The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 21, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1
MPP1423

Loads For The Ruger Old Army

I Am About To Buy A Ruger Old Army And Was Wondering The Max Load For This Gun?i Have 3 Rem's And I Can Load Them Up To 40grns Of 777 Under A 200 Gr Cast Bullet With No Problems.also Are The Caps #11's As Well Or Are They Another Size?
Old October 26, 2005, 09:18 PM   #2
Hafoc

I don't know about the powder charge. I thought you could load the Old Army right up, but I don't have the official word on that.

I did, though, just read a review somewhere that mentioned the caps. Supposedly on his older Old Army, no cap really fit correctly. Tens were too small, 11s you had to pinch to an oval to get them to hold on. He said the newer Old Armies had been changed, and now took a Remington #11 perfectly. I don't know if it's correct, but that's what I remember reading.
Old October 26, 2005, 09:30 PM   #3
Remington kid

As for a good cap for the old Army it seems to me that the German made #1075 would be perfect. I know they are on my Remington. The Remington #11 fit alright and the CCI #10 are better but nothing beats the #1075.
As for loads I have heard the same thing. Load her up and have fun Kevin!
Let us know how loud the BOOOOMMMM!!!! is. Wish I was there to watch you shoot that thing cause I know you will load it up good! Mike
Old October 27, 2005, 01:14 AM   #4
MPP1423

Thanks Guys For The Info And Your Right Mike,i'll Load It Up To The Rim And Touch Her Off If That What Ruger Says.i Just Have Had No Dealings With The Old Army Rugers But I'll Learn Fast.lol.i Think I Got A Deal On It.i Won It Off Gunbroker.com For 290.00.its The 5 1/2 Blue Steel W/fixed Sites.thats The One I Was Wanting.guy,if You Have Not Been On Gunbroker.com You Need To Go!i Have Won 6 Guns Now And All Deals Have Went Great And The Firearms Are What Is Described.its Like Ebay For Guns.lol.beware,if You Do It Once Your Hooked.thats Where I Got My Last Two Rem's.
Old November 6, 2005, 01:33 PM   #5
Gatofeo

Ruger warrants the Old Army to be safe with as much black powder as you can get in the chamber and still have room for a projectile.
I don't know what Ruger has to say about ersatz black powder, such as Hodgdon's 777 or Pyrodex. It would be best to check with the powder manufacturer on that point.
The Old Army is noted for being an extremely strong gun. Yet, it is not designed to use smokeless powder --- regardless what some knuckle-dragger tells you. And if anyone tells you different, ask them what ballistics lab was used to test pressures in their gun.
Old November 6, 2005, 04:57 PM   #6
MPP1423

Thanks Guys For The Info.ive Since Received My Old Army And I Loaded It To The Rim And It Functoned Like A Champ.it Shoots Great And I Ordered The Lee Hollow Point Mold Also.these Bullets Shoot Great Too.