The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 27, 2007, 05:52 PM   #1
shepherddogs

Inactive for sale posts

This is probably the wrong place but here goes anyway. Somebody posts a gun for sale and people reply to the ad but the seller never answers. I've responded to a couple ads but the sellers just disappear. Shouldn't these ads be deleted so that a current list of "real" items for sale is maintained?
Old November 27, 2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Somebody posts a gun for sale and people reply to the ad but the seller never answers. I've responded to a couple ads but the sellers just disappear.
Sure like the answer to your question, too. There's an ACTIVE member here that I PM'd and posted on his thread regarding a gun he had for sale and never even got a response. It's bad enough that there may be a drive-by. Even worse when you see the person still meandering on the boards...

It would clean up the threads a bit, but moderators would be able to answer your question better than I would. My guess is that's it's extremely time consuming to police all the buy/sell threads to see what has been bought/sold by contacting the originator...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 28, 2007, 07:09 AM   #3
IZinterrogator

I like the way M1911.org does it. They delete a for sale ad after 30 days, sold or not. If you still haven't sold it, you just post it again. Saves you from getting search hits from 1999.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old November 28, 2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

We understand your frustration with non-responsive sellers (and buyers). However, the for-sale forums are not a major feature of TFL even though they are very active. They exist only for the convenience of our members. The moderators do not actively monitor the threads in those forums, so any offer to buy or sell that doesn't receive a reply is almost never seen nor acted on by the moderators.

I kinda like the M1911.org system IZinterrogator described. However, again, that would take monitoring of at least the thread timestamps. Even that isn't done currently. We have tended to keep the old for-sale threads around for archival and reference purposes. Maybe that policy should be revisited since those purposes never really seem to come into play that I am aware of.