The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 27, 2012, 05:20 PM   #26
Rifleman 173

Another thing that you might want to consider is a compensated barreled pistol. Pistols that are compensated have vents cut out near the end of their barrels to reduce felt recoil. That means when you shoot a 9 mm pistol you feel almost no recoil at all. For years now I have carried a Glock 22-C pistol and I love it.

Compensated pistols came out for competition shooters so that they could better stay on target. If I were you, I would try to locate a compensated 9 mm pistol, like a Glock 17-C, for your bad wrist situation. Or go to a gun store near you that has an indoor range where you can try out different firearms. Call and see if they have any compensated pistols for you to run a comparison on to see if such an idea might work for your shooting needs.

http://www.proguns.com/glock-17c.asp

http://www.bhgunrack.com/viewproduct...d=96&inv_ID=83
Old October 30, 2012, 11:28 AM   #27
allaroundhunter

Compensated pistols of the Glock variety typically do not offer any reduced felt recoil over their non-compensated counterparts. Especially in the 9mm versions, there just isn't enough recoil to begin with to notice a difference. Also, muzzle blast adds to perceived recoil for many people, especially new shooters. That would make the compensated models a very bad choice in my opinion.

And personally, I would not want to carry a compensated pistol for CCW or use one for nightstand duty. If you do have to fire one in low-light, that muzzle flash will diminish your ability to make good follow up shots.
Old October 30, 2012, 11:32 AM   #28
jimbob86

Quote:
Especially in the 9mm versions, there just isn't enough recoil to begin with to notice a difference.
That's a subjective thing- if the guy has recoil issues, then any reduction in recoil matters.
Old October 30, 2012, 10:19 PM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...if the guy has recoil issues, then any reduction in recoil matters.
I've worked with shooters who have problems with their hands, and it's surprising how sensitive they are to recoil differences. They can easily differentiate between the recoil levels of guns that I consider to recoil identically.
Old October 31, 2012, 06:45 AM   #30
2000ShadowACE

Try firing a .357 with .38 special rounds. I find the recoil to be just a little more than my 22 mag. You can practice with the 38s and load the magnums for home defense.