The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 21, 2002, 02:24 PM   #1
PA_FAL_FAN

Titanium Nitride-Who does this finish?

Looking to refinish a bolt for a .308.
Is Titanium Nitride the most durable finish for this part?

Anyone know who applies the finish and how much it is?
Contact info (Email-Web Site / Phone #) appreciated.

Thanks in advance.!!!
Old October 21, 2002, 07:40 PM   #2
HSMITH

If you want durable I would go with hard chrome unless the gold finish is part of the reason you are looking at TiN coatings. Most industrial refinishing places can do the TiN, but cosmetics may not be perfect. I do not know of gun specific TiN coatings, or companies that do it.

The primary benefit to TiN is extreme pressure and heat resistance, heat and pressures of a magnitude that the bolt of a rifle will never see. Lubricity of TiN is not all that high, and corrosion resistance is on par with hard chrome. TiN is applied with a plasma transfer that makes color nearly impossible to keep perfect on a one-off type of application, the material coated is also heated to a high temp on the surface during coating. Do some research to find out if it will do what you want. I have only used it in industrial settings.

Hope this helps.
Old October 21, 2002, 09:48 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Got a new Walther match .22 bout 98 or so...came with TiN bolt. Looked kinda funky but seemed to do no bad nor good. Gun went down the road with less than 20,000 rounds through it so no idea if it would have helped longevity.

It will make a dimensional change so that has to be accounted for if having it done aftermarket.

Sam
Old October 23, 2002, 11:06 AM   #4
Cmc

Try www.techplate.com
Old October 24, 2002, 07:39 PM   #5
mcrog

Hard chrome

Might try this sight , www.trippresearch.com
Old October 28, 2002, 03:01 PM   #6
don't shoot it's me

www.fordsguns.com
Old October 29, 2002, 08:42 PM   #7
Cheapo

'Splain dis to me, pleeze:

If I can buy a 50-piece drill bit set, in gold Titanium Nitride, for about $20 on sale, sohowcome it costs beega-beega bucks to have a slide or frame done?
Old October 30, 2002, 08:30 PM   #8
saands

Quote:
If I can buy a 50-piece drill bit set, in gold Titanium Nitride, for about $20 on sale, sohowcome it costs beega-beega bucks to have a slide or frame done?
Well for starters:

... the big price tag is not driven by the quantity of TiN material deposited ... when they tool up to run drill bits they run bazillions of them ... most likely in a continuous process so the cost of setting up the process is spread out over many units.

... the bits are easy to get clean, because they haven't been used yet. I've never deposited TiN, but most coatings are extremely sensitive to debris. This goes back to the setup issue above.

... the company that gets the bazillion bits treated is a regular customer ... that always counts for something.

... I almost forgot this one ... the shop that does the bazillion bits is located in China or some comparable labor rate location ... not the case for your slide ...

The list could go on for days ... TiN is a specialty coating and one offs are not going to be cheap.

Good Luck,
Saands