The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2008, 06:47 PM   #26
Toneloc

I've got an encore problem with a new 7mm mag barrel I just purchased.

The action will not close. It appears the head is too close relative to where case protrudes.

Any thoughts?

Tony
Old December 25, 2008, 09:48 PM   #27
marshall623

I had sim. problem with 7-30 waters . I was trying to neck size with a full length die. Gunsmith & long time reloader showed my chamber was short & fat and I was making cases too long to chamber by doing that. Web article by T/C guroo said that cotenders will not lock up completley when brass is under sized and the hammer will cock & fire but the firing pin won't have full
force. Don't know how the gun could do that, but a neck die solved the problem. Now in 7-30 I take the barrel check every case before it's loaded
Old December 25, 2008, 11:01 PM   #28
HOGGHEAD

Simple fix

Pretty simple fix. Take a set of feeler gauges and determine the amount of gap between your barrel and the receiver. Just keep closing the barrel on the feeler gauge until you can not pull it out. This will give you your "Gap". All break action firearms have a gap. That is the nature of the beast. Size your brass with the smoke method. Or in other words keep bumping the shoulder back until the smoke is no longer marked when you chamber the brass. then add the cylinder gap to your sizing die. That will end your problem.

There are some Encore's that you can not neck size. Some actually require FL sizing. And FL sizing is recommended for all Encore's for reliable ignition.

Go to the Bellm web site and read his article about sizing brass for the Encore. It is just done differently than for a bolt action. No big deal. Tom.
Old December 25, 2008, 11:06 PM   #29
HOGGHEAD

Toneloc

Toneloc---Is your problem with factory rounds or reloaded rounds?? If it is with factory rounds then you need to send the rifle back to TC. If it is with reloaded rounds then you are probably not sizing your brass properly. Go to the Bellm website and read up on the proper way to size for an Encore. Tom.
Old December 26, 2008, 07:28 PM   #30
oryx

WSM Magnum defineitely has it right. For further information and resource you can also go to www.bellmtcs.com Mike is an expert at break open guns and there is tons of info on break open actions and common issues. Frame to barrel gap and headspace is critical in BO actions
Old December 27, 2008, 09:52 AM   #31
R.Childs

WSM Magnum has it exactly right! Don't neck size TC's. I've swapped emails with Mike Bellm of Bellmstc.com on the Encore platform because of a problem I had with someone's custom barrel on an Encore frame. Most ftf and case stretch problems are because of headspace issues.

Toneloc, you need to bump your shoulder back. Your brass is too long. You also need a case guage so you can tell how much you are bumping it back. You need feeler gages to measure the gap between the firing pin bushing and the end of the barrel. Whatever that measurement is, you need to size your brass .001" less than that. Your breech will close and lockup then and you will be running at minimal headspace. Don't necksize, breakopen guns don't have the positive extraction that a boltgun does. Your casings will stick in the chamber, whether it's the first shot or a few shots later.