The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Muleskinner

Load Data for Oregon Trail (Laser Cast) 145 gr RN

Hi Folks,

Well I've done it again. I bought another batch of Oregon Trail bullets without checking if I could find load data. I'm using HS6 and Hodgon's site anything for a 145 gr RN. All it shows is a 147 gr Hornady XTP. Loaddata.com shows AAC-5 data at 4.6 to 5.1 grs. The printed info I got from Oregon Trails doesn't even list the 145gr RN for 9mm. They show a 147 gr FN, but no data for HS6. My Hornady book doesn't show anything for a 145 gr lead bullet. My Lyman book shows a 147 gr, #356657, of 4.4 to 5.0 with an OAL of 1.058 which is less than the min length of 9mm.

I don't know where else to look. Thanks in advance for any info or advice you have,

Tim
Old August 8, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I would call Oregan Trail and see if they can help you. If they can't I would take the laod data for the Lyman cast bullet and seat it somewhere between min and max col. You will find out which COL functions the best. 145, 147 grn....no differencence here. Both are cast lead, so you should be safe as long as the bearing surface is sbout the same too. Start low and work up. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 9, 2009, 08:52 AM   #3
8ring

Call Hodgdon and ask them. They have a great deal of load information about their propellants.

Or you can go to a bookstore and look at the 2009 version of their Annual Manual which also contains a wealth of load information.

Chris
Old August 9, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Muleskinner

Load Data for Oregon Trail (Laser Cast) 145 gr RN

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers, but your responses bring up more questions. I don't want to offend anyone but I have Oregon Trail's data sheets for 9mm Lugar and they do not list a 145 gr RN.

I went to Hodgon's site. Why wouldn't they have all their load data on their site?

Just asking, as you can probably tell, I'm new to reloading.

Tim
Old August 9, 2009, 01:35 PM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

That is why you should call Oregan Trail. Or use the data for the 147 grn lead bullet. There is no difference between 145 and 147 grn bullets as far as powder charge. Just be mindful of more or less bearing surface on the 2 bullets. Just start at the starting load and work up.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~

Last edited by IllinoisCoyoteHunter; August 9, 2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old August 9, 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
snuffy

You are trying to be too specific! Not a bad thing, but you're carrying it to an extreme. It is literally impossible for every bullet made to be matched up with exact loading data for it. As yote hunter has said twice, just start at recommended starting levels for a similar bullet AND weight, work up to max.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 9, 2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Muleskinner

Hi guys.

I'll call Oregon Trail on Monday, also call Hodgon on Monday.

I'm a retired Information Systems Analyst, so yes, I tend to try to be specific. I know reloading/shooting is dangerous and I just don't want to mess anything up for myself or others. Until I get more expierience, I'll continue to ask questions.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Tim