The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 19, 2013, 05:18 AM   #1
cryogenic419

Magpul and leaving Colorado followthrough

Magpul says they will leave the state if the bill was passed.

This goes one of 2 ways...

They follow through with their promise to leave as quickly as possible, leaving other state governments to seriously consider whats more important, jobs for their citizens and incoming tax dollars for the state budget or creating more useless gun laws.

They don't follow through with their promise to leave for whatever reason. State governments from here on out laugh whenever somebody threatens to close up shop and move away, effectively neutering whatever leverage anyone else who tries this in the future may have.

I don't envy the position Magpul is in, and I'm sure its got to be rolling around in their minds as to what in the hell to do.

I saw a new article which talked about Joe Biden cheerleading to some of the politicans out in Colarado. It was summed up as: Biden "emphasized the importance of Colorado's role in shaping national policy around this issue."
I couldnt agree more. I do think a great deal hinges on Magpul's ultimate decision to stay or go.

Thoughts?
Old February 19, 2013, 07:29 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Magpul will pull the ejector and find a better state.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Kimio

They should move to Arizona, a crap ton of support there, if not there perhaps Texas.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:24 AM   #4
MLeake

Or Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, Missouri... lots of places would love to have the business.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Skadoosh

...and I am sure some states will be making serious overtures to entice Magpul to choose their state with very tempting offers. I wouldn't be surprised if some states even offer incentives for their employees to make the move there too.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
BGutzman

I suspect they will be out of their so fast heads will spin, and I congratulate them for doing so if it becomes necessary.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Ralgha

Re: Magpul and leaving Colorado followthrough

They've reiterated that they're serious. I just wish they would have a bigger impact when they leave, they're not that big of a company. It's not like Boeing leaving Washington, or Intel leaving Oregon, I wish it were.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

According to this story, Magpul's departure could crack plastics industry, manufacturer says - Boulder Daily Camera, their departure could have a larger economic impact than some fear.

The article states that Magpul spent $46 million last year, in supplies from various CO companies. The company estimates that they wil spend $85 million for supplies in the coming year. Alfred Manufacturing, in injection mold company, says that if Magpul leaves, they will follow.

If we are to believe the figures the article states, Magpul will directly affect 200 jobs and Alfred will affect 150 jobs. Indirect labor losses are speculative at this point. Regardless, that's a lot of well paying jobs and a loss of a major source of revenue to the Denver metro area.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Armorer-at-Law

How can they not be serious? If their largest selling item (PMAGs) become illegal to manufacture, they have to move at least that part of the business. I doubt their company is so big that they would split the manufacturing among two states other than temporarily during a transition.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:02 AM   #10
KenL

Magpul's influence is pretty big. In addition to Alfred Manufacturing, there are other plastics people that rely on Magpul, and there have been rumblings that they will either follow Magpul or close their doors as there isn't another manufacturer that will fill the vacuum by Magpul leaving.

And they are serious. The bill passes, they're leaving. Although I don't want to see any business leave Colorado, I applaud their decision and their ability to follow it thru.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:09 AM   #11
tulsamal

Quote:
If their largest selling item (PMAGs) become illegal to manufacture, they have to move at least that part of the business.
I don't think it would work that way. Lots of companies produce things that they can't sell to the public. I'm reasonably certain CO would find a way to let them make the PMAG's. They would just have to ship all of them out of the state. Except the ones that the CO police wanted... of course.

G
Old February 19, 2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Fishing_Cabin

This will be interesting to watch if/when Magpul does leave Colorado completely. If they open another manufacturing location, but keep what they already have also, I would view it as more of an empty threat. The best for the political reasons I feel would be fore them to leave Colorado completely.

The only questions I would have is:

1. How long will it take them to move and set back up again, including the ancillary support companies?

2. How big of a hit will it put in to their ability to keep current venders supplied at current levels while they are moving?
Old February 19, 2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Technosavant

It appears that there is an exception that will allow them to manufacture them in state for out of state sale.

Magpul doesn't care. If it passes, they're leaving.

As for how moving will affect things, from what they've said it looks like they're still figuring that out. They're putting things into place so as little interruption as possible happens but I can't imagine that there won't be some hiccup.

I also wonder if some of their suppliers won't move with them. If they don't the disruption could be longer lived until new suppliers are lined up.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:06 PM   #14
comn-cents

This was off of MagPuls FB page, seems pretty big to me.

"Magpul Industries directly employs 200 people, supports another 400 supply-chain jobs, and contributes over $85 million annually to Colorado’s economy. Doug Smith, Chief Operating Officer for Magpul, says that it is a difficult position to be in. "We could choose to stay in a state that wants our jobs and revenue, but not our products, and lose half the jobs we are fighting to save, or potentially the entire business, when our customers stop buying. Or, we can take the company and those 600 jobs out of Colorado to continue our growth and the growth of American manufacturing in a state that shares our values. This is not really a choice. It's an unfortunate and inevitable result of the actions of the Legislature if this bill passes."
Old February 19, 2013, 12:55 PM   #15
JimDandy

Quote:
I don't think it would work that way. Lots of companies produce things that they can't sell to the public.
Pretty Sure Jack Daniels is/was brewed in a dry county so it's not unheard of.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Dr Big Bird PhD

If they move I will continue to support Magpul
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 19, 2013, 12:58 PM   #17
HiBC

I am a Colorado resident.I hope Magpul understand our politicians DO NOT represent the will of the people,they represent their own self interests.

I hope as soon as Magpul gets the presses up and running,they begin a special project,the 15 round "Colorado" series.

Msake them for AR-15's,AR-10's,LR308's,and make lots of them.

I hope they will offer a special price on 7-paks ,maybe $75 or so,and just flood Colorado with them.

Beyond the inconvenience and my "things" ,I have a very large problem with a government that takes steps to criminalize peaceful,law abiding citizens.

I am not a legal scholar,but I also hope someone like Mark Levin and Landmark Legal Foundation will challenge this in court.

And folks in Colorado,we have an election in 2014 .Fire them.Keep a list of every name of every politician that did not actively fight this,believe no more of their lies,remember this forever,become active in politics and FIRE THEM!

As many gun owners as are in Colorado we are powerful if we stick together.
Right now,in a very loud voice,we must let the Governor know,you sign that bill,you are FIRED!

Even non-shooters should get behind that idea.

Magpuls home of Erie,Colorado,was a depressed coal mining town with a race track and an auto salvage yard for an economy.

Magpul came along with an enterprise that gave these folks jobs,a tax base,put their name back on the map.

For the political ambitions of a few hucksters,the future of a community has been sacrificed.

Its not just guns,or magazines.

Its freedom.

Call the Governor.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:01 PM   #18
Tom Servo
Staff

Magpul can and will leave if the law goes into effect. That much is clear. The question remains whether or not the economic impact of them leaving is enough of a deterrent to those pushing gun control laws.

Consider that the people pushing for stricter gun-control laws believe they have a moral imperative to do so. Do you back off on such principles because of a possible economic loss? Right now, a lot of politicians in Colorado believe that the wind is at their back, and that the loss of one tiny little gun parts company (well, that's what they're being told) won't make that much of a dent.

If Magpul leaves, good for them. They'll be in a better business climate, and they'll kept the moral high ground. However, I'm under no illusion that their actions will have much of a political effect.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:20 PM   #19
taylorce1

Unfortunatelty all the bills on gun control brought before the Colorado house passed yesterday. I imagine they will pass the Colorado Senate as well. The problem with Colorado like so many other states is that there isn't equal represetation anymore, with very few counties deciding the outcome of our state. The population density shifted from rural to metro years ago and so now the political views of the state have shifted from conservitive to liberal.

I don't know of any good way to get our voices heard that have rural roots or make a living in the Farming/Ranching, hunting, and shooting industry because the liberals in power won't listen to anything outside their agenda. My hopes are that the new "fee" for back ground checks gets squashed by TABOR since in essence it is a tax which has to be voted on by the people. My other hopes as well is that RMGO, GOA, and NRA all file law suits to help us out.

Magpul will leave Colorado as well they should even though they gave an exemption for the manufacture of magazines larger than 15 rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if Gre-Tan and other well know Gunsmiths in the industry leave as well. These bills are going to have a bigger effect than the politicans think on the Colorado economy. I think you will see as well people just refusing to obey the new laws.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:54 PM   #20
TLeo

If correct that Magpul contributes $85 million to the economy, that amount of lost revenue is not small change to a state's economy. I'm sure that includes their taxes, employees taxes, sales of all sorts of products to the company and employees etc.
I applaud Magpul for taking a stand and hope all you voters out there get rid of a bunch of crooked politicians next election. That is something all of us need to do next time as well.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:16 PM   #21
jag2

Could be wrong but I don't think the bill makes it illegal to manufacture the mags, just illegal to sell them in CO. The height of hypocrisy. Sure we want your tax dollars just don't sell your nasty products here. Can you imagine Virginia and the Carolinas banning the sale of cigarettes?
Old February 19, 2013, 04:06 PM   #22
taylorce1

The original bill made it illegal to manufacturer and sell magazines larger than 15 rounds. However when Magpul threatened to pull up stakes the bill was modified to allow for manufacture but no retail sales in CO of magazines larger than 15 rounds. I think Magpul's reply was if you ban sales we're leaving anyway because CO would still require a serial number on every may larger than 15 rounds for proof of manufacturer date. I imagine it wouldn't take long to relocate to Cheyenne, and WY would be happy to have them.
Old February 19, 2013, 04:06 PM   #23
zincwarrior

Quote:
I am a Colorado resident.I hope Magpul understand our politicians DO NOT represent the will of the people,they represent their own self interests.

I hope as soon as Magpul gets the presses up and running,they begin a special project,the 15 round "Colorado" series.

Msake them for AR-15's,AR-10's,LR308's,and make lots of them.

I hope they will offer a special price on 7-paks ,maybe $75 or so,and just flood Colorado with them.

Beyond the inconvenience and my "things" ,I have a very large problem with a government that takes steps to criminalize peaceful,law abiding citizens.

I am not a legal scholar,but I also hope someone like Mark Levin and Landmark Legal Foundation will challenge this in court.

And folks in Colorado,we have an election in 2014 .Fire them.Keep a list of every name of every politician that did not actively fight this,believe no more of their lies,remember this forever,become active in politics and FIRE THEM!

As many gun owners as are in Colorado we are powerful if we stick together.
Right now,in a very loud voice,we must let the Governor know,you sign that bill,you are FIRED!
Not trying to pick a fight but when both houses and the governor easily draft and promise to sign, I'd say that conflicts with your statement.
Old February 19, 2013, 04:27 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

Quote:
...and I am sure some states will be making serious overtures to entice Magpul to choose their state with very tempting offers. I wouldn't be surprised if some states even offer incentives for their employees to make the move there too.
Magpul has made a few statements about having the contingency fully worked out, and ready to be put into action immediately.

To me, that sounds like they already know where they're headed, but don't want to say it.
Old February 19, 2013, 05:03 PM   #25
2damnold4this

I'll bet a lot of governors and state legislatures in gun friendly states would offer big tax breaks to Magpul. They'd get more jobs and they'd be building up their pro 2nd Amendment credentials.