either a tuckable IWB holster or a "holster undershirt" come to mind.

The undershirts have a pocket under the armpit area that rides like a shoulder holster. Tuckable holsters are convenient BUT you have to leave them on all day, empty. I suppose you could pay a visit to the porcelain chair area and remove and re-holster.

Google either one, you can easily un-holster and re-arrange your clothes while driving and have everything locked up and back in place by the time you pull into your parking space.
Old August 12, 2008, 11:55 PM   #8
Threefeathers

I'm a teacher and pack in my IWB, a Wild Bills No Such Agency. I just take it off while in the car, slide in a cash box that has 'wrestling tickets' in magic marker on it. put n the floor of the car, get out and lock up. I reverse the process when I leave. No problem. My buddies know I carry and so do most of them.
Old August 13, 2008, 07:06 AM   #9
doctori

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I will try some of the aforementioned suggestions and add to my holster collection I failed to mention that some of my co-workers are current and former LEO's and UCO's. While some may not care if I carry or not there is one or two that I know whose philosophy is that of "if you don't have a badge you don't carry around here at all". I could go from being an employee to a resident at a nearby jail So far, I have not been made to my knowledge
Old August 13, 2008, 08:17 AM   #10
Musketeer

Smart Carry means nobody need ever know...

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old August 13, 2008, 08:19 AM   #11
Musketeer

I also have a deal with my company. I never bring up the carry issue which they would certainly frown upon if they knew, they get to benefit from my services, and I promise to allow any workplace rampage shooter free and unhindered access to the hall way the CEO and COO occupy.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old August 13, 2008, 05:37 PM   #12
doctori

Musketeer, I hear you loud and clear If someone came into my office I would probably point them in the direction of my CEO who wants to take the lead on most things (so why disappoint him). However, I did consider Smartcarry but the idea of having a 45acp pointed in the direction of Mr. Happy does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling