The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Tomster10

Help with scope fitting.

I have a Browning X-Bolt in .375H&H, I was attempting to mount a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm scope on it but the bases are just barely too far apart for the rings to be on the level part of the scope. A guy at the gun shop said I should look for other bases but I think I'll have to swap the scope. My question is: Is there a way to know if a scope will fit without putting it on the rifle? Thank y'all for any advice.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:52 PM   #2
big al hunter

Measure the scope rings outside to outside. Measure the scope at the store.

Or get some offset rings to make the scope you have work. It is less expensive than a new scope.
Old November 13, 2013, 06:56 AM   #3
jmr40

I use the same scope on a couple of rifles. On a short action you have a little room to adjust for proper eye relief. On a long action, only a very small bit if using conventional rings. For me at least it isn't a problem. I can get that scope exactly where I want it even on a long action. Leupolds have much longer eye relief and are far more forgiving than other brands. If you cannot get proper eye relief it is pretty easy to just swap for different rings.
Old November 13, 2013, 07:11 AM   #4
HiBC

I looked up options for your rifle at Brownells.

They show a Leupold dual dovetail setup.The base appears to have significant offset in the available pictures.

As you are looking at a Leupold scope,I would go to Leupolds website,get their tech line and call them.Ask if it works out.

I sure like my 2.5-8 and the dual dovetail system would hold up to a .375.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...owning__X-Bolt
Old November 13, 2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Tomster10

Thanks for the replies, I'm using leupold's quick release rings, the rifle has iron sights and I want to use them. Are there any other quick release options out there that might work better?
Old November 14, 2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Picher

I often use two-piece Weaver Top Mount Bases and most of them can be reversed to make more or less space between them, which I had to do on a rifle recently to better fit the owner.