The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 03:08 AM   #51
natman

Quote:
Sorry bout the GSR/GRS spelling. Natman I know what you mean and yes shooting a peep or GRS you only focus on the target and front sight, no rear sight to line up. Peep sights offer accurate and precise shooting. If you train with a GRS I'm sure you will be fast and accurate. My opinion is based on my own experience. I find it easier to negotiate a home without a GRS. I also don't like lasers on handgun but many people use them with ease and swear by them.
As I've said before, there's plenty of room for personal preference. If you understand how GRS work and you've tried them but based on your actual experience find something else works better for you, then by all means go with what works best for you and Godspeed.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:43 AM   #52
Spats McGee
Staff

I don't have a dog in the fight on the ghost ring issue. I'll freely admit that I've never once in my life used a ghost ring on a shotgun.

With that said, I use something similar to this for duck hunting. I know it's wingshooting, but it is also wingshooting around dawn. It's very easy to pick up the sight.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:55 AM   #53
mharveyww1

Remington, Mossberg and Benelli

I have a special affinity for the 870 after toting one for a while in lovely SE Asia! In a wet climate and conditions so dirty that you'd just have to experience (and endure) to believe, it never failed to get the job done.

Yes, you can do the same things to the Mossbergs and I knew some guys who carried THEM in combat and were also well-served.
Either will get the job done and both are reliable if handled properly.

Since those days of my ill-spent youth, I acquired an 870 Tactical and have 'tricked it out' with a side-mounted shell holder, Knoxx Stock and Tritium night sights.

A left hand injury (permanent damage) has caused me to forsake it, however, because I just can't be sure than I'M going to perform reliably... especially in an adrenaline-flooded situation!

Enter: The Benelli M-4...WOW! Yes, it IS expensive. But, if you plan to keep whichever gun you buy for many years, the M-4 is well worth the extra $$$.
To my knowledge, it's the first semi-auto shotgun that has been accepted by the US Military. If the USMC thinks it's reliable enough to use in the Sandbox, then it's good enough for me.
I've "tricked it out" as well, including the magazine extender (7+1), larger charging handle, side-mounted shell holder, 3-point sling and Trijicon night sights. It is as beautiful to look at as it is to shoot and, through 1,000+ rounds...so far...not one hiccup or cough. This is a semi-auto you can really trust your life with.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Mike