The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 16, 2013, 11:41 AM   #1
earlc

1884 Winchester 32 wcf octagon barrel

I have an 1884 Winchester octagon barrel 32wcf serial number 721--6 that shows that it was built in 1913. I am considering possibly selling this rifle since along with about 18 others sitting with it never gets fired since my time at the range is spent either firing my m1 garand or one of my 1911 45s. Does anyone have any idea of the value of this rifle?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (253.5 KB, 60 views)
Old June 16, 2013, 12:13 PM   #2
hoghunting

If you're interested in selling your Winchester, recommend contacting www.rockislandauction.com as it will probably sell for a higher price than gunbroker.
Old June 16, 2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Jim Watson

1884 is the patent date for a Model 1892 rifle. If you are going to sell something, it is important to describe it accurately. I know people who get amazing bargains because guns were advertised incorrectly and did not get widely noticed.

I won't guess a dollar value but there are two things going on.
Pro: It is an uncommon variant, takedown with half magazine and full octagon barrel. If the tang sight is factory (is the rear barrel sight a folding leaf or is that a dovetail blank?) that adds interest.
Con: It looks pretty worn. But then my 1911 edition is, too.
Small calibers seem less in demand than large.
Old June 16, 2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Malamute

Yes, your rifle is a Model 1892. The model marking is on the upper tang, under the tang sight. The caliber is commonly called 32-20 today.

It does have some serious wear, but would still be interesting to many. If its in fairly good mechanical condition, and the action and takedown is reasonably tight, it would be desirable as a shooter, and worth more than a common gun.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old June 17, 2013, 01:42 PM   #5
PetahW

Advertised properly, in a widely-attended gun acution, IMO you have a rifle that should bring at least between $1500-$2000 in that condition, Earl - if not more.